Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I hadn't seen anything about it, but here's the release info:
ISO.org said:
Ref.: 879
10 November 2003
Quality management system for the oil and natural gas industry

A successful partnership between ISO and the international oil and natural gas industry has resulted in the publication of a new technical specification for implementing ISO 9001-based quality management systems (QMS).

ISO/TS 29001:2003, Petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries - Sector-specific quality management systems - Requirements for product and service supply organizations, is envisaged to become the common and unique basis for the industry's quality management system requirements worldwide, thereby helping to avoid multiple systems that would, if each needs to be certified, require multiple audits.

The industry handles hazardous fluids and gases through a variety of processes. Considerations of the safety of personnel, both staff and public, of the protection of the environment and of business continuity (maintenance of revenue streams, both for companies and for national economies) require a high level of operational integrity. A key element in the assurance of appropriate products being supplied is the quality management system operated by the goods supplier and service contractor. The experience of previous editions of API Q1 has proven that requirements additional to ISO 9001:2000 are necessary to provide assurance with respect to quality of products and services on a consistent and global basis.

The new document was the result of a collaboration between the American Petroleum Institute (API) and ISO technical committee ISO/TC 67, Materials, equipment and offshore structures for petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries.

According to John Modine, Director - Certification Programs, American Petroleum Institute (API), ISO/TS 29001 is expected to result in "Increased international acceptance of time-tested sector-specific quality system requirements on a broad scale for the worldwide oil and gas industry." He defines it as: "One industry - one standard."

"We knew that API Spec Q1 (6th Edition) contained extremely valuable quality system requirements for the oil and gas industry - and we wanted to help disseminate those sector-specific quality requirements to the international oil and gas industry. We concluded that the best way to do that would be to draft the next version of API Spec Q1 (7th Edition) with a joint API/ISO committee with the final result being a joint publication of API Spec Q1 and ISO/TS 29001. The ultimate goal is to obtain worldwide acceptance and use of the standard."

The new technical specification aims at the development of a quality management system that provides for continual improvement, emphasizing defect prevention and the reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain and from service providers.

Incorporating the requirements of ISO 9001:2000, ISO/TS 29001:2003 also includes detailed, sector-specific requirements for design, development, production, installation and service of products. To assist the user, the requirements of ISO 9001:2000 are given in boxed text, followed by specific guidance and supplementary requirements for its implementation within the industry. Although some of the supplementary requirements may be viewed as not specific to this industry, they are needed in TS 29001 in order to ensure that the requirement(s) are explicit and can be audited.

ISO/TS 29001 is available for use by manufacturers of oil industry equipment and materials (upstream and downstream), service providers to the oil and gas industry, purchasers of equipment, materials and services and organizations who could use the standard for assessments and certification.

ISO/TS 29001:2003, Petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries - Sector-specific quality management systems - Requirements for product and service supply organizations, costs 108 Swiss francs and is available from ISO national member institutes (see complete list with contact details), and from ISO Central Secretariat.

Enquiries about orders:

Ms. Sonia Rosas
Marketing Services
Tel. +41 22 749 03 36
Fax +41 22 749 09 47
E-mail [email protected]

Press contact:

Ms. Elizabeth Gasiorowski-Denis
Journalist
Public Relations Services
Tel. +41 22 749 01 11
Fax +41 22 733 34 30
E-mail [email protected]

R

RosieA

I just started a new job with a company that has the API certification. Like other industry-specific specs, TS 29001 supplements the text of 9001 with industry specific requirements. For this segment, the key issue seems to be the establishment of control features for a variety of processes, and the inclusion of some 9001:1994 text that the API folks seemed loath to part with.

I have an audit coming up in the near future, so I'd be interested if anyone on the forums has been through a TS 29001 audit and can compare it to a 9001 audit.

R

RosieA

It went very well, no findings or observations.

The audit itself was different than an ISO audit, with the auditor armed with a lengthy checklist that he went down over the course of 4 days. It was less process auditing and more element auditing. Some of the interpretations of new 9001:2000 elements were slightly different, competence, for example. The focus was really on how much training had been done instead of whether the individual was competent to do the job after the training.

The week following the API audit, I had my first (since joining this company) 6 month ISO audit, so it was a busy couple of weeks! The ISO audit was clean, also.

How was your Asia trip? Is this somewhere you've been before?

E

Ernawati Aprilia

Re: Iso/ts 29001:2003

Could you mind to help me for ISO/TS 29001:2003 requirement standard?Please............

E

Ernawati Aprilia

Re: New Standard: ISO/TS 29001:2003 - Petroleum, Petrochemical and Natural Gas Indust

:confused: I work at management system consultant in Indonesia. We have clients petroleum industries. I confuse to implement TS 29001:2003. Would you help me?..thank's before.

Regards,

Erna

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: New Standard: ISO/TS 29001:2003 - Petroleum, Petrochemical and Natural Gas Indust

:confused: I work at management system consultant in Indonesia. We have clients petroleum industries. I confuse to implement TS 29001:2003. Would you help me?..thank's before.

Hello Erna,

Welcome to the cove. You may have noticed that the cove is a big family and visitors here are either practitioners/users in the relevant field, auditors, consultants, academicians and even students. Most have some practical knowledge on relevant subjects and all are here to share and learn from each other. Coupled with the nature of a forum, Questions and Answers become an effective way to communicate and exchange.

You have yet to let us know what you really want! Please list them down as questions and some 'covers' will respond to your queries.

For the benefit of those who intend to respond to your queries, can you let us know the following:
1. do you have basic knowledge of ISO 9001?
2. Have you undergone any training in ISO 27001 and/or do you have basic knowledge on this standard?
3. What is expected of you from your company? - to take up a consultancy position?

Enjoy learning, the cove can become addictive!

M

Mark R.

Does anyone have a sample checklist for this standard?

Top Bottom