ISO 9001 Internal Audit Checklist

G

Goldstarr

Members

I am not sure if similar threads were posted before. I could not find any related to this. I am looking for the internal Audit checklist for ISO that may be used for conducting internal audit. Can anyone share the templates which have used in carrying out the internal audit.

Thank you all in advance for the help

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Re: ISO 9001 - Looking for an Internal Audit Checklist

We have couple of good internal audit checklists

EDIT: OBSOLETE LINK DELETED.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy

Super Moderator

Pre-packaged, regurjitated, checklists won't accomplish what you need to do.

The best checklist you can use for internal audits, beyond making sure that the basic management system elements are in place, are your own documents (procedures, instructions, policies, flow charts, plans, how to do it instructions or whatever you call stuff).

Take a document, any document, read it line-by-line and verify that stuff is happening the way the document states that it is supposed to happen such as ..."The operator will ... " , well make sure the operator does what the document says he/she is supposed to do. If a measurement is supposed to happen, make sure stuff is measured, if a record is supposed to be kept, make sure there is a record

It is no more difficult than that. Almost without fail, on nearly every audit I do (about 100 or so this year) the auditee is surprised when I find out that they said they will do something and show them where they aren't. Why? About 99% of the time they are doing their internal audits with some pre-programmed checklist and not getting into their own documents as they should....It's like playing Russian Roulette with a loaded single shot pistol and expecting no injury.

There is absolutely no way that anyone will have any kind of checklist for your stuff.

Note: If you don't know what Russian Roulette is follow the link:

Wikipedia reference-linkRussian_roulette

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource

Our ISO 9001 system is established enough to where we just audit the procedures, processes, work instructions, etc. to ensure we're following them. And try to suggest opportunities for improvement if possible.
Once you get a system that adheres to the requirements, let go of those checklists!!!

Always rotating auditors because they see things differently and suggest different ideas. It's really working very well!

AndyN

Moved On

Members

I am not sure if similar threads were posted before.I could not find any related to this.I am looking for the internal Audit checklist for ISO that may be used for conducting internal audit. Can anyone share the templates which have used in carrying out the internal audit.

Thank you all in advance for the help

As Randy suggested and I'll add, the biggest mistake people make starting out an internal audit is thinking someone else's checklist is going to be any use to them. It would be like going on a grocery shopping trip with someone else's shopping list! OK, so there may be some basics - eggs, bread etc. but these are like document and record control. The rest of the list isn't going to be any good!

The most effective audits are done by people who invest in sitting down and planning their audit, and then derive their own list of items they wish to observe and question the specific process people about. Nothing else works, frankly, despite what some others may tell you. Canned checklists are the biggest hole you can dig for yourself and jump into when it comes to doing audits ineffectively.

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions

I normally use the work instructions and make a customize checklist when conducting an ISO9001 based process audit. Happy New Year!

S

supermac

I would endorse what has already been said. To give some credence to that viewpoint, ask yourself this - what do I do if the answer to one of the items on the checklist is no? it could be a nonconformance, or it may be not applicable, or you may be asking the wrong person/function etc. I addition to the previous suggestions a good place to start with almost any person is - what is your job, who do you interact with and how do you know you are successful? THEN ask the questions, what process/procedure/work instructions/training... I hope this helps.

G

guruprasadb

Hi
this thread contains Internal Audit Report Example Template
Internal Audit Report Example Template

we have started preparing check sheet for every process but to suggestion of all our internal auditors to have open audits, we have stopped preparing but any how i am attaching the Audit checklist prepared might be use ful

Attachments

• Audit Checklist Internal Audit .xls
    28 KB · Views: 4,480
  • Audit Checklist Maintenance.xls
    42.5 KB · Views: 2,045
Last edited by a moderator:
C

ChrissieO

As the well know 60s pop duo "Andy and Randy" have both said. Check lists for most standards, especially 9001 are of no value whatsoever to an auditor, the auditee or the organisation. The use of them results in tick box audits that look at the compliance to the standards rather than the actual processes.

Please tell me they don't still teach auditors to use check lists on auditng courses. They are my pet hate and I will not stop my campaign against them until they are banished into room 101 for ever:whip::whip::whip:

Chrissie

drgnrider

Quite Involved in Discussions

Had Lead Auditor training back in July, they recommended not too. :frust:

Our company is about to have our third Registrar audit next month. I know my company uses these... (previous QMR is now Factory Director and he was the creator of this process). I am going to TRY to adjust them :lmao: to be more process oriented, especially since out last RA said this about our IA process:
"Auditor notes show they are focused on the right issues; however audit planning continues to be based on clauses and not always on the system processes."

I also will have our IA's follow the RA's and observe what they are doing to see where they can improve.

I guess we are getting grief :argue: from our sister-plants about using these. :notme:

Top Bottom