Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

ISO / AS Certification - Small business with less than 100 employees

Nicole Desouza

Starting to get Involved
Hello,
I work for a small business with less than 100 employees that is trying to become registered to an ISO/ AS 9100 standard. We are currently not registered to any. We have branched out to aerospace customers and their expectation is that we have a quality system that is registered to a recognized standard like ISO9000. My question is could we become registered to the AS 9100 standard and bypass the ISO 9000 registration or do we have to do both? Kind of confusing.

thanks,

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello,
I work for a small business with less than 100 employees that is trying to become registered to an ISO/ AS 9100 standard. We are currently not registered to any. We have branched out to aerospace customers and their expectation is that we have a quality system that is registered to a recognized standard like ISO9000. My question is could we become registered to the AS 9100 standard and bypass the ISO 9000 registration or do we have to do both? Kind of confusing.

thanks,
The ISO 9001 requirements are a subset of AS 9100, so registration to AS9100 includes iSO 9001. The certificate will be for both standards.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nicole,

Study how your organization works as a system to satisfy customer requirements and you will see where it largely conforms to both system standards.

Best to understand your system first.

At the Cove we look forward to helping you on your journey.

Good luck,

John

If AS is what is important to you and your customer, then focus on that. How much non AS business do you do and will ISO certification be beneficial to that? Depending on your registrar, you may get both ISO and AS certs or just the AS. Some may charge a bit extra for both, so it comes down to a financial decision.

As other have stated, if you are AS9100(d) registered, that includes ISO9001:2015. I will add how this is.

The requirements to AS9100 used the ISO9001:2015 standard and then adds 'bolded' requirements that are in addition to ISO9001. For example (partial quote from AS9100 standard):

4.4.2 To the extent necessary, the organization shall:
a. maintain documented information to support the operation of its processes;
b. retain documented information to have confidence that the processes are being carried out as planned.

The organization shall establish and maintain documented information that includes:
-A general description of relevant interested parties (see 4.2 a);

-the scope of the quality management........

The normal un-bolded text is ISO9001, the bolded text is added by the AS9100. The un-bolded text is required by ISO9001, both un-bolded and bolded text are required by AS9100.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello,

thanks,

First thing to do is find out how many customers want you to be certified to AS9100 (ISO is part of it) the reason you want to do that from a business perspective is COST. Get a quote from a registrar and then find out if the customer base support your business plan

Top Bottom