ISO 9001 Applicable Requirements for a Company Website?

P

Phiobi

I guess this comes down to "How far do you take 9001?" You could argue then that adverts placed in a magazine by a company holding ISO9001 should be identified and revision controlled?!
I'm not saying they should or shouldn't but I can imagine the debates if a CB tried to write up an NC because said company advertised in News Weekly and didn't state the Rev # at the bottom of the advert ;-)

J

JaneB

I guess this comes down to "How far do you take 9001?" You could argue then that adverts placed in a magazine by a company holding ISO9001 should be identified and revision controlled?!
I'm not saying they should or shouldn't but I can imagine the debates if a CB tried to write up an NC because said company advertised in News Weekly and didn't state the Rev # at the bottom of the advert ;-)
No! No! No! I am most definitely not saying that, and neither is the Standard. :frust:

What ISO 9001 requires is that the organisation controls its documents and records. How the organisation does that, and to what extent is up to the organisation, its context and the effect of control (or lack of same) on its ability to supply conforming products and services.

That's why the Standard has that bit about the 'controls needed' as in:

A documented procedure shall be established to define the controls needed.

Too many people ignore that part and/or (mis)interpret 4.2.3 to read something like 'everything has to be revision controlled' (for example). Sigh.

Again, it does not explicitly either say or require that! For engineering drawings, it would be hard to argue that revision control is not required. For ads, often one only does a single ad at a single point and at a single point in time.

Ads? Well, I still contend you need some kind of control over the content, but lesser control. YOU try getting the News Weekly (or whoever) to refund your money because you sent 'em the wrong text, left over from the last time you advertised for an XYZ, 2 years ago, when the job has changed a lot since, and a new job description has been produced in the meantime, but you advertised for the wrong job. Big waste of everyone's time. And avoiding such stuff is the primary purpose of controlling documents suitably. Sigh.

Focus on context, risk and importance. Perhaps your company is a recruiting company, placing ads for clients? In that case, I'd pay close attention to whether they are stuffing up said ads frequently / regularly. If it isn't, and it was simply a one off, then surely any reasonable & competent auditor would be pursuing more worthwhile issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Ah, Phil. Now that would presume that the only way of controlling documents is by having a lot of numbers over them. :mg:

... and we all know that there are 101 ways os skinning a cat! :D

P

Phiobi

Again Paul agreed. Though I will add I didn't actually say put numbers on the advert, just it might need to be identified and controlled ;-)

I could do with a devils advocate emoticon for future reference!

V

vanputten

Our controlled documents have defined distributions that the document control department follows. Some documents have an elecronic distribution to our website to ensure these documents are the most current revision.

G

Geoff Withnell

Ah, Phil. Now that would presume that the only way of controlling documents is by having a lot of numbers over them. :mg:

... and we all know that there are 101 ways os skinning a cat! :D

Which is why we need a documented work instruction on how to skin a cat, with Visio swimlane diagrams and SIPOC charts! :lol: (humor off)

P

PittsburghBrass

Re: Website - ISO 9000 applicable requirements?

I think it is a bit of a stretch to consider your web site as a document that needs to be controlled.

Big Jim is right as far as having a website as a controlled document.

On the other hand, in making the assumption that your website is a tool in providing a product or service to your customers, in the process-mapping scheme, you may want to consider Section 7.2, Customer-related processes; i.e. if your website drives sales to customers, how does that process relate to requirements of this section.

Top Bottom