ISO 9001 Quality Policy Content Critique and Extended Discussion

K

KRAPO

Quality Policy Critique

COULD I GET SOME CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK ON OUR QUALITY POLICY??

" XXX INC. SUPPLIES PRODUCTS AND SERVICES THAT MEET OR EXCEED CUSTOMER EXPECTATIONS AND DELIVERY REQUIREMENTS, THROUGH CUSTOMER FOCUS AND CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT."

THANX IN ADVANCE ;)

Randy

Super Moderator
Continual instead of continuouss for the purists. There is a difference between the 2.

Where is "committment" to anything?

Kinda bland...look at some other policies, then do yours.

Remember, the policy is basically a theory that the system is to bring to reality.

The policy is the "Prime Directive".

The policy is the foundation or the keystone the organization is going to build its QMS on or around. Turn the document pyramid upside down. The policy holds everything up.

Basically what you have is a nice, warm, fuzzy, pablem tasting, dull, blase', approach. Make it live!!!

D

David Hartman

You might consider developing, or reviewing, your company's objectives, and authoring your policy statement as an statement that blankets your objectives. This should create a policy statement that is then supported by the company objectives and progress toward compliance is verifiable through measuring attainment of those objectives.

As an example: Company X strives to be number one in our market [verifiable through market share analysis], providing product/service that meets the customer's needs [verifiable through your customer sat. measurements] in a timely and cost efficient manner [measure delivery timeframes; and waste, scrap, rework, etc.].

At least this is one way.:) :bigwave:

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
How do you measure exceeding your customer's expectation on delivery? they expect it on time. Is on time or its not. How can you exceed on time?

Sorry, it s been a bad day, didn't mean to sound so negative...LOL

BUT you need to hit the measurables. As an auditor i have seen that exact policy TOO MANY times.

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi Barb!!! Where have you been? I haven't seen you here in a while.

Kinda makes you nauseous after a few of them doesn't it Barb?

No disrespect or unkindness intended towards you KRAPO. You just need to work it some.

K

KRAPO

THANX FOR THE INPUT AND KIND WORDS, YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED. I HAVE HAD MUCH INPUT FROM MANAGEMENT AND HAVE REWRITTEN QUALITY POLICY COUNTLESS (NON MEASURABLE) TIMES. ARE WE GETTING CLOSER??:confused:

" XXXX. INC. IS COMMITTED TO SUPPLYING PRODUCTS
AND SERVICES THAT MEET OR EXCEED CUSTOMER
REQUIREMENTS, IN A TIMELY, COST EFFICIENT MANNER,
BY FOCUSING ON CUSTOMER SATISFACTION AND THE
CONTINUAL IMPROVEMENT OF OUR QUALITY SYSTEM"

;) THANX AGAIN, KRAPO

D

David Hartman

Barb queried, "How do you measure exceeding your customer's expectation on delivery? they expect it on time. Is on time or its not. How can you exceed on time?"

What if the glass were half empty, and not half full? How about measuring to ensure that ALL deliveries are on time? If they are then discontinue that metric, BUT if they're not - then PDCA until it is no longer an issue.

Sorry, but I have worked for too many companies that make the statement that they will delivery on time and struggle to accomplish that on a regular basis.

R

Russ

I'd lose the "exceed". All that will get you is auditor questions of how do you do that and why?

R

Russ

Oh one other thing. Timely is a given with the customer. It is itself one of the customer supplied requirements. They want it by a certain time. No sense beating yourself over the head by saying it twice. IMHO

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
As long as you say "meet or exceed customer requirements" I don't see the problem. If the auditor would ask "how do you do that (the exceed part) and why?" I think most companies could answer that.

How? For example, let's say we make aerosol cans. The customer requires that the cans we ship them have a burst strength of 100 psi minimum, while our cans average 135 psi with a sd of 3.5 psi and we never shipped anything out-of-spec. in the 3 years we've sold to them. So we exceed the requirements. They want them shipped ASAP but no later than 3-25-03, and we shipped them 3-20-03, so we exceeded the requirements. Etc.

Why? Aren't you happier when you get more than the minimum required?

Am I missing something???

Top Bottom