ISO 9001 Certified - Active Six Sigma - What Next?

W

wny4ever

We are a global manufacturing company, have a mature QMS, have been certified to ISO 9001 since 1994, have an active Six Sigma process. Recently used ISO 9004 to rate our QMS. What next? Looking for recommendations on other systems, areas, tools to explore/implement to improve our QMS.

AndyN

Moved On
We are a global manufacturing company, have a mature QMS, have been certified to ISO 9001 since 1994, have an active Six Sigma process. Recently used ISO 9004 to rate our QMS. What next? Looking for recommendations on other systems, areas, tools to explore/implement to improve our QMS.

You might need to tell us more about how well the QMS functions, first. Being certified is a lot different - sadly - from having a really well oiled QMS...

W

wny4ever

ISO 9004 ratings as follows:
Managing for the sustained success of an organization - 4.0
Strategy & policy - 4.7
Resource management - 3.6
Process management - 3.5
Monitoring, measurement, analysis & review - 3.2
Improvement, innovation & learning - 4.0
OVERALL (average) - 3.8

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Strategy & policy - 4.7
Process management - 3.5
OVERALL (average) - 3.8

What is it that's preventing further improvement?

Last edited:
W

wny4ever

Nothing.
Looking for recommendations on other systems, areas, tools, etc.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I can answer this in two ways:

first directly and 'blindly' answerign your stated question:
  • have you considered Lean? both from manufacturing and business process standpoint but also leaning out your QMS processes?
  • have you considered how to improve your customer experience? the delight part not just minimizing the dissatisfaction?

The second way to answer your question is with a question of my own: what is not to your liking in your company's performance that are not addresed by your current QMS or by will not be addressed by six sigma?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
What is it that's preventing further improvement?

Nothing.
Looking for recommendations on other systems, areas, tools, etc.

Let me rephrase the question. Given your own appraisal of the state of things, you seem to be doing very well. This means that there are people in your company who have been successful in making it happen. Your question makes it sound like you're looking for a bandwagon to jump on while you probably have the resources you need to continue the positive results. Why not just go ahead and do it?

W

wny4ever

Not looking for a "bandwagon".
("Bandwagons" make lots of noise and wander aimlessly. That's neither my style nor my company's.)
Looking for helpful advice from quality professionals/colleagues for continual improvement.
I don't pretend to know it all, so I am polling the participants in this very fine resource.

AndyN

Moved On
Strategy & policy - 4.7
Process management - 3.5
OVERALL (average) - 3.8

Well, the average score isn't much of an indicator...

On Monitoring etc you're a 3.2? Doesn't that affect the Process Management score of 3.5? Seems to me that application of what you've already got to these areas would benefit you, before you start looking around for something new. What's the story behind these scores?

Top Bottom