Definition Issue - "Issue" vs. "Risk" in ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100 Rev D (Definitions)

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
I've recently completed my Probitas authentication for AS9100D Lead Auditor, and a question came up that elicited an unclear response from our trainer. The question surrounds the use of the term "issues" in Clause 4.1: "The organization shall determine internal and external issues (my emphasis) that are relevant to its purpose and its strategic direction...". Clause 6.1.1 goes on to state "When planning for the quality management system, the organization shall consider the issues (my emphasis) referred to in 4.1 and the requirements referred to in 4.2 and determine the risks and opportunities that need to be addressed....".

My question: what is the intended definition of "issues"? Why would the standard use both terms together and not just one? An issue is a risk to me...I've yet to come across an issue that was not seen as a negative occurrence.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

Tyler C

Re: "Issue" vs. "Risk" in ISO9001:2015/AS9100D

I did a quick search and found that this topic is frequently debated. The common difference seems to be that issues have already happened while risks are events that have not yet happened.

I believe they tie together in clause 6.1.1 because an issue has happened, and may potentially lead to more issues that haven't happened yet, and are therefore referred to as risks.

Also, keep in mind that note 1 in clause 4.1 states "Issues can include positive and negative factors or conditions for consideration."

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Re: "Issue" vs. "Risk" in ISO9001:2015/AS9100D

I did a quick search and found that this topic is frequently debated. The common difference seems to be that issues have already happened while risks are events that have not yet happened.

I believe they tie together in clause 6.1.1 because an issue has happened, and may potentially lead to more issues that haven't happened yet, and are therefore referred to as risks.

Also, keep in mind that note 1 in clause 4.1 states "Issues can include positive and negative factors or conditions for consideration."
Thanks guys - very much appreciated. I always value your input.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Wet Signature Document Attachments in SAP - Risk on Data Integrity issue? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
D IEC 60601-1 & Risk Management issue IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
G Dangerous Act - Auditor says major nonconformance for safety (risk) issue Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 21
I Feasibility Study rather than an FMEA on a Risk Issue - Clause 7.2.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
H How do you see the "Risk Analysis" issue in the ISO 9001 context? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Problem solving activity - Three hours to fix the issue Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
I Reissuing documents due to missing version / issue numbers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Marc Fuel tank issue (FOD) hits Boeing’s 737 MAX - Feb 2020 World News 16
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
Ron Rompen 2D matrix issue - Parts (machined steel) returned from the customer Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
G PolyWorks Alignment Issue - How to align the part General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
V Every good documentation practice observation is an data integrity issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
V What is the criteria to cite an good documentation practices observation as an data integrity related issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
A Domain of the component (EASA CM No.: CM-SWCEH-001 Issue 01 Revision 02) Point 9.3.3 (Usage domain aspects) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
B How to reply NCR on ineffectiveness of corrective action during IATF external audit? This is repeated issue whereby some mistake was done. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J Control of nonconforming product issue (AS91000) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
C TL-9000 Certifying Body Issue - Auditor failed to find an issue for 10 years TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 16
E Determining what is good and what is bad can be subjective - when is it a quality issue? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Ed Panek Sensitive Supplier Issue - Single source supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B NB won't issue CE Certificate or return phone calls CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A Drawing Issue with Supplier - xb file did not match that of the pdf drawing Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
J MAG 6 and EASA Part-145 Issue 005. EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
A ISO/IEC 27001 - Issue during implementation of system IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
M Saturated salts issue - Humidity Chamber General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
N Do I need to approach galvanized steel sheet flatness issue with DOE? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
Sidney Vianna ASQ apparently doesn't know ISO does not issue ISO 9001 certificates? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
D Can an AS9100 auditor issue an NCR a month after the audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
K Class II Medical Device Compatibility Issue - Removal or Market withdrawal? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Can you stock parts without an 8130 and issue one at time of sale? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
R How many Corrective Action Request can be Issued by DCMA for a single issue? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
K NCR or CA? We're taking any issue we have and saying its a nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
R DCMA QAR Service Issue - Resident Inspectors absent from the plant AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
F Power Cord Length Issue - Medical Device Electrical Safety IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Breach of Contract from Registrar (Auditor Payment Issue) Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
T EASA TAG Block 11 Status/Work issue Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
M Issue with CAPA system - Should Over Due CAs warrant a CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
S Could I issue major finding for Inadequate Procedures Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17
G IEC 60601-1-2 Sample Size issue Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Repeatability issue in Gage R&R study for inner diameter of a bushing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
G Out of Dimensional Tolerance - MRB Audit Issue Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
P Cross Section Issue - Dissecting a plastic part for measurement Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Supplier Process Review and Issue Communication SOP/Form help wanted Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
L Excel 2013 file issue - Information in the drop down menu disappears Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
J Clear Zinc Plating Corrosion issue...Need some education Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T Excel Conditional Format Issue Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 16
W Profilometer Surface Roughness Tester Issue - Ball Bearings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N Documents in different languages - Revision and Issue Number Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7