ISO9001 how to approve trade supplier and packaging supplier

S

Selina L

Dear Cove Member ,
I have read most supplier approve discuss here ,and I really learn a lot .
But I am still need some help from you for ISO9001:2008 supplier approve:
Currently the company I worked have no record for approve forigen trader(they don't produce material themselves)and pacakaging supplier .And I want to set up this .Can I use the way as below?
1. For Packaging Supplier
1.1 : For already exist packaging supplier -----Use the history perfomance of the quality perfomance and on time delivery for incoming material as a proof for approve ?
1.2 :For new packaging supplier -----Tracking 3 lots incoming material performance as a proof for approve .But these will cause problem like ,when i buy the first 3 lots ,it is still not approved supplier .Any good and easy way to do the approve for the packaging supplier ?
2.For foreign trader supplier :(They don't manifactue the material shipping to us)
2.1: If the trader supplier can provide the ISO certificate of its supplier made the material .It can be accept ?
2.2 : We plan to sign a business contract with the trader compay ,which include the quality requirement for material the supplier need to meet .Can the business contract can be taken as the proof how we approve the supplier ?
Or anyone can give me any advice for the easiest way to approve the trader supplier ?Can I just by approve the material they provide to approve the supplier ?( eg,MSDS report ,Certificate of compliance and material spec )

Thank you so much !
selina

Last edited by a moderator:
G

guruprasadb

For packaging supplier

You may first conduct supplier evaluation audit, verify the samples at the supplier end suiting to a defined requirements. if found ok then then tracking first 3 lots to monitor product quality and logistic issue and you may proceed for Approved supplier.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Selina,

What are your criteria for selecting a packaging supplier?

From your selection criteria we may advise how best to evaluate your packaging suppliers.

Many thanks,

John

S

Selina L

Thank you so much for your reply .
But for the packaging : We currenly buy from the supplier website ,it is kind of like "off shelf product ".And it is hard to do supplier evaluation audit .We just choose the size and material we need ,and buy.So any good idea for approve of these supplier? Thank you so much .

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Thank you so much for your reply .
But for the packaging : We currenly buy from the supplier website ,it is kind of like "off shelf product ".And it is hard to do supplier evaluation audit .We just choose the size and material we need ,and buy.So any good idea for approve of these supplier? Thank you so much .

Selina,

So, it appears that your selection criteria are:

• Packaging as advertised conforms to specifications
  • Price is competitive
  • Delivery promise enables you to keep your delivery promises
What evidence do you have that you can rely on A, B and C?

If your evidence is solid then you'll be developing a long-term relationship with this supplier so they help keep your company competitive. From this relationship you'll be able to develop your re-selection criteria as part of your continual improvement.

Special packaging for easily broken items or particularly valuable items may require design input from your packaging supplier therefore adding a fourth selection criterion. For proactively and inexpensively selecting design-capable packaging suppliers you may also seek evidence of truly independent accredited certification of their management system (with design services in their scope and no exclusion of clause 7.3) and their effective interaction with your product design team.

John

S

Selina L

Hi John ,

Thank you so much for your reply :
We have two kind of packaging material :
1. One is Bucket /Bottle/Jars : We buy these kind of material from the supplier website .And we have 2 supplier to buy from .We choose the size we need and buy.
2. the second packaing material is Box ,we have some requirement for Dimension and Logo Print .
We have set up the reselection method by pass rate of incoming material inspection .But the price is the most important for whether we will continue to buy from the supplier .

So how Can we set up approve process for these supplier ? My boss think the packaging material will not cause cutomer complain .He don't want any appove for these supplier .he choose only by price .So if I choose these suplier only by price. It meet the ISO9001:2008? Any what record I need to keep for approve these suppier ?

Thank you so much

somashekar

Leader
Admin
So how Can we set up approve process for these supplier ? My boss think the packaging material will not cause cutomer complain .He don't want any appove for these supplier .he choose only by price .So if I choose these suplier only by price. It meet the ISO9001:2008? Any what record I need to keep for approve these suppier ?
Sorry, but your boss must be appraised, because packaging material is a part of your supplied part for its conformity to requirement. Please see ISO9001:2008 clause 7.5.5.
About 1. Supplier has some stuff that you select and buy. If that is OK for your application, then you approve that trade supplier for that part.
About 2. Supplier makes and supplies per your drawing / specifications. When the dimensions meets and the logo print clarity, color is OK for you, and you have also determined the bursting factor / strength that meets as tested (By you or supplier) and the construction (kraft ply / number of corrogations and type / top paper color / type, etc), then you approve him based on your inspection record like the "First article inspection".
Your requirements must be determined first and that must be met. Price comes next.
In both cases you have to maintan the record which approves the part from supplier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom