ISO 9001 Registration to get new customers - What other benefits would ISO bring?

Q

QualityGuy2

Hi my company is thinking about getting ISO certification, but we have a good quality program now and are very disciplined when it comes to documentation and for us, I think the ISO tag would only be something to attract new customers, BUT I am really afraid that all of the extra documentation and auditing will lead to more problems than benefits. Does anyone have any input on this. The only link I could find in a quick search was for this site talking about ISO as a selling point which it probably would be for my company, since we have already established our own procedures and documentations. What other benefits would ISO bring???

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

dianel

Hi my company is thinking about getting ISO certification, but we have a good quality program now and are very disciplined when it comes to documentation and for us, I think the ISO tag would only be something to attract new customers, BUT I am really afraid that all of the extra documentation and auditing will lead to more problems than benefits. Does anyone have any input on this. The only link I could find in a quick search was for this site talking about ISO as a selling point which it probably would be for my company, since we have already established our own procedures and documentations. What other benefits would ISO bring???
i doubt you would have extra documentation, and you can always call the audits out a min of once a year. What I like is we have a nice training tool and accountability. Also, when something is not working it is easier to determine..."was the process being followed and is just not effective?" "Was the process not being followed" OR "Hey..we need a process".

C

Chris Ford

Re: New Folks - Please Take a Minute and Introduce Yourself/Say Hello!

I think it depends on your company's mission, as well as the needs of your customers. It depends on what your company is manufacturing / selling.

Why will certification attract more customers, in your opinion?

Do you serve an industry that looks for certification? Does the company intend to distribute product internationally?

If you currently have a good quality system in place, why would there be any extra documentation?

Have you conducted a gap analysis? What parts of your quality system need to change? What's missing?

In my opinion, the quality system should not impose burden on your business model. If it's completely non-existent, there would obviously be new requirements which could easily be translated into "burden" - at least until it's shown through your monitoring system that the quality system is effective.

But, then you need to determine what will make your system effective? You could write volumes of procedures, and people could follow them. You could generate a ton of records to prove it. But that doesn't make the system effective. It just means you know how to fill out some forms.

Beginning with your top-level objectives, you can make your quality system work for you. Make it an everyday part of business and an everyday tool to systematically reach your business objectives with an ROI.

With an effective implementation of a quality system, I've seen processes streamlined, overhead cost reduced, work efficiency improved, COGS reduced, improved customer satisfaction, reduction in complaints, improved product reliability... and the list goes on.

I work in an industry where a quality system is mandatory. I've been to many manufacturers whose quality systems were so overburdened, the cost of quality was astronomical. Many organizations jump on a "procedure writing" freight train, and don't stop until they've strangled themselves by their own processes. I went to work for a company once that manufactured two products. They had about 30 manufacturing procedures in place, but nearly 1000 other procedures around the company. Many were duplicated or contradicted one another. I try to approach a quality system from a very practical perspective. The system will never be fully effective unless it speaks to the very heart of a business. It'll always be a thorn in the company's side (an "us against them" mentality) unless it can demonstrate some kind of ROI.

So, bottom line is if changing your current quality system will create additional recurring cost to the company with no ROI, it's not implemented correctly.

I hope that gives you a little insight and good luck with it!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Admin
No big deal - Just focusing on the topic. It will get lost in that very long Introductions thread.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
What other benefits would ISO bring???
From the business perspective, it is just another 'tool'. What you want the tool to achieve is entirely up to you. If all you want is to get some extra business (for marketing purpose), then it will be just that and remain a piece of paper framed up in a corner of the office.

If you want it to be a competitive advantage and work towards it, it will provide a system to drive consistency, efficiency (systematic) and customer focus and yield results on a longer run. If you desire more, it's possible also but may take a bit of time, effort and change.

P

Polly Pure Bread

At least you know where you are. From there, find out what is needed. Assess and plan. Why not welcome additional documentation if pivotal in value adding to your business? If adding documentation is not a viable option, then don’t go for it. Just focus on your needs and focus on your customers’ needs to meet specific goals. Make customer satisfaction the way of your life. Commit to deliver quality products and services then benefits of ISO will follow.

Good luck.

M

mahasatta2002

The one who has decided to go for the certification might be clearer,

why is he going for it?

If the customers are demanding for the same then there is no option.

However, if the organization is doing on it's own just for marketing

Purpose than the objective is limited.

When ever such a question comes, though it would be detrimental to

the Business interest, I say, "There is no need for Certification.

Go ahead if one can prove competence without it''.

Note: Certification is a proof of competence given by an independent

Third Party that, instills faith in others as to what, one is claiming is

right and worth depending on.

ISO 9001:2008 is a very good, useful and beneficial system if

implemented properly and truthfully.

Infact,right from Birth to Death the whole world is after certification

without which what we claim, is not accepted and is the first step

before any body wants to entertain us.

It is only because of ISO implementation companies do follow.

1) PDCA cycle
2) Set objectives regularly as a system.
3) Undertake training on regular and systematic basis.
4) Top Management demonstrates its commitment.
5) Conducts Internal audits and Management Review Meetings.
6) Undertake Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA).

Finally by following this system, the Top Management gets to learn

about Customer satisfaction and complaints thereby, take actions

beneficial to the Organization and not be taken by surprise.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
S ISO 9001:2015 - Scope of Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
QMMike New Trend of not seeking Official ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
Crusader The calm before the storm... ISO 9001:2015 Registration Audit Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 21
C Registration to the 2015 Version of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Gman2 Internal Auditing Requirements before ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Recent ISO 9001 Re-registration Audit Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
L Who can perform ISO 9001:2008 Internal Audit prior to our Registration Audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A ISO 9001 Registration Audit Success! Covegratulations 2
O Transitioning Locations into a Multi Site ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
K What do I need to do to "upgrade" from ISO 9001 to AS9100 Registration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
B What happens to your ISO 9001 registration if you are acquired by a Company Without ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
E Extending current ISO 9001 registration scope to cover SW development Software Quality Assurance 2
A Scope on ISO 9001 Registration Certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
K ISO 9001 vs. ISO 13485 Registration - Approximately 1/3 of our customers are medical ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M ISO 9001 Registration Process - Timeline for obtaining ISO 9001 certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M ISO 9001 Construction Registration without Current Projects ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S ISO 9001 Registration for Factory Site Only ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Y ISO 9001 Registration - Different Manufacturing and Sales Locations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R How much "harder" is an ISO 13485 Registration Audit compared to ISO 9001 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B Internal Audit Requirements for ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Defining the scope for ISO 9001 Registration - Software, Hardware and Customer Care ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D ISO 9001 Registration: Research Parent Company or wholly owned subsidiary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R What I have to do to implement ISO 9001:2008 till Registration and Certification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Internal Audit of our ISO 9001 Quality Systems prior to the Registration Audit Internal Auditing 9
L ISO 9001 Registration of 1 Plant in a Company - Exclusions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
F Adding a New Office Location to an ISO 9001 Certificate (Scope of Registration) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
V Class III Device CE Mark with ISO 9001 Registration? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Data Trends Evidence for ISO 9001:2008 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Jim Wynne Is this ISO 9001 Registration Scope Statement Too Vague? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
R New 13485 Registration questions - Currently registered to ISO 9001 and TL 9000 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E Notification To Vendors (Suppliers) of our ISO 9001 Registration Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
V Small Startup Manufacturer ISO 9001 Implementation and Registration Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
H Scope Definition - Scope of ISO 9001 Registration Imported Legacy Blogs 1
S Scope Definition - Scope of ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
Z Interviewing an External Auditor? Choose a Registrar for ISO 9001 Registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 30
C GM (General Motors) ISO 9001:2008 Certification/Registration Needed? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 7
F How much longer can a company declare registration to ISO 9001:2000? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
J Cancelling an ISO 9001 Registration as a Cost Saving Measure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
G ISO 9001:2008 Registration in Universities - Success, Endorsements and Trends? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
L Interviewing a Registrar for ISO 9001 Registration - Registrar's Quality Manual Registrars and Notified Bodies 68
A Registration to ISO 9001:2000 in 2009? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Is ISO 9001 registration a prerequisite for TS 16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
G Determining the Scope of ISO 9001:2000 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
G What is the total cost of ISO 9001:2000 Registration in terms of $$$? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
Q Latest count of ISO 9001 Registration Certificates world wide ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
B Registration Mark Controls - 'ISO 9001:2000 Certified and CB/AB Logo' ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q 1 QMS and ISO 9001 registration certificate covering 2 plants ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
W ISO 9001 certification (registration) requirements - No commercial product or service ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 42
P Does ISO/TS16949 registration include ISO 9001 registration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11