ISO/TS 16949 - What is the meaning behind this number?

Y

YKT

This may sound silly, but what is the meaning behind this number ? - ISO/TS 16949 ????

I know the meaning of ISO and TS, but why 16949 ?

:rolleyes:

T

tomvehoski

I don't think there is any meaning to it. Just the next number to be used in the 1000s of ISO based standards.

Tom

P

Paul Marsh

If my tutor on a QS9000/TS16949 transistion course is to be believed, then the '16' refers to the number of amendments( however big or small) there were between 9000 and TS and the '949' equates to the number of companies initially involved/ affected by the new standard globally.

Don't know if this is the real reason, and can't qualify it, as my company is still struggling with the 9k2k transition, but if he's giving courses out on the stuff, then it could be true !

Paul.

T

tomvehoski

I can't dispute Paul's explanation, but I did have a college professor tell us one time that ISO 9000 was called that because it "had about 9000 requirements". It was a wonderful semester of bad information from then on.

Tom

P

Paul Marsh

I told that professor a million times not to exagerate !!

I suppose it's possible they could be related !!!!

Manoj Mathur

Quite Involved in Discussions
I don't know about 16949 but about 9000, it is like that Britishers had already developed QMS Standard as on 8900th standard. Hence when TC 176 which has taken a lot from this standard, they have decided to give 9000 series for QMS Series.

Manoj

S

smelsreg

As suggested earlier, 16949 was simply the next sequential number in the 1000's of ISO/TS standards. No need to read into it any further than that!

Top Bottom