ISO 9001 vs Marketing/Branding

I am not sure if it is still the case but some years ago I worked for a CB and they had rules regarding the logo.
I think most of them still do (Because they care about their brand), but this is a minor problem these days: Few of us around these parts use the registrars logo for anything. Our customers expect us to be registered, and when they ask they get a copy of the certificate.

/Claes

P

prototyper

They do - and their rules are usually pretty sensible, intended to:
  • make sure people use the logo just as it is and don't 'muck around with it' (otherwise people like to vary the shape, size, colours, lettering etc to suit their taste)
  • make sure they retain control over their own corporate brand
  • make sure the logo isn't used in any way that it should not be used (eg, using a management system certification logo to claim a product is 'quality assured' or what have you).

Whilst I agree with your comments regarding the use of CB's logos, the OP's question was worded to the use of their own company logo.
I can understand to some extent the requirement for some uniformity regarding branding, but as far as I am aware there are no legal restrictions as to how you use your own logo on documents. I can see no reason why, for example, the logo couldn't be scaled down to fit the format of forms.

D

DavidP

Thank you all for your advice! I will stand my ground unless this person can produce in writing something that says that this is a requirement. What she has given me for a template will not work for all of our documentation. I will give the option of give me a logo to use that can be munipulated (made larger or smaller) or no documents will have a logo.

AndyN

Moved On
David:

I fully understand that 'corporate image' is the domain of the Marketing function - for good reasons, however, the fact that this person is dabbling in issues affecting (QMS) documents which are clearly not within that domain, I wonder what they should really be doing.......:notme::rolleyes:;)

A

Alexisss

Strangely enough, I was facing EXACTLY the same problem!

Having had been used to living alone, whenever I entered the house I used to throw my keys on a short table next to the main entrance, my wallet on the coffee table of the living room, and the documents I was carrying home on the kitchen table.

My wife was getting insane, as she wanted the house to look fine (as if it was going to be photographed for a lifestyle magazine!), and was gathering everything to wherever she liked, such as packed in small boxes placed on a shelf! :whip:

I had my own way and she had her own way. We agreed on me throwing everything on the short table next to the main entrance. Actually the agreement was to "position", not "throw".

Bottom line is: find a mutually agreed solution, such as "make all documents that go outside the company have the same setup". He will be happy and you will be happy :agree:, and he will not be interfering between your feet.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Whilst I agree with your comments regarding the use of CB's logos, the OP's question was worded to the use of their own company logo.
I can understand to some extent the requirement for some uniformity regarding branding, but as far as I am aware there are no legal restrictions as to how you use your own logo on documents. I can see no reason why, for example, the logo couldn't be scaled down to fit the format of forms.

I don't think it's a legal issue with regard to how a logo is used, per se. I think that the marketing manager is concerned about protecting a trademark, and if that's the case there could conceivably be a point wrt the size of a printed logo, and whether or not the logo's unique elements (a requirement for trademark registration) are readily discernible when printed. Page placement should not be an issue in this regard. This is a very minor issue, however, and it sounds like this might be a new manager trying to stake out her turf.

M

Murali Krishna GV

"Rebranding" is in a sense a very difficult process in itself for everyone in the organisation. Its been two months since my organisation went through rebranding exercise. And we are still in the process of identifying and eliminating the presense of old logo. It seems to be everywhere, starting with business cards, bill boards, note pads, some other stationary,documents, marketing colaterals and on QMS documents as well ! I suggest you must
buy more time, in case 100% adherance to the "rule" is what the target is.

We ran a program (i will check up the details on that one and get back) to replace the old logo with the new one.

Since it was a program that did the trick for us, it was not a difficult decision to agree with the Branding folks. But before the branding exercise began, they had a documented and approved " Procedure for Re-Branding" defined in QMS :lmao:

J

JaneB

I fully understand that 'corporate image' is the domain of the Marketing function - for good reasons, however, the fact that this person is dabbling in issues affecting (QMS) documents which are clearly not within that domain,

I think you're making an assumption and not necessarily a reasonable one. David refers to 'quality' documents being sent outside the company to external parties, clients, etc... why would they not come within 'corporate image'?

My bottom line would be: look for a sensible compromise. A stand up head-on fight usually results in both parties reaffirming their own firmly held opposing positions. Sigh.

:topic:
I can't believe I'm writing in support of marketing / image people... who can sometimes be a bit off track. But then again, not always!!

Top Bottom