Issuing NCR for improper method statement submissions

mah1r

Starting to get Involved
just wanted to know if you cna issue an NCR for document submittals which are not done propely , in my case our subcontractor had submitted various method statements for a construction project , whch were absolutely rubish nad was techncally not acceptable , showing a lack of knowledge fo the works to b edone at site .

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
just wanted to know if you cna issue an NCR for document submittals which are not done propely , in my case our subcontractor had submitted various method statements for a construction project , whch were absolutely rubish nad was techncally not acceptable , showing a lack of knowledge fo the works to b edone at site .
mah,

You’re complaining about your subcontractor’s lousy service when it comes to designing and documenting methods that prevent nonconformity.

Of course you should issue to the subcontractor an NCR to define the nature of the nonconformity, the requirement that was not fulfilled and the evidence of the nonconformity with the requirement to fix the problem and to stop it from happening again. Naturally you’ll agree a deadline. Fixing by rework or replacement is fine but repair or accepting the nonconformity as both these “fixes” would be a design change needing the designer’s approval.

But you may find you’ve decided to do business with an incapable subcontractor and they are going to need your help unless you decide to replace them.

So, also invoke corrective action on your own management system so your subcontractor selection criteria are updated to conform to your subcontractor service spec perhaps to form boiler plate requirements to your subcontract docs.

Good luck,

John

Before you do anything, may I ask if you had a clear specification for what you EXPECT to be in such a submittal? From my many years in the supply chain, I can vouch for the fact that whenever anyone starts pointing a finger at a sub-contractor, not only (as Sidney points out) are your organization responsible for selecting this sub-contractor, but you are also required to be clear in your purchasing arrangements what you want from them...

You may wish to issue an NCR, however, what are they non-compliant with?

mah1r

Starting to get Involved
Shouldn’t you be more worried how such an inept subcontractor was chosen as an approved external source?
I literally had a fight with upper management to get them off the project , as I'm put in a real bad situation with the consultant and client , but in fortunately the subcontractor has a close relationship with our CEO :( so stuck with them , only hope is to take out the stick and get them to behave .:)

mah1r

Starting to get Involved
Before you do anything, may I ask if you had a clear specification for what you EXPECT to be in such a submittal? From my many years in the supply chain, I can vouch for the fact that whenever anyone starts pointing a finger at a sub-contractor, not only (as Sidney points out) are your organization responsible for selecting this sub-contractor, but you are also required to be clear in your purchasing arrangements what you want from them...

You may wish to issue an NCR, however, what are they non-compliant with?
They haven't taken into account any of the project specifications and requirements and submitted a ridiculous document that literally make no sense . I was on leave and my junior engineer didn't review the document before submitting it to the consultant for approval .

mah1r

Starting to get Involved
mah,

You’re complaining about your subcontractor’s lousy service when it comes to designing and documenting methods that prevent nonconformity.

Of course you should issue to the subcontractor an NCR to define the nature of the nonconformity, the requirement that was not fulfilled and the evidence of the nonconformity with the requirement to fix the problem and to stop it from happening again. Naturally you’ll agree a deadline. Fixing by rework or replacement is fine but repair or accepting the nonconformity as both these “fixes” would be a design change needing the designer’s approval.

But you may find you’ve decided to do business with an incapable subcontractor and they are going to need your help unless you decide to replace them.

So, also invoke corrective action on your own management system so your subcontractor selection criteria are updated to conform to your subcontractor service spec perhaps to form boiler plate requirements to your subcontract docs.

Good luck,

John
We have no choice but to work along with this subcontractor as they are quiet close with our CEO .

Will surely raise the NCR , as they aren't reviewing any of the documents prior to submitting it to is and there is major lack of technical competency in the preparation of documents .

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
I literally had a fight with upper management to get them off the project , as I'm put in a real bad situation with the consultant and client , but in fortunately the subcontractor has a close relationship with our CEO :( so stuck with them , only hope is to take out the stick and get them to behave .:)
Then may I suggest that you update your supplier selection criteria to include this truth?

...“or close relationship with CEO”.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
If the subcontractor was chosen for the wrong reasons, such as a cozy relationship with the CEO, what is the likelihood of them paying attention to your request for corrective action? What makes you think the subcontractor will listen to you?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Auditor Remorse for not issuing an NCR AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
A Issuing Countermeasure Report - Does every nonconformance identified require an NCR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
S Issuing of CoC to Customer in a Word or Excel format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
W Issuing reports under ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
M Informational Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2019/939 of 6 June 2019 designating issuing entities designated to operate a system for the assignment of Unique Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News EU – MDCG 2019-1 MDCG guiding principles for issuing entities rules on Basic UDI-DI Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
supadrai Auditing Organization dragging their heels on issuing our MDSAP Surveillance Audit Confirmation Letter - everyone is nervous ... are we the only ones? Canada Medical Device Regulations 7
E ISO 9001-2008 Purchasing controls ? Issuing POs Without Specific Approvals Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
N DNV issuing six year ISO 9001 certificates? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
Ajit Basrur ICCBBA Is Now an FDA-Accredited Issuing Agency for Unique Device Identifiers (UDI) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Possible Actions for Nonconforming Product besides issuing NC Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
L Notified Body not issuing 'Improvement Potentials' anymore (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
K Reasons for Issuing Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
W Issuing Authority - ISO 17025 Clause 4.3.2.3 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Stores Stock Issuing Process Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
michellemmm Thoughts on issuing a CAR for Operator Error General Auditing Discussions 15
J Issuing Authority on Forms - Required? ISO 17025 Clause 4.3.2.3 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
L Issuing Credit to Customer - Example form / template Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
D Label Control - Who handles label control and the issuing of labels Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S TS 16949 Clause 8.5.2 Audit Nonconformance for not issuing internal CARs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Sidney Vianna Accredited registrars issuing non accredited certificates Registrars and Notified Bodies 38
M Issuing a Corrective Action against Internal Customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Risk Anlysis for Evaluating then Voiding or Not Issuing CPAR's Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
C NCR (Nonconformance System) Software Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
L How to write a proper defect description in a NCR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
Q When to write up a nonconformance and require a NCR - We produce labels ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
B How to reply NCR on ineffectiveness of corrective action during IATF external audit? This is repeated issue whereby some mistake was done. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Scrap is NCR or not - What regulation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
Q Interaction of Processes IOP NCR Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
W Surveillance report along side an NCR program Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
A NCR, NCMR, CAPA, Deviations - Medical Device Distributor Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
D Can an AS9100 auditor issue an NCR a month after the audit? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
K AS9100 - No NCR's or CA's during Stage 2 Audit AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
W IATF 16949 Clause 6.1.1 - My first Major NCR (Management Review) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 57
K NCR or CA? We're taking any issue we have and saying its a nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
S Re-validation NCR - In which cases re-validation of processes is required Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
Pancho United Airlines NCR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 43
Q Practical Way to raise NCR's in an Assembly Workshop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
W NCR Performance KPI Monitoring in an Industry like Construction Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
A ISO/TS 16949 - Sharing Certification Audit Report (NCR's) with the Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N Any comment, if a supplier raise an NCR to the Client? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
Q Criteria for not rising NCR's in 8.3 of ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I NCR for Customer not updating their drawings AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
R How do you perform verification of a NCR (Nonconformance)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
N New to ISO 9001 - NCR for every defect? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Combining a CAR, an NCR, and an Accident Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
K Validity of Using NCR's to evaluate Performance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
P Differences between an NCR and CAR Internal Auditing 9
N NCR and CAPA in the FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) Industry Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
T Do Customer Returns = NCR and CAR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5