ISO Certification - Consultant organization - California Manufacturing Technology

S

Suz

Hello-
I came across this forum while searching for information on RAB (what I found here wasn't at all complimentary!). I work for a small company involved in alternative fuel technology, and until now, it has always been an R&D environment. As we move toward full production status and an IPO, the importance of having a QMS in place has hit the execs right between the eyes. I have a somewhat limited background in QA, but as a technical writer, the documentation will be a breeze for me, except for a couple of things:
1) With ISO9000:2000 still not released, is it possible to initiate a Quality System to the 2000 version?
2) Does anyone have any experience with/opinions of a consultant organization called California Manufacturing Technology Center (CMTC)? Would you recommend a consultant firm come in and do the entire QMS for a small company like mine?
Thanks!

J

Jim Biz

Suz - I've seen much discussion on wheather to implement the new standards now or not - the general opinion is Yes do it now... don't wait. especially if you are just starting out.

You are in a fairly good position to at least take the few upcomming changes into account.. and from a STRICT intrepretation viewpoint the new version will allow you to taylor your system to exclude or at least water down some current "shall do" items.

I believe the new 2000 update after 4-25-00 is in its FDIS phase (final draft Int. standards)& I've been deluged with training information from across the country..

Don't have any expierience with the consultant firm you mentioned - but if you need expert advise I'd quickly point you to the link at the top of the page that says "do you need consulting or training services fill in the form - I'm sure that Marc wouldn't point you in the wrong direction..

Regards
Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Biz (edited 15 June 2000).]

T

Thom Trimborn

Suz,
For what it is worth, our registar just sent us a letter that they are willing to audit to the 2000 standard early this fall. They are strongly encouraging us to be audited to the new standard. Since you seem to be starting with a clean slate, I see no reason to write a QMS to the 1994 revision.

As far as consultants go, it has been my experiance that most registrars also provide consulting services. You need to have a partnership with your registrar. While ours has dinged us from time to time, their driving approach has been to make constructive observations. I'm sure many independant consulting firms are perfectly capable to get your system documented. Why not try 'one stop shopping"? It will probably save you money in the long run. Especially since, as you said, you are a small business. No matter what, make sure your system works for you. Using an off the shelf system will cause you nothing but problems. Good Luck.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Originally posted by Thom Trimborn:
....it has been my experiance that most registrars also provide consulting services. You need to have a partnership with your registrar.
I should hope you all know that a registrar providing consulting services and registration services to a client is a 'frowned upon' relationship. Perry Johnson does this through a 'business segregation' technicality - and they have been investigated for it as well. But then, that's Perry Johnson - not the best reputation around.

J

Jim Biz

Originally posted by Marc Smith:
hope you all know that a registrar providing consulting services and registration services to a client is a 'frowned upon' relationship.

Marc I agree --- never figured out how it could be done "successfully" kinda like the fox watching the hen-house.. IMHO This type of "relationship" would breakdown the objectivity and could really lead to registrars having "too much" influence in telling folks how to run their businesses...

NOTE: Edited for quote formatting.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 24 June 2000).]

I

isodog

It is not just frowned upon, it is blatently unethical. RAB has a (unenforced) rule against such arraingements. As noted, perry Johnson is the only registrat with cahones enough to thumb there noses at the RAB (the only thing I admire them for), but KPMG does the same thing under a thinly disguised second company.

More common, and also unethical, is the trainer that has a favorite registrar which they always reccomend. There is ALWAYS a quid pro quo arraingement as the registar knows this trainer is "selling their services.

It's a jungle out there!

Dave

C

Christian Lupo

never figured out how it could be done "successfully" kinda like the fox watching the hen-house..

Registrars are allowed to give "interpretation assistance" to a client. many people are of the opinion that this is a euphemism for consulting for example:

• I have seen other companies I have audited use an Excel spreadsheet for a master list of documents....

This is allowed by RAB

• What you need to do is use a Excel spreadsheet for your master list of documents...

Not allowed, and considered consulting. What's the difference? Just words

S

Suzanne (aka Suz)

Thank you for all the excellent input and advice. I think this forum will prove very helpful to me in setting up our Quality System.
I'm having problems, however with my password. The one emailed to me is not working....

Marc

Leader
Originally posted by Christian Lupo:
Registrars are allowed to give "interpretation assistance" to a client. What's the difference? Just words
You're right. This only furthers my stance that much of all of this is now a word game, unfortunately.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 24 June 2000).]

Marc

Leader
Originally posted by Suzanne (aka Suz):
I'm having problems, however with my password. The one emailed to me is not working...
I take it this was solved by using a capital P (passwords are case sensitive). Let me know if you have any further problem(s).

Top Bottom