• Residents of the State of Florida in the United States are prohibited from accessing Elsmar.com, or registering in the forum.
    Elsmar.com ToS
Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

ISO9001 to QS9000 Compliance Problems

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
1. FIFO as in regards to revision control. We currently do not use FIFO in our incoming inventory. Parts from suppliers are often mixed (castings, etc). Is this going to be a problem?
Typically yes. Can you explain why FIFO would not benefit you? YHou're going to have to be able to show that the parts are not age sensitive. Maybe all your projects are less than a year and then all parts are used up. No FIFO will be a difficult arguement to gain acceptance of.

2. APQP and R&D. I want to write my procedure such that R&D is a "black box" and is not subject to APQP until we decide to actually manufacture the product. Problem with this idea?
R&D is tyically not highly structured. To some degree neither is design. But both have some basic 'sequences' they go thru. As far as I understand it R&D can be excluded from the registration scope which woiuld solve your problem.

3. Operator certification. I interprete QS to say that machinist, operators, assemblers, etc., should be certified to handle the product. Yes/No? Best way to comply with existing workforce?
You have to decide what should be certified and what should not. If every company certified every assembler, every operator and every machinist - well, things would be more expensive. For some asides info see: Elsmar.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000259.html and Elsmar.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000188.html and Elsmar.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000110.html and http://Elsmar.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000063.html

4. Now the really difficult one: Order entry. Our order entry is EDI. The customer sends it into the system directly. Currently no human review. They create the due date. Sometimes, we can't hit their required date and have to change it. Would this be missing the ship date? What if we get customer approval? Example: Original customer date is 3/15/00 - we change the date to 4/1/00 and notify the customer. If it ships on 4/1/00 did we hit the date? Or is it still counted as late since we didn't hit the original due date of 3/15/00?
I'll let someone else attach this one.

Last question: Does anyone have a "rule of thumb" number for QS consulting? If I want to get some consulting help, what is a rough, ball park number, to plug into the budget? $x per day, per hour, etc.?
Of course, if you're looking for a consultant, you want me !!

I generally charge between US$600 to US$1250 a day. Depends upon the contract and such. You want me to stop in for a day it's gonna be near US$1250. You have a project, 650 to 850 a day. I'm open to negotiation.

Other consultants are welcomed to reply in this thread with their 'typical' fees, by the way.

B

BWoods

Thanks for all the quick info, Marc.

As for TS vs QS. The trucking industry runs behind the auto. They are still talking QS and wanting that. It will probably be 2 years before they are making much noise about TS. Further, I think we could get QS quicker and eaiser - then look up at up-grading to TS.

BTW: We don't need FIFO for the material. Shelf life is not a problem for us. The only problem is I have seen auditors "back door" FIFO with revision control. Our stock turns average 10 per year, plus it is mostly metal and non-perishables.

At other companies, I am use to keeping revision control in compliance with FIFO. In an environment with no FIFO, that is hard to do.

Bill

B

BWoods

We are an OEM for the trucking industry. Currently certified to ISO-9001 and moving to QS-9000 by Dec. 2000. I have noted the following major problems in our systems and would welcome any help or suggestions:

1. FIFO as in regards to revision control. We currently do not use FIFO in our incoming inventory. Parts from suppliers are often mixed (castings, etc). Is this going to be a problem?
2. APQP and R&D. I want to write my procedure such that R&D is a "black box" and is not subject to APQP until we decide to actually manufacture the product. Problem with this idea?
3. Operator certification. I interprete QS to say that machinist, operators, assemblers, etc., should be certified to handle the product. Yes/No? Best way to comply with existing workforce?
4. Now the really difficult one: Order entry. Our order entry is EDI. The customer sends it into the system directly. Currently no human review. They create the due date. Sometimes, we can't hit their required date and have to change it. Would this be missing the ship date? What if we get customer approval? Example: Original customer date is 3/15/00 - we change the date to 4/1/00 and notify the customer. If it ships on 4/1/00 did we hit the date? Or is it still counted as late since we didn't hit the original due date of 3/15/00?

Last question: Does anyone have a "rule of thumb" number for QS consulting? If I want to get some consulting help, what is a rough, ball park number, to plug into the budget? $x per day, per hour, etc.?

Lots of questions, I know. Thanks for any and all help.

PS BIG management presentation on this being given 3/15/00.

Thanks,

Bill

Top Bottom