ISO 9001 Clauses which should be known by every one in the organization?

Z

zkshazly - 2010

Hello,
What are the Clauses which should be known by every one in the orgnization?
Thank you for your great help
Best regards,

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Re: ISO Cluases which should be known by every one in the orgnization

Everyone should be aware of the quality policy (5.3) and objectives (5.4.1).
Depending on their functions there are clauses which apply.
Instead of teaching employees the clauses, companies usually have general ISO training which cover the minimum requirements for the organization. They also provide specific training to each department.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

I agree with Danny. :agree1:

It's not value-added for all employees to be able to recite a standard's clause. They don't even need to know the policy by heart. I have never met an auditor that requires reciting any standard's clause.

What they do need to know at the least, and be ready to describe, is how they contribute to product quality and customer satisfaction. They need to be able to verbalize, in their own words okay but showing they understand its nature and scope, the policy. They need to be able to locate their most current form of instructions to make sure the QMS is followed, again in pursuit of product/service quality. Things like that.

S

somerqc

I partially agree. In fact, I almost never bring up the actual clause. I will give them a paraphased version of the standard.

Unfortunately, I find non-quality people want to look at the standard and have it tell them what to do. As we all know, ISO 9001 doesn't do that. Due to this, I still get asked the questions even if they read the standard. Instead, I concentrate my efforts on ensuring that everyone understands their roles and responsibilities within processes that they are involved in. If everyone does that, it is no longer "We are doing for ISO" and becomes "This is what I do". We are getting there but still need some time.

John

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Re: ISO Clauses which should be known by every one in the orgnization

Hello,
Best regards,

There is no requirement for anyone in the organization to know any of the clauses of the standard.

It may help if the MR / Quality person knows them but they don't have to .... ;)

As regards all the other elements of the standards - relevant people in different areas need to know how they apply in your organization but not where they are in the standard.

Re Q. Policy and objectives - as has been posted in a number of other threads they should know how both apply to them but nothing about word for word.

Imo there is no such clause. but:

relevant people in different areas need to know how they apply in your organization but not where they are in the standard.
Yes. :agree1: When we create a QMS, we are in essence translating the standard to our own internal lingo.

Zkshazly: Suitably modified, both your question and the previous answers are still relevant: Which parts of the QMS should be known by the entire organization? Shall we continue along those lines?

/Claes

Randy

Super Moderator

Knowledge is relevant to roles and responsibilities.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Everyone should be aware of the quality policy (5.3) and objectives (5.4.1).

One can be aware of those without knowing anything about ISO 9000. The standard has requirements for those things to exist, but doesn't tell what they are for any specific company.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Hello,
Best regards,

People need to know:
  1. How to do their own jobs (in accordance with any standardized methods that might exist);
  2. How their jobs affect customers;
  3. How the performance of their jobs helps to support the company's quality policy.
Knowledge of all of these things is (or should be) independent of knowledge of ISO-9000.

Z

zkshazly - 2010

Re: ISO 9001 Clauses which should be known by every one in the orgnization

Mr.Claes Gefvenberg
YES
Which parts of the QMS should be known & Implemented by evey one inside the organization?
Regards;

Top Bottom