Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

ISO 9001 8.4 applied to 7.1.3 - Suppliers of infrastructure requirements - IT and Print solutions

Hello all,
I'm sure that this has been discussed many time before, however can anyone provide guidance on suppliers of infrastructure requirements being subject to controls under 8.4 externally provided processes, product or service. As a consultancy business, notwithstanding reports; we have externally provided processes, product or service incorporated into our business. However, I'm being informed that our purchase of IT and Print solutions (our infrastructure) should be subject to 8.4 requirements. I cant see that the standard explicitly makes this link as it often does cross reference requirements.

Tagin

Involved In Discussions
>> However, I'm being informed that our purchase of IT and Print solutions (our infrastructure) should be subject to 8.4 requirements.

By whom? An auditor?

A useful guide is ISO 9002:2016 ("Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001:2015"). Some relevant remarks in 8.4.2:

The type and extent of control is based on what the potential impact that the externally provided process, product or service can have on the organization’s ability to consistently deliver conforming products and services.

EXAMPLE In a printing organization, the paper quality could be critical. However, a travel agency might use normal, commercial stationery without the need for any quality related purchasing controls. The printing organization needs to monitor the performance of its paper providers very closely to ensure that the quality of its printed products remains at the expected level.

The organization should determine which controls are to be implemented by or for an external provider. The intent of these controls is to ensure that product or service provision will be carried out according to planned arrangements and that the product or service will conform to requirements
So, you need to make the evaluation as to the extent those suppliers affect your company's "ability to consistently deliver conforming products and services". Without knowing more about how you specifically use those supplier services, it would be impossible to make any blanket statement.

Hello all,
I'm sure that this has been discussed many time before, however can anyone provide guidance on suppliers of infrastructure requirements being subject to controls under 8.4 externally provided processes, product or service. As a consultancy business, notwithstanding reports; we have externally provided processes, product or service incorporated into our business. However, I'm being informed that our purchase of IT and Print solutions (our infrastructure) should be subject to 8.4 requirements. I cant see that the standard explicitly makes this link as it often does cross reference requirements.
As recently Sidney cleared up
When the product of your supplier Is incorporated in your product, You have to filter against 8.4, could you explain in detail what do you produce?

Top Bottom