ISO 9001 implementation at a prototyping shop

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
John, now I know you don't really mean this, so for the 'newbies' who come here and leave with advice, you may wish to reconsider such a sweeping statement and modify your, philosophically correct but technically flawed, statement!

Most businesses don't do all of what ISO 9001 requires - take audits as an example. If they didn't implement 'ISO' they be in non-conformance wouldn't they? Not much good if you want an effective system or even want to be certified......
Sure, some new key processes will be required. They comprise 5 to 15% of the management system effort (rarely more).

Each of these new key processes is designed per clause 7.3 using the relevant clause (such as 8.2.2) as input additional to the process objective.

But first the organization's inherent system needs to be exposed, understood and documented to the extent necessary for effective planning, operation and control in the manner I have described (but I am always ready to learn of a better method).

This approach of not "implementing the standard" results in better understanding of the system that is running the business and one that also happens to conform to the system standard.

"Implementing the standard" is how some organizations end up with "ISO systems" and some of these are even kept on the I-drive!

AndyN

Moved On
Thanks for that clarification! John, I knew that there was a well meaning motive behind your statement! I'm glad you were willing to enhance your post with that description for those readers who (might) "read and run"..........;)

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks for that clarification! John, I knew that there was a well meaning motive behind your statement! I'm glad you were willing to enhance your post with that description for those readers who (might) "read and run"..........;)
Thanks Andy, I have edited my original reply accordingly to avoid the read and run...

Top Bottom