Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

ISO 9001 Ergonomics and Manual Handling Requirements

auditorsos

Starting to get Involved
G'day everyone, newbie to the Forum here.

I've been an internal auditor for ISO9001 for around 16 years on and off.
We have a surveillance audit coming up.

Reading through the last report we have OFI on Manual Handling and Ergonomics of all things....really, are these part of the ISO9001:2008 standard (that is what we are still certificated to)? First time that I've heard this.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Randy

Super Moderator
Right, it is only an OFI now. If it were a nonconformance it could possibly be written under 6.3. 6.4, or 7.1a.
No it couldn't. It's a really long stretch at best. Unless the auditor can demonstrate "competence" in human factors engineering, ergonomics safety and OSHA material handling and tie it all in to "preserving/protecting product" this is a trail he best not go down

auditorsos

Starting to get Involved
Thanks Mike S, there was no reason it was brought up other than - what do you have in place? I find this a bit of a fine line as what has it got to do with getting product out of the door. In understand the welfare of staff etc, but....?

Hi, auditorsos.Yes, you're right there is no place for an OFI from a CB's auditor unless s/he has seen a situation where handling or (even more tenuous) ergonomics could lead to a situation where product conformity or service provision could be compromised.

The worst thing about having the OFI in the report is you will (probably) be asked to respond on it and OFIs tend to lead to NCRs through escalation. You should clearly state that this OFI is not appropriate (assuming it is).

Mike S.

An Early 'Cover'
Trusted
No it couldn't. It's a really long stretch at best. Unless the auditor can demonstrate "competence" in human factors engineering, ergonomics safety and OSHA material handling and tie it all in to "preserving/protecting product" this is a trail he best not go down
Disagree. I can see it happening legitimately even if the auditor is just a normal person and not a PhD in those disciplines you named.

The OFI was on "Manual Handling and Ergonomics".

Say you have large and heavy products, like say a motor, that needs to be lifted, moved, rotated, etc. to be worked on and inspected. If you require a person to manually manipulate this around their workbench and it results in the product and/or the worker getting damaged/injured and/or not properly assembled/repaired/inspected because of handling issues not being properly addressed I can see a NC or OFI, depending on exact circumstances without it being a "long stretch".

auditorsos

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for your input everyone, we have put some signage up in each area with ergonomics (sitting at ones desk) and Lifting (the correct way) hopefully that should satisfy the Auditor. We shall be carrying out training on manual handling in the next few months.

Top Bottom