Definition ISO 9001 - Simple definition

J

JNB2005

Hi all,

There was a discussion on simple definition of ISO 9001, something like "write what you've done / do what you've written and some others listed...". I can't recall in what thread the discussion was. Could you please help me in finding that thread ?

Thanks in advance.
Best.
JNB

D

db

JNB2005 said:
Hi all,

There was a discussion on simple definition of ISO 9001, something like "write what you've done / do what you've written and some others listed...". I can't recall in what thread the discussion was. Could you please help me in finding that thread ?

Thanks in advance.
Best.
JNB

I think what you are referring to was the old:

"Say what you do,
Do what you say,
Prove that you did it."

It was used quite a bit with the older version, and has some relevance with 9K2K. The problem is, that 9K2K goes much further than that, so it does not cover the intent of the standard like it once did.

C

C Emmons

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I read something the other day that defined it this way:

Customer orders are processed
A design process is managed
Suppliers are qualified
Mistakes are handled
acceptance criteria are established
Competent people are trained
Tools, inventory and equipment are maintained
Progress is checked

J

JNB2005

Thank you very much for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
JNB

AndyN

Moved On
Ah..that old one............

the 'say what you do' thing. Has nothing to do with 'ISO', not even the old one.
The phrase was 'invented' by someone (from Dupont, I think) in the early days of ISO registration here in the USA. There was little experience or guidance on implementation of 'ISO 9000' and if you had a document to describe what you were doing, during the audit, then the 3rd party auditor would grant you a certificate. That's not really what 'ISO' is about;)

I've heard 'documented common sense' used, but in my experience no 'phrase that pays' works. Most businesses don't do many of the requirements of an effective (quality) management system, so it can't be common sense.:lol:

It normally takes a bit of explaining and the best description I've heard, was a story about setting up a small business (like a resturant) and how you would control it's growth as it became popular.

Andy

R

ralphsulser

AndyN said:
the 'say what you do' thing. Has nothing to do with 'ISO', not even the old one.
The phrase was 'invented' by someone (from Dupont, I think) in the early days of ISO registration here in the USA. There was little experience or guidance on implementation of 'ISO 9000' and if you had a document to describe what you were doing, during the audit, then the 3rd party auditor would grant you a certificate. That's not really what 'ISO' is about;)

Andy
"Say what you do,
Do what you say,
Prove that you did it."

This pre dates any ISO standards f or Quality Systems, we used this in the mid 60's when preparing our systems and for visits from Ford or GM to do audits at our plant.
We had a Quality Manual, Procedures and Instructions at that time.Plus we used SPC to study process improvements. We had "Merchant" mechanical calculators to find square roots and sigmas. Took a while but worked. Also used slide rules.

AndyN

Moved On
Wow, Ralph.....

thanks for the historical (hysterical :lol: ) perspective.
Happily, most folks I meet and discuss this with don't remember much about the 60's - unless it was on VH1.............:lol:

Andy

Top Bottom