Issues with UDI additions to 21 CFR 820 requirements

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
I know that in previous threads I've been a bit critical of the FDA's UDI initiative, but the way they've worded the updated 21 CFR 820 requirements is yet another thing I (forgive me) can't help gripe about.

For example, complaint and service records now require:

"Any unique device identifier (UDI) or universal product code (UPC), and any other device identification(s) and control number(s) used;"
(underline added)

So, to strictly comply to the requirements as worded, is the expectation to manually record the 14+ character UDI string in addition to a batch or serial number? This, in my opinion, is unnecessarily onerous (especially for those of us using paper forms), nevermind the fact that the latter data is already embedded in the former...

To me, the important thing is that there is sufficient data recorded to identify the device. Our present practice of recording a 6-character serial number works just fine. I don't see how requiring documenting a lengthy UDI string adds any value. If anything it'll just be more prone to data-entry errors!

Am I completely misinterpreting these requirements? Should the underlined "and" be more appropriately changed to "or"? Does anyone else feel that recording UDIs on anything but the DHR is of no value?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

kreid

Involved In Discussions
My take on it is that the UDI could include your batch/serial number,
from 820:
Unique device identifier (UDI) means an identifier that adequately identifies a device through its distribution and use by meeting the requirements of 830.20 of this chapter. A unique device identifier is composed of:
(1) A device identifier --a mandatory, fixed portion of a UDI that identifies the specific version or model of a device and the labeler of that device; and
(2) A production identifier --a conditional, variable portion of a UDI that identifies one or more of the following when included on the label of the device:
(i) The lot or batch within which a device was manufactured;
(ii) The serial number of a specific device;
(iii) The expiration date of a specific device;
(iv) The date a specific device was manufactured.

That way you will meet the FDA expectations and still be able to use you batch/serial numbers for internal use?

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
My take on it is that the UDI could include your batch/serial number
Yes, it does include batch/serial number, which to me is the critical identifying element (at least when it comes to complaint and service records), and requiring all the other information is just unnecessary (as far as they may be critical information for complaint and service records).

Because of the UDI's requirement for AIDC encoding, the device identifier alone is 14 characters (at least for GS1). Is this necessary to manually document on complaint and service records? Apparently a simple model and serial number is no longer sufficient to identify a device?

I just don't see the value of mandating recording UDI's on complaint and service records (where other, simpler, means of identification would suffice).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ronen E FDA issues draft guidance on form & content of UDI Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
bio_subbu FDA issues Guidance on UDI - Frequently Asked Questions, Vol. 1 Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
bio_subbu FDA issues Small Entity Compliance Guidance for UDI Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
bio_subbu GHTF Issues Draft Guidance Document on UDI System for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
G Issues/Roadblocks with APQP implementation APQP and PPAP 7
G Resistance to solve Issues Customer Complaints 8
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
F Issues in Uncertainty Estimation Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
R Robotic weld cell - maintenance issues - expertise needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
K Implant Card - Full Manufacturer's Address - Space issues EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Labeling - 2017/745 - EUMDR Requirements and Trademark Issues EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Q Connecting AS9100 D Clause 4.2 to 9.3.2 b - Interested parties and relevant issues AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
R Identifying internal issues.. at what level? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Ronen E FDA News FDA issues guidance on bench testing in premarket submissions Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
dhuot1990 Issues with REES Environmental Monitoring System Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Why does the standard clause use the term Issues in place of Context - ISO 27001 4.1 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
Ashok sunder How to determine the internal and external issues in ISO 45001 standard? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
CCaantley Issues with Faro Quantum S and LLP General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
M FDA News The FDA Issues Final Rule on Medical Device Classification Procedures Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Risk Approach doesn't address External Issues (Auditor's Comment) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
qualprod Closing Out Negative Issues in Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
O Private label issues For EU - Customer does not have CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
O Examples of the external and internal issues and their risks and opportunities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Y ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 4.1 Note 1 - External and Internal issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
bio_subbu Indian government issues guidance on Grouping Medical Devices in a Single Submission Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
qualprod External/internal issues removed as well? ISO 9001:2015 Cl. 4.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
bio_subbu India’s CDSCO Issues FAQ's on Medical Device Rule, 2017 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Capturing Issues of Devices Past Lifetime Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A ISO 9001 Help - New Quality Manager - Upper Management Support Issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
A EMC Emission Issues - Communication between PC and Monitor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Looking for an example of Issues Log ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A One site of multi-site company closing - Quality transfer issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
Ronen E FDA issues draft guidance on additive manufacturing Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
L Packaging Issues Resulted CAR by customer Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
M What is the value of documenting in-process rework for easily-detectable issues? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
bio_subbu USFDA issues draft Guidance on the Acceptance of Medical Device Clinical Data Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
bio_subbu USFDA issues final guidance on "Reprocessing Medical Devices in Health Care Settings" Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
V What tool do you use for systemic issues? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
J CFDA issues Guiding Opinions on Enhancing the Construction of Food and Drug Inspectio China Medical Device Regulations 1
J Customer Complaint - PPAP - Issues not called out on the print APQP and PPAP 3
Marc FDA Issues Guidance On Cybersecurity of Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
G VoIP PBX Development Issues Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Ajit Basrur FDA issues Guidance Document - Benefits-Risks Factors to consider for 510(K) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
bio_subbu India's CDSCO issues a list of Medical Devices that require Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
bio_subbu USFDA issues final guidance on Global Unique Device Identification Database (GUDID) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Ajit Basrur FDA issues Final Guidance on Mobile Medical Apps (Applications) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Buffer Media Validation Issues Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
W Customer Recommendation of Supplier - Qualification Issues Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
Pancho Quality Nightmare - Porsche 911 991 Issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
bio_subbu MHRA issues guidance on Medical Device stand-alone software (including apps) EU Medical Device Regulations 1