Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

ISO 9001:2015 Small Operation Management Review

JNIKQ

Registered
In a small company operated by 1 person with occasional help from a part time assistant, what would an auditor expect to find, and would be considered adequate for Management Review and competent personnel documentation? This is a one man machine shop working out of his garage wanting to comply with ISO 9001: 2015. Thanks all.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Any customer that requires a 1-man machine shop supplier to be ISO 9001 certified has attested it's ignorance of supply chain management and ISO 9001.

As for the OP question, the answer is: highly dependent on the actual auditor "assessing" your system. Over here, you will get only speculation.

Randy

Super Moderator
Exactly the same subject matter as for a 5000 employee company, just not as much. It's all relevant (I do have a 1.5 to 2 person audit client so I know 1st hand)

JNIKQ

Registered
Thank you to those who have replied so quickly. In response, this is not a small operation seeking ISO 9001:2015 Certification, it is a supplier responding to a customer requesting "compliance" to the standard. This assessment would be from a 2nd party perspective. I realize a customer requiring a small supplier to be ISO Certified doesn't make much sense, but I have seen the major aerospace companies require certification to AS9100D. So where do you draw the line, as far as the size of the operation to seek ISO Certification? Is there any reason for a small operation to not seek to meet the standard requirements?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Is there any reason for a small operation to not seek to meet the standard requirements?
Ask yourself what are you going to do differently other than create bureaucracy and redundant records to satisfy a customer auditor?

Would you machine parts and inspect them, differently? Chances are, you will just do fluff to please an auditor.

Keep it simple. But I can guarantee your 1 man shop does more "management review" than the 1000 man shop. It just occurs at all hours of the day. You just need a place to document it -- so a checklist type of form that hits all the requirements laid out works really well. Every time you hit something during the year, check the form.

Competency can be done thru self evaluation. Good luck.

Top Bottom