ISO 9001 Quality Management Representative Qualifications

L

Leila

Our company has proceeded with our ISO 9001:2000 certification with DNV for our accounting and purchasing departments. I am a manager of the accounting department and have been previously appointed to be the QMR. However it was denied due to the reason that I am concurrently the manager of the department that seeks certification. May I know if it is true that I cannot be qualified to be the QMR of our organization.

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: Quality Management Representative Qualifications

Here is the only requirement there is...judge for yourself

5.5.2 Management representative
Top management shall appoint a member of management who, irrespective of other responsibilities,.............

Do you meet this requirement? Yes No

Q

Quality Priest

I dont have the 2008 standard yet but I did read in a Draft copy the Quality Management Representative should be a member of the company (cant remember the exact wording).
This would mean that you would not be able to use a Consulate for example

AndyN

Moved On

Our company has proceeded with our ISO 9001:2000 certification with DNV for our accounting and purchasing departments. I am a manager of the accounting department and have been previously appointed to be the QMR. However it was denied due to the reason that I am concurrently the manager of the department that seeks certification. May I know if it is true that I cannot be qualified to be the QMR of our organization.

If you are saying your DNV auditor wrote a non-conformity for you being the QMR because you are the dept. manager, they are wrong and you should appeal the finding to the DNV management office. Please clarify this is what happened.

L

Leila

Hi Andy,

What I meant was that we are still about to start preparing for the ISO certification. Our consultant who was hired to help us in the certification process previously told me that I were to be the QMR but when this person asked confirmation from DNV contact person if I can still be the QMR despite my position of being the accounting manager the DNV contact person said that I am not qualified as there will be conflict in my position as QMR and at the same time the accounting manager of the department that seeks certification.

But as Randy mentioned in his comment states that " Top management shall appoint a member of management who, irrespective of other responsibilities... " with this statement I would conclude that I can be appointed as the QMR.

AndyN

Moved On

Yes, indeed, you can and should!

In fact you might want to stop the registration process and/or find another CB. Anyone who brings this (weird)kind of mis-interpretation to you, right at the start, should be avoided. What else are they going to find when the audit process/surveillances start?

Randy

Super Moderator

Hi Andy,

What I meant was that we are still about to start preparing for the ISO certification. Our consultant who was hired to help us in the certification process previously told me that I were to be the QMR but when this person asked confirmation from DNV contact person if I can still be the QMR despite my position of being the accounting manager the DNV contact person said that I am not qualified as there will be conflict in my position as QMR and at the same time the accounting manager of the department that seeks certification.

But as Randy mentioned in his comment states that " Top management shall appoint a member of management who, irrespective of other responsibilities... " with this statement I would conclude that I can be appointed as the QMR.

There is no such thing as a conflict of interest in a case like this. Whoever told you this is wrong. The "only" requirement is clearly stated in my post above, there will be a slight change in the 2008 revision but it will not affect you. Quite honestly you aren't even "required" to be able to spell "Quality" or read and write for that matter.

harry

Trusted Information Resource

Get it from the 'Horses' mouth instead of second or third hand news. Often, stories get twisted along the way especially by people who don't quite understand what it is all about.

Give them a call and you'll be surprised how helpful and friendly they can be (at least that's how they are over in my place - thanks to competition).

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

If true, this answer from DNV is as nonsensical as having a certification scope that only includes 2 departments of an organization. Are you going only for the piece of paper? Why isn't the rest of the organization included in the scope of certification? Give me the name of the DNV people you are dealing with and I will make some internal contacts.

By the way, a management rep must still be competent for the position. If s/he were illiterate, as Randy alludes, there would be questions about competence.

Randy

Super Moderator

By the way, a management rep must still be competent for the position. If s/he were illiterate, as Randy alludes, there would be questions about competence.

I've never seen level of literacy in the definition for competence. I've seen some incredibly literate people who were as about as incompetent as they come with the tasks they were trying to perform. My understanding is that competence is the ability to apply knowledge and skill, not read and write. I could be wrong, but I doubt it in this case. Stevie Wonder and Ronnie Millsap probably can't read or write music but I think they are competent musician's. The Bushmen in the Kalahari can't read or write, but I think they are competent in survival and could probably teach it as well.

Do you have a different definition?

Top Bottom