ISO9001 Certification - Group of companies operating in different sectors

AndyN

Moved On
The simple answer is the client can have this situation covered by one certificate or many. It's all in the 'scope' and wording on the certificate. Precedent has been set for 1 certification to cover multiple businesses.

It is possible for the single certificate to list the names of the companies and the scopes of their qms certified that certificate.

I

ISO 9001 Guy

I agree with your simple answer. But it might not be a simple solution in the end. I respectfully submit that it might not be the best solution for each individual organization trying to manage quality, though it may have advantages for certification.

Just because a precedent has been set--somebody has done it that way--doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea for everyone, does it?

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyN

Moved On
I agree with your simple answer. But it might not be simple solution in the end. I respectfully submit that it might not be the best solution for each individual organization trying to manage quality, though it may have advantages for certification.

Why not? Each 'business unit' can manage its own activities can't it? In fact since this is in the construction industry, I'd think it was likely to be more effective that way! We aren't talking about lines of manufacturing. These are distinct functions with different objectives etc. Indeed, I'd suggest that to combine them would be just the wrong thing to do...

I

ISO 9001 Guy

If all of these companies were vertically aligned, it might be a different story. From my impression of it, this is not the case. Even if it were the case, I think Kev should think twice about scrunching them all together just so they can put one cert on the group.

Big Jim

Admin
Simpler still would be to present concepts and alternatives and let Kev and his company decide.

Personally, I tend to prefer the simplier solution over the complex solution, especially if the complexity doesn't add value.

I

ISO 9001 Guy

Yes, I agree. The simplest solution that is right for quality, of course. Often times, the easy solution for conformity and the best solution for quality are two different things. The best solution is the often simplest in the long run. It's the solutions that merely appear to be simple in the short run that we need to watch out for. All we can do is provide considerations regarding the consequences of this choice, hoping the right choice is made for the companies involved.

D

DrM2u

And the debates go on ... :lmao: Now let's see if I can irritate somebody with my :2cents: ...

Let's face it, we (including myself) are proposing solutions when we do not have all the facts. Heck, all we know is that there is a group of companies that is looking at becoming ISO 9001 registered. They all work within the same industry (construction) but in diferent sectors. What else do you know that I don't?!? All the 'proposed solutions' thus far are based on too many assumptions to be worth a dime. Not only that but you continue to debate who is right and who is wrong and who is partially right and wrong. So let me tell you: WE ARE ALL WRONG!:frust:

Like I said, there are not enough facts and too many assumptions to present a professional solution, regardless of how educated the suggestion is. Let Kev and his organization decide what path to take with the aid of a CB then our turn will come if Kev still needs our input. Those of us who are professionals should know when it is time to back off of a topic instead of continuing to try to impose our points of view senselessly. Those who continue to push their points of view should seek psychological professional help.:bonk:

K

kev4791

Hi guys,

Just back at work today so picking up on all the latest replies. Many thanks for most of it. It did look for a while that my original query was somewhat lost throughout some of the postings and I agree I was a bit scarce in the details provided originally.

I had approached some CBs before the holidays but as yet am awaiting replies. Initially I just wanted to throw the idea out there if it was feasible for multiple different companies to be registered under 1 form but on hindsight the 'scope' may be a bit too varied.

Will let you guys know how I get on once I have spoken with the CBs.

Thanks again and happy new year to all.:agree:

Kev

harry

Trusted Information Resource
...........It did look for a while that my original query was somewhat lost throughout some of the postings and I agree I was a bit scarce in the details provided originally.

................Will let you guys know how I get on once I have spoken with the CBs.

We are sorry about that. There may be a bit of assumptions due to insufficient data provided but I can see that they were done in good faith. We look forward for more updates and/or info. from you.

Happy New Year and enjoy your holiday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom