ISO/IEC 17025 Revised: ISO/IEC 17025:2005

B

betterlife

Hershal said:
The AB for India is NABL. Good AB, and signatory to APLAC (Asia Pacific Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation).
https://www.aplac.org
Hershal

Is there any other AB operating in India? More than one body in any field bring competition and improvement in quality of service.

V

Valeri

Manoj Mathur said:
Ours is due on last week of this month (29th July 2005).

Valeri, Can you please give some tips and share your experience of Audit. We were audited last month for this accrediation as a prelim. assessment. We made corrected and as per standard's requirement whatever was suggested by auditors.
Manoj - I am going to be depending on this website for help - we are in the preliminary stages of obtaining certification. We won't be training until October. My expertise lies with automotive standards not labs - this is a brand new game for me. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistanct.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
betterlife said:
Is there any other AB operating in India? More than one body in any field bring competition and improvement in quality of service.

I don't believe so.....most economies have only one AB, which is often owned by the government.

Hershal

Manoj Mathur

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello Hershal,

Is there any reason to have only one AB in the field of Lab Certification? While in the field of Quality, Environment, Safety, Social Accountability even for CE marking there are many certification bodies as well as Accrediation bodies.

Second doubt is regarding Why AB related to Lab Accrediation System are Govt. owned?

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Hard questions to answer.....I like that.

You are correct, for registration and certification, there are often several choices. Some economies do in fact have multiple accreditation bodies for lab accreditation also. The North American market is the most populated there, with five recognized bodies (IAS, A2LA, NVLAP, L-A-B, SCC/CLAS). Another economy with more than one AB is People's Republic of China (PRC) who technically has two ABs (CNAL, HKAS).

In the cases where the only AB is government owned, then typically the AB is affiliated with the National Measurement Institute (NMI) for the country. In the U.S. for example, NVLAP is affiliated with NIST.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hershal

B

betterlife

Dear Manoj and Hershal,

I believe that an healthy competition brings improvement in the quality of service povided, and same goes for ABs or CBs. Absence of any competition creates a monopoloic tendency in AB, which incidentally is more difficult to operate than a CB. Moreover, if the AB is directly or indirectly related to the government its working becomes too bureaucratic and the body generally adopts a policing attitude and not the service attitude. It has been my experience in India, which has only one AB (NABL) giving accreditation to testing and calibration laboratories as per ISO 17025. This body even claims to have an authorization from the government that only it can give accreditation as per ISO 17025, which in my opinion is an absurd claim. No body can have exclusive rights on an international standard, such as, ISO 17025.

This body has also roped in various government organizations to put conditions on their suppliers to have test/calibration certificates from only NABL accredited laboratories. There is a case where a laboratory claims to have been accredited by UKAS but these organizations are forcing this lab to go for NABL accreditation if it wants its test/calibration certificaes to be accepted by them. India's NSB (BIS) is also forcing its clients (operating its product certification schems) to get their products tested and instruments calibrated from NABL accredited labs only.

India, very badly, needs another AB in this field. There is one AB which is trying to come up but is facing lot of problems in satisfying its potential client labratories to go for an AB other than NABL.

Top Bottom