ISO 9001 Regarding Preventative Maintenance

Scanton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Morellijoe, my company run some similar equipment and we use a tick sheet for the regular checks i.e. filters, lube etc and also have a second sheet to record any breakdown maintenance work so anyone attending that machine can see a history of what has been done to that machine.

By using this in conjunction with our audits, over time "doing your checks" became the norm, and breakdowns became much less frequent, because all the basic stuff was getting done.

I have de-badged my templates and attached them below

I hope this helps

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Attachments

• Routine Maintenance Log - Iss 5.xlsx
    23.9 KB · Views: 210
  • Breakdown Maintenance Log - Iss 1.doc
    70 KB · Views: 117

greatwhitebuffalo

Involved In Discussions
This is what we've settled on. Each operator does weekly checks on 4 or 5 machines and signs the sheet that's hanging off the side of one of their machines. Annual checks are recorded separately. The floor guys have a hard time seeing the value, but it only takes 2 minutes a week to sign the sheet, and keeping them visible to all in the shop helps with compliance. Once they are full, I take them and scan them in the system and hang up a fresh one.

Attachments

• PERIODIC.doc
    64.5 KB · Views: 92
  • WEEKLY.docx
    529 KB · Views: 137

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I'm not reading that at all. But the problem with the "change your oil" analogy is some people what a 6 page documented procedure, with records, signed by The Pope. While others are perfectly fine with -- the oil change due light came on, so I stopped and had my oil changed. :)
No one said anything about wanting a 6 page oil change procedure.

Post # 7: "Consider a check sheet on the machine saying when the machine is supposed to undergo maintenance and a place for the maintainer to check/initial. Let training, "owner's manuals", etc. take care of the rest."

I just see a lot of statements that make my alarm bells go off:

"I couldn't care less as to what happens after I complete my responsibilities."
"Just trying to become ISO9001 certified, nothing more."
"More or less there is no maintenance on the machines currently, I am told he "runs to failure", he replaces them when needed. And honestly he couldn't care less about paperwork."
"I'm fairly confident once I complete the goal of getting certified, I will be let go."
"After talking with the owner, he doesn't want anything recorded if we don't need."

Based on all this, would anyone here want to add this company to their AVL?

ChrisM

Quite Involved in Discussions
It's a 9-person company with the owner seemingly actively involved. If you have a basic maintenance plan in place, e.g. change oil every month/3 months etc, then surely the operators/employees will be more attentive and flag things such as an unusual loud noise, compared to those working in a massive machine shop with dozens of employees. No need to go for over-kill but I'd suggest that you do at least need a basic maintenance schedule or checklists in place, and sadly you do need the checkmarks to prove to outside auditors etc that it is being followed.

I face a similar situation where I work in terms of building maintenance. Monthly there is a walk-around to check the perimeter fence, windows, guttering, lack of leaks from water pipes etc etc, but we have no formal written checklist nor records that this walk-around is being performed. I am hoping that a very basic single-page document will get adopted but it is an uphill struggle "because we've never had to make a record before".......

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Yep, along with a relapse of my old friend Malaria
Companies that "just want the cert" are some of the scariest ones I have ever audited and tended to be even worse-run than ones who were not certified to any QMS standard.

Auditing is not my full-time job, and I am sure I don't have the auditing skills of someone like Randy, but I've 2nd party audited places that were certified to ISO9001/AS9100 and found as many as 10 nonconformances, including several majors, in just a few hours on-site.

Golfman25

No one said anything about wanting a 6 page oil change procedure.

Post # 7: "Consider a check sheet on the machine saying when the machine is supposed to undergo maintenance and a place for the maintainer to check/initial. Let training, "owner's manuals", etc. take care of the rest."

I just see a lot of statements that make my alarm bells go off:

"I couldn't care less as to what happens after I complete my responsibilities."
"Just trying to become ISO9001 certified, nothing more."
"More or less there is no maintenance on the machines currently, I am told he "runs to failure", he replaces them when needed. And honestly he couldn't care less about paperwork."
"I'm fairly confident once I complete the goal of getting certified, I will be let go."
"After talking with the owner, he doesn't want anything recorded if we don't need."

Based on all this, would anyone here want to add this company to their AVL?
Apparently yes. Small company. Hands on ownership. Probably does excellent work. If he and his company suck, they wouldn't be around.

Golfman25

It's a 9-person company with the owner seemingly actively involved. If you have a basic maintenance plan in place, e.g. change oil every month/3 months etc, then surely the operators/employees will be more attentive and flag things such as an unusual loud noise, compared to those working in a massive machine shop with dozens of employees. No need to go for over-kill but I'd suggest that you do at least need a basic maintenance schedule or checklists in place, and sadly you do need the checkmarks to prove to outside auditors etc that it is being followed.

I face a similar situation where I work in terms of building maintenance. Monthly there is a walk-around to check the perimeter fence, windows, guttering, lack of leaks from water pipes etc etc, but we have no formal written checklist nor records that this walk-around is being performed. I am hoping that a very basic single-page document will get adopted but it is an uphill struggle "because we've never had to make a record before".......
So I have to ask. If you never had to make a record before, why do you have to make a record now?

Golfman25

Oh that is absolutely not true at all. I have been amazed at how many companies who "suck" that I have seen stay in business.
Then they the clearly don't "suck." They may not meet your requirements, but that doesn't mean they "suck."

Top Bottom