ISO 9001:2015 & ISO 14001 Re-Certification Audit Preparation

Steel2018

Registered
I am a new EQMS manager taking over a system that has been left a mess by the previous holder. We will be up for re-certification audit in the next 6 months and would really appreciate any valuable information that will help make the audit go smoothly.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Welcome, Steel.

That is a pretty generic question, especially as we don't know what the current state is or the gaps. Going to guess you're in the steel industry? Spent 10 years in that field and I still miss the smell of it.

I recommend that as specific questions or situations arise, you provide details and ask your pointed questions in individual posts.

Steel2018

Registered
Thank you, I thought I would create a generic thread and add questions into it as they came up. I like your idea better.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Thank you, I thought I would create a generic thread and add questions into it as they came up. I like your idea better.

Also try the Search function before asking a question - we may have previously discussed it.

Dr. IJ Arora

Involved In Discussions
I am a new EQMS manager taking over a system that has been left a mess by the previous holder. We will be up for re-certification audit in the next 6 months and would really appreciate any valuable information that will help make the audit go smoothly.

Is the MS (management system/ EQMS) an integrated system? ISO 9001 + ISO 14001? Is the system correctly transitioned to 2015? The fact that you have concluded it is left in a mess, you are seeing the gaps? have you recorded these gaps?

There are two ways of going around this situation. Both can be taken care of in the given period.
Option 1 is to establish the system has been transitioned correctly, but not implemented correctly.
Option 2 is there are gaps in the MS itself, and the MS needs to be completed or re-designed.
In both cases do a gap analysis. Several templates are publicly available. I can send one. Use them to get your gaps clear, so you can work on them. Two training will help too, one orientation for all employees, the orientation training. This can be just a couple of hours. This way the employees know what is expected from them. They must be on board. Then most important the leadership should be with you. They need a 3 hour training: Awareness Leaders Workshop.
Consider these inputs and please ask more questions. Good luck.

Ian_Morris

Involved In Discussions
I have done this a couple of times now. Hopefully it isnt too obvious, but my first steps in both situations were:

- carry out internal audits so you know where your operational problems and inconsistencies are (if any)
- carry out a management system review and identify gaps
- make sure you have the mandatory elements in place that would create a major non-conformance
- make sure you have a corrective action / improvement record
- have an improvement plan, work like crazy to close out as many non-conformances as possible before the audit.
- undertake an extra management review to bring management up to speed
- work with the auditor to create an understanding of future plans and confidence that the system is in good hands.

Happy hunting

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Your colleagues may thank you if you engaged them in developing their management system for converting customer needs into cash in the bank while limiting adverse environmental impacts instead of resurrecting a collection of documents implemented to obtain certification.

You’ll note that it is the business system that delivers quality services and products and ISO 9001 now, belatedly, makes this clear.

Ask your colleagues to see what they think of the “ISO System” (if that is what it is called) and they may confirm that it was a pain in the butt and did not reflect what company actually did to prevent pollution and create satisfied customers.

Please let us know how you do.

Top Bottom