ISO 9001 Application to my Business for the Production side of things only

B

Benjibb

Hi there,

I work for a company that personalizes credit and debit card's (smart cards) physical and logical characteristics, ie the software on the chips and magnetic stripes as well as the information printed on the cards themselves. The company consists of a data handling team and a production team. So our customers, the banks, send us the data required to personalize the smart cards. That data is then decrypted, processed and sent down to the production floor. I wanted to implement ISO 9001 for the production side of things only, as i feel it would be most benificial for the company to do so. Would ISO require me to include the data handling aswell?

Thanks

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hi there,

I work for a company that personalizes credit and debit card's (smart cards) physical and logical characteristics, ie the software on the chips and magnetic stripes as well as the information printed on the cards themselves. The company consists of a data handling team and a production team. So our customers, the banks, send us the data required to personalize the smart cards. That data is then decrypted, processed and sent down to the production floor. I wanted to implement ISO 9001 for the production side of things only, as i feel it would be most benificial for the company to do so. Would ISO require me to include the data handling aswell?

Thanks
My feeling is that it would be more beneficial for the company to include data handling as well as production, for I feel these two seperate a specific sections constitute YOUR ORGANIZATION.
ISO does not require you to include anything specific, but the process of organization and interactions with customer and supplier can be mapped well when you see your whole organization as the entity to apply the ISO 9001 scope.
:topic:
Would you prefer to set only the kitchen tidy and expect customers to enjoy the food in the dinning hall ... ? OR would you prefer the complete hotel tidy.

Big Jim

Admin
I'm not sure you would be well served by your approach.

Bear in mind that ISO 9001 is a systems (or process) approach to managing quality. It entails much more than just monitoring product quality. If product quality was all that was addressed, the standard would be MUCH shorter, mostly dealing with items in section 7.

In my mind, there are two critical reasons for having a quality management system. The first is to make sure that product quality is high enough that no junk escapes. The second supports the first. The second is continual improvement. To have continual improvement, the rest of the standard is needed.

If you are seeking to accomplish the first only, ISO 9001 probably is not for you.

AndyN

Moved On
Hi there,

Thanks

As with other posts, you can't really apply ISO 9001 just to one function of a business. It sends the wrong 'message' to just about everyone, your customers will see the limited scope on your certificate (if you can actually get registered) and you'll have a problem when you come to implement it in other areas. Frankly, as others have asked before you, you'll end up feeding a monster!

Use ISO 9001 across the board, then look at ISO 27001 for the security of client data!

B

Benjibb

Ok thanks alot for the input everyone. Im going to start from the first interaction with the customer to the delivery of the final product, ie every single business process as opposed to just the production process. Im really glad i found this site!!

Cheers!

somashekar

Leader
Admin
You are welcome and do come back as often as you need to. We do like to know how things progressed with your plan and everyone here are keen learners to know from everyone's experience across ~~~
Good luck.
~~ :) ~~

Top Bottom