ISO documentation for portals

J

James Gutherson

My feeling is that a Portal website is like a production business.
They take a resource, in this case the mass of information on a subject of intrest contained on the internet, add value to it by assembling this information into a form that is attractive to the potential audience, then they sell this onto clients in the form of advertising space. Actually is is very similar to any other commercial Media, Print, Television or Radio, they need to collect material, then package a complelling product that will attract enough viewers to enable them to sell advertising space.

The main issue I see for Portal's is controlling the quality of the external sites they have linked to. News, TV and radio have the product in their hand, and it is a constant product. Portal however have only a link and the content at the other end might be very different from day to day, and like all production industries, it is the quality of this content that directly affects the quality and attractiveness of the Portal.

Other than this, is would suspect that most areas of ISO9001:2000 would apply.
Management Responsibility certainly applies, as does Resource Management. Measurment, Analysis and Improvement are critical to justifying a price for the advertising space, it is just in Product Realisation (as the standard was designed) that there would be areas that could be dropped. I would think that Calibration, I mean Control of Meaasuring Devices would require a bit of interpretation to apply. The other area I mentioned before is purchasing. I'm not sure whther you need to 'buy' the rights to link to certain sites. If so you would expect that you would be able to negotiate with the controller of the site to assure yourself of the quality, in any case you would certainly need 'inspection' of the 'product' and control of non-conforming 'product' (cutting the link if it comes to that). It is the constantly varying nature of the internat that cuases the problem. Thinking about it even more, this is probably the area that needs the most concentration, and a very rigorous inspection schedule. I can't think of a sampling plan for websites.
The design and development area would also be a big focus, but I would think very similar to traditional software development.

And of course all the normal contineous improvement areas apply, internal audits, CA and PA, measurment and monitioring.

Just my first thoughts though. I've found this quite thought provoking and would love to contribute more but I'm of to get married and have a much needed honeymoon, so I will be away for 3 weeks. I hope this thread goes on a bit and I'll check it when I get back.

G

Graeme

I have seen three main quality management schemes in the software industry -
TICKIT - which I believe is most active in Europe ( http://www.tickit.org/ )
Capability Maturity Model (CMM) - which is popular in the United States ( http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmm/cmm.html )
ISO 9000 - which can apply to this as well as any other industry. ISO 9000-3:1997 is a guide to applying 9001:1994 to software development. ( http://www.iso.ch/ )

From my limited time in the software industry, I know that one key success factor is implementing and enforcing a good configuration management system. Is is possible to succeed without one, but the probability is not high.

Another success factor is the ability to keep all of the team members focused on the organizational goal. You have to define your business, and the role of each function in it, and then resist the tendency to drift off into exploring "interesting" but irrelevant areas. For example, one company may be an established business that is adding a web site as an additional distribution channel. Another may be a business that wants to be totally internet-based. A third may be a company that wants to create new tools to enable building e-commerce sites for other businesses. Each of these is a different business model and requires a different focus from the developers, subject-matter experts, and marketers.

The quality objective should be the same in any model, though. After all, software development is a different kind of business than most of us are used to, but it is still a business and needs to follow good business practices to survive. You need to produce a system that meets the customer requirements and your business objectives, on time and within budget.

S

sikdar

Gutherson's ideas are quite interesting...hope to ctach you after your honeymoon

a financial portal (what i am into) could have the following procedures

1. requirement analysis
for any new service added to the website. the inputs for these could be customer feedbacks collected on the site. competition mapping, weekly review meetings of the product team, management decision e.g. if a financial portal does not have information on insurance planning, probably depending on the needs of the investment community the management could instruct the product team to start a new section on insurance
The req. analysis ends with preparation of Req. Specification Document (RSD)and can be passed on to the development team.

2. Project management

This is a standard procedure followed accross software companies. With minor changes this can followed.

3. Sales

One area to be covered is media sales on the portal, ad space sold either through cash sale or barter

If the portal is also into transaction it could account for the entire sales process till service is delivered is commenced.

4. Customer service

service maintenance, monitoring, web site uptime, MIS reports etc. Online customer feedback and complaint forms and redressal mecha nism

Other procedures are global procedures like training, resources etc.

Anyone??? Does anyone actually know of web portals that would have procedures in place?

customer service

Top Bottom