ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement

Senray897

Registered
Hi All, a very good day. I am new to NDT field and ISO17020. The company i am working for wants to go for ISO17020 accreditation. The consultant we have hired said all equipment must be calibrated by accredited lab only. Our UT equipment is being calibrated by the supplier we buy the equipment from and they are calibrating it based on manufacturer's method. There is no calibration lab near us who can actually calibrate the UT equipment. What can i do to comply the calibration requirement? Thank you in advance.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Hi All, a very good day. I am new to NDT field and ISO17020. The company i am working for wants to go for ISO17020 accreditation. The consultant we have hired said all equipment must be calibrated by accredited lab only. Our UT equipment is being calibrated by the supplier we buy the equipment from and they are calibrating it based on manufacturer's method. There is no calibration lab near us who can actually calibrate the UT equipment. What can i do to comply the calibration requirement? Thank you in advance.

My best answer is for you to speak with your Accreditation Board. They have different policies on this. I think (but do not know for certain) that all require that you provide evidence that you have performed "due diligence" in seeking an accredited laboratory.

For instance, A2LA has this policy:
"A CAB may use a calibration laboratory whose service is suitable for the intended need, but is not covered by the ILAC MRA under the following conditions:
a) The CAB maintains evidence that there is no other accredited calibration laboratory available to perform the calibration or maintains evidence of qualification for special circumstances (see Policy: Special Circumstances); and
b) The CAB maintains evidence of a calibration certificate that contains all of the following 1. The calibration result; and, 2. An indication of the reference measurement standard(s) used to perform the calibration;
c) The CAB maintains evidence that the reference measurement standard(s) noted on the calibration certificate are traceable to the SI through NIST (or equivalent) or an accredited laboratory;
d) The CAB maintains evidence of the calibration interval4 for the measuring and test equipment (M&TE) or reference measurement standard. "

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource

Another thing I forgot to mention. The only equipment that requires 17025 calibration is the equipment used for your 17020 testing. Your other equipment does not need to go through that level of service.

Top Bottom