ISO 9001 Regarding Preventative Maintenance

ChrisM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Congratulations on also becoming your company's Head of Maintenance !

Your job in QA is to ensure that a maintenance schedule exists and is followed, not to draw up the schedule and arrange the maintenance.
You may not have sufficient knowledge of the machinery to determine what planned/routine maintenance is required. Others in your company should have this knowledge. Starting point would be the manufacturer's recommendations and this should have been looked at when specifying and purchasing the machinery as it affects the cost of ownership.

How is maintenance undertaken at the moment? Do you have any service arrangements in place or is it "breakdown maintenance only" ?

Scanton

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am the Quality Manger in a small engineering company (27 employees) and although I am responsible all things “Quality” I also perform duties that others would be considered outsider of my jurisdiction, mainly because I am the most able within the small pool of resource we have.

At the time I knew very little about the machines I was creating maintenance records for, however with the input from the people that run and maintain them, and over various generations of documents we now have something that works for the people that use them. I review them during my audits to ensure they are being used and the machines maintained. We have a substantially reduced the rate of unplanned breakdowns than we had when I started this project 12 years ago, and this has played its part in that reduction.

We have a weekly, monthly, quarterly (tick) check sheet for the lubrication, filters, and other regular tasks and a second sheet to record the breakdown/maintenance, so that anyone attending a machine can see that history. I am happy to share those document templates with you for a bit of inspiration, however you are going to need the input of those that know about the equipment your use to be able to create something similar that will be useful to them and your business.

As others have said, don’t worry about the standard, just focus on what you are trying to achieve by implementing this sort of document.

Also with any new task you are asking people to undertake, the simpler you make it, the more chance you have that it will be done, so don’t overcomplicate it.

Good Luck

Morellijoe

Starting to get Involved
Congratulations on also becoming your company's Head of Maintenance !

Your job in QA is to ensure that a maintenance schedule exists and is followed, not to draw up the schedule and arrange the maintenance.
You may not have sufficient knowledge of the machinery to determine what planned/routine maintenance is required. Others in your company should have this knowledge. Starting point would be the manufacturer's recommendations and this should have been looked at when specifying and purchasing the machinery as it affects the cost of ownership.

How is maintenance undertaken at the moment? Do you have any service arrangements in place or is it "breakdown maintenance only" ?
I wasn't planning on going into great detail. However. for the amount I'm being paid compared to my previous roles, this is trivial to make a stink about. There isn't a company I've been at where my responsibilities are just limited to my role, let alone a company with 9 people. At most I was planning on creating a generic sheet that wouldn't be specific to any one machine. A column to check and date oil was checked weekly and every 3 months for filters and hoses. More or less there is no maintenance on the machines currently, I am told he "runs to failure", he replaces them when needed. And honestly he couldn't care less about paperwork. He's been running this way for 12 years without an issue, the only reason were going forward now is to get work from a different division of our biggest customer that will increase revenue without having to grow the shop.

Morellijoe

Starting to get Involved
You lose right out of the chute. If that's all you want, just print your own certificate with some kind of name or buy one on the internet and keep it next to a toilet, and save the money, because what you want is all that thing will be worth.
Thank you for your input. However I was hired to do a job, I couldn't care less as to what happens after I complete my responsibilities. Does your mechanic call you and make sure that you're doing the required maintenance on your vehicle? Or do you call him when you need him, ready to pay whatever to get your car running again? I'm fairly confident once I complete the goal of getting certified, I will be let go. I am perfectly okay with that at my age, its preferable actually. The best I can hope for is a phone call before recertification, at worst, I learned valuable lessons I can take to my next venture.

Randy

Super Moderator
Does your mechanic call you and make sure that you're doing the required maintenance on your vehicle?
Nope, I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic and I've been doing all my auto stuff for over 50 years now.

Nice to see your commitment, dedication, loyalty and high ethical values. Good luck

Morellijoe

Starting to get Involved
I am the Quality Manger in a small engineering company (27 employees) and although I am responsible all things “Quality” I also perform duties that others would be considered outsider of my jurisdiction, mainly because I am the most able within the small pool of resource we have.

At the time I knew very little about the machines I was creating maintenance records for, however with the input from the people that run and maintain them, and over various generations of documents we now have something that works for the people that use them. I review them during my audits to ensure they are being used and the machines maintained. We have a substantially reduced the rate of unplanned breakdowns than we had when I started this project 12 years ago, and this has played its part in that reduction.

We have a weekly, monthly, quarterly (tick) check sheet for the lubrication, filters, and other regular tasks and a second sheet to record the breakdown/maintenance, so that anyone attending a machine can see that history. I am happy to share those document templates with you for a bit of inspiration, however you are going to need the input of those that know about the equipment your use to be able to create something similar that will be useful to them and your business.

As others have said, don’t worry about the standard, just focus on what you are trying to achieve by implementing this sort of document.

Also with any new task you are asking people to undertake, the simpler you make it, the more chance you have that it will be done, so don’t overcomplicate it.

Good Luck
I want to achieve bare bones minimum certification. Nothing more, nothing less. There are no machines that our down currently. We don't track down time or anything like that, is there a need to with so little machines? They have attempted to record maintenance one time years ago and all I could find were individual templates for each machine that were half filled for one cycle at best. After talking with the owner, he doesn't want anything recorded if we don't need. Which in this case we don't need it, it just seems as if its more of a liability then what its worth at the current time. If we get bigger down the line, its a simple word change from maintain to document and creating a template which would be able to used for every machine. Which is not as big as a deal as some are making it to be. However, all that being said, I would love a template if you wouldn't mind! If we get told during our mock audit we should have one, just in case, id like to be ready to go over it with the operators to ensure an understanding of what is needed. I just created a generic based on what I've learned throughout my years.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
More or less there is no maintenance on the machines currently, I am told he "runs to failure", he replaces them when needed. And honestly he couldn't care less about paperwork.
I'm curious about what kind of plant mfg equipment he uses where it is more economical to "run to failure" than to do proper maintenance in an attempt to make it last longer.

Morellijoe

Starting to get Involved
I'm curious about what kind of plant mfg equipment he uses where it is more economical to "run to failure" than to do proper maintenance in an attempt to make it last longer.
Mainly Mazak turning lathes and Doosan milling machines. As far as I am aware from the information given to me is that all the operators do is check coolant/oil levels and replace filters as needed. There is no "schedule". I am not being asked to come up with a schedule or anything like that unless its required, and its only required if I word it as such. Just if we need one that I have something, that's how i'm viewing this. If all the operators were to do is put a check mark and a date that the coolant and oil were checked, i'm not understanding what the actual value in that is. Is conforming parts and employee training not enough "proof" that the machines are being maintained?

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Mainly Mazak turning lathes and Doosan milling machines. As far as I am aware from the information given to me is that all the operators do is check coolant/oil levels and replace filters as needed. There is no "schedule". I am not being asked to come up with a schedule or anything like that unless its required, and its only required if I word it as such. Just if we need one that I have something, that's how i'm viewing this. If all the operators were to do is put a check mark and a date that the coolant and oil were checked, i'm not understanding what the actual value in that is. Is conforming parts and employee training not enough "proof" that the machines are being maintained?
I just asked a question. Sometimes I see things and it triggers a question. I've never heard of anyone running expensive mfg plant machinery to failure vs. doing maintenance is all. It made me wonder if the business owner ever changed the oil in his car, and if so, how he determined the "need" to do so. Or does he run his automobiles to failure, also?

Sounds like some maybe maintenance is being done "as needed" but not on a "schedule". Makes me wonder how the "need" is determined, but if that is gonna cause consternation, you don't have to reply.

Top Bottom