ISO Auditor Training - What online training is actually value added?

T

thekellyg

Hello all!
I have hands on auditing experience but no actual certification. I'm considering online training to get the piece of paper as some business' consider that as or more important than experience. Are there any recommendations as to what online training is actually value added? Seems to be quite a range in pricing etc so I'm coming to the Cove for some guidance. :read:

Thanks in advance!

kgg

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: ISO auditor training

There is no requirement for training, the requirement is that an auditor be competent which could be verified "by other means" than training. Training does not make one competent and a piece of paper is just that, a piece of paper with gobbelty goop written on it.

If you can demonstrate your ability to perform an audit that meets the requirements of whatever audit procedure is in place and provides whatever the defined results are to be, then go for it and blow off the training....

I

Inquiringmind

I needed the same thing a couple of years ago. Took the CALISO Lead Auditor Training course. Cert reads "Has satisfactorily fullfilled the 22-hours (2.2 CEUs) online training course: ISO 13485:2003 Lead Auditor Training. Took care of several client requirements until I was able to complete the ASQ Certified Biomedical Auditor certification.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

There is no requirement for training, the requirement is that an auditor be competent which could be verified "by other means" than training. Training does not make one competent and a piece of paper is just that, a piece of paper with gobbelty goop written on it.

If you can demonstrate your ability to perform an audit that meets the requirements of whatever audit procedure is in place and provides whatever the defined results are to be, then go for it and blow off the training....
Were you a trainer at one time?? ;)

I

Inquiringmind

I agree with Randy that the paper doesn't prove anything but you sat through the course and passed the quizzes. However, some clients need/want the paper to show some level of diligence. Less than $300 and a day and it took care of it.

T

thekellyg

I agree wholeheartedly that the paper in and of itself means nothing except you endured the training! I only have an Associates Degree and have battled my whole career with HR requirements for jobs. I have been promoted into positions for which I didn't even come close to the written requirements for education because I take care of business and have a great deal of experience and at least some common sense. I have had more than one direct report that posssessed PHD's. I'm closer to 60 years old than 50 now and plan to spend the rest of my working career in Quality so want to have every advantage.

I have just started a new job and am tasked with taking a privately owned plastic extrusion company started in 1958 that currently has NO written procedures, processes or anything else to ISO certification. An audit today would reveal 0 adherence to ISO standards. Not really pertinent to my certification desires but I will be training our in-house auditors and feel the piece of paper will add at least perceived validity to my position.

Thanks for the feedback!

Randy

Super Moderator
There are of course multiple variables based upon need that can range from no formal training to accredited courses and advanced education on top of hoops jumped through and perfect teeth....

I took it for granted you were referencing auditing as an internal auditor for a simple 9001 based QMS and that's the answer I gave, anything beyond that will be based upon the specific need and desire of the organization being served, so there is no single one correct answer to your original question.

Believe it or not, on a recent consulting visit I read a CB auditor's nonconformance where the auditee was written up for the internal auditor not having completed a formal training program and having a certificate.

Of course, it was a bogus nonconformance.

L

lokeky1

Whether you need certification or not really depends on the type of work you do. If you are already hired by an organization without the certificate, I guess it does not matter. If you want to be a full time auditor, then certification and audit log is a must to demonstrate competency.

However I would suggest to anyone to attend some training from time to time to update their knowledge and the latest thinking about the subject. Picking up a competency certificate (not certificate of attendance) is a bonus.

Cheers

Loke

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Transition training for Internal Auditor from ISO 9001: 2008 to the ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 42
J Getting training either from ASQ or from SAI Global - ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
C Recommendations for UK-based ISO 13485 internal auditor training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Training documentation - ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had questions General Auditing Discussions 7
Q Internal Auditor Training requirements for ISO 14001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
A Our auditor requires us to attend a training on EN ISO 14971:2012 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
C ISO 13485:2016 - Internal Auditor Training vs. Lead Auditor Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
S Recommendations on a good ISO 9001 "transition" auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
S Where can I take ISO 13485 lead auditor training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
M ISO 13485 Audit Questions - Internal Auditor Training and other Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Can I accomplish ISO 13485 Lead Auditor Training online? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
T ISO 9001 Internal Auditing Auditor Training in Amsterdam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Q Who can provide a ISO 9001 Lead Auditor QMS training course? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
R ISO 14001 Internal Auditor Training Requirements ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
Q Online ISO 9001 Lead Auditor Training Course Provider recommendation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
L ISO 13485 Lead Auditor Re-Training Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q ISO/TS 16949 Lead Auditor Training wanted at San Antonio Texas? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
V ISO/TS 16949 Lead Auditor Training Providers in India IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M ISO 50001 Energy Management Lead Auditor Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A Which training companies are best for ISO/TS16949:2009 Auditor Training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
A Training Requirements for ISO 17025 Internal Auditor ISO 17025 related Discussions 19
J ISO 9001 Internal Auditor Training in English in Tokyo Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
J ISO 9001 Internal Auditor Training in New York area Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
D TS16949 and ISO 9001 Lead Auditor (Assessor) Training Recommendations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
A ISO 14001 Lead Auditor Course - Training material not provided! Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 18
B Specific requirement for Internal Auditor training in ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
K ISO Lead Auditor or Internal Auditor Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
G Does BSI do ISO 9001/TS 16949 Lead Auditor training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
D Recommendations for ISO 9001 Internal Auditor Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
G ISO/TS 16949:2002 Lead Auditor Training General Auditing Discussions 10
A ISO 9001: 2000 Internal Auditor Training - Michigan Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
J Auditor training - Is there a big difference between auditing ISO 13485 & ISO 9001? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A ISO 9001 Auditor/Lead Auditor Training Course Expectations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 21
K Is formal Internal Auditor training required for ISO 17025:2004 - Clause 4.14.1 ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
C ISO 9001:2000 Internal Auditor Training Material Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
S ISO/TS16949: 2002 Lead Auditor Training organised By SMMTIF. Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
Al Rosen AS9100 ISO 9001:2000 Internal Auditor Training - Long Island NY Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Q ISO 9001: 2000 Lead Auditor Training? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K ISO 9001 Internal Auditor Training Materials Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Crusader ISO 9001:2000 Internal Auditor Training document Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
N ISO 14001 Internal Auditor - Required / Necessary Experience and Training Internal Auditing 17
xfngrs ISO/TS 16949 Self-Refresher Course - Auditor Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
T Internal Auditor Training Presentation - ISO/TS 16949 - Seeking Information Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
K ISO/TS16949 Lead Auditor training - Recommendations? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 27
Q Seeking Recommendations: Public ISO 14001 Lead Auditor training course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
L ISO 14001 Lead Internal Auditor - Is there a certified training requirement? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
T What Are ISO 9001:2000 Internal Auditor Training Requirements? Internal Auditing 18
A ISO/TS 16949 Lead Auditor Training - Suppliers of IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
H Interactive computer-based program - Internal Auditor Training - ISO 9001:2000 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3