Issuing NCR for improper method statement submissions

mah1r

Starting to get Involved
just wanted to know if you cna issue an NCR for document submittals which are not done propely , in my case our subcontractor had submitted various method statements for a construction project , whch were absolutely rubish nad was techncally not acceptable , showing a lack of knowledge fo the works to b edone at site .

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
just wanted to know if you cna issue an NCR for document submittals which are not done propely , in my case our subcontractor had submitted various method statements for a construction project , whch were absolutely rubish nad was techncally not acceptable , showing a lack of knowledge fo the works to b edone at site .

mah,

You’re complaining about your subcontractor’s lousy service when it comes to designing and documenting methods that prevent nonconformity.

Of course you should issue to the subcontractor an NCR to define the nature of the nonconformity, the requirement that was not fulfilled and the evidence of the nonconformity with the requirement to fix the problem and to stop it from happening again. Naturally you’ll agree a deadline. Fixing by rework or replacement is fine but repair or accepting the nonconformity as both these “fixes” would be a design change needing the designer’s approval.

But you may find you’ve decided to do business with an incapable subcontractor and they are going to need your help unless you decide to replace them.

So, also invoke corrective action on your own management system so your subcontractor selection criteria are updated to conform to your subcontractor service spec perhaps to form boiler plate requirements to your subcontract docs.

Good luck,

John

AndyN

Moved On
Before you do anything, may I ask if you had a clear specification for what you EXPECT to be in such a submittal? From my many years in the supply chain, I can vouch for the fact that whenever anyone starts pointing a finger at a sub-contractor, not only (as Sidney points out) are your organization responsible for selecting this sub-contractor, but you are also required to be clear in your purchasing arrangements what you want from them...

You may wish to issue an NCR, however, what are they non-compliant with?

mah1r

Starting to get Involved
Shouldn’t you be more worried how such an inept subcontractor was chosen as an approved external source?

I literally had a fight with upper management to get them off the project , as I'm put in a real bad situation with the consultant and client , but in fortunately the subcontractor has a close relationship with our CEO :( so stuck with them , only hope is to take out the stick and get them to behave .:)

mah1r

Starting to get Involved
Before you do anything, may I ask if you had a clear specification for what you EXPECT to be in such a submittal? From my many years in the supply chain, I can vouch for the fact that whenever anyone starts pointing a finger at a sub-contractor, not only (as Sidney points out) are your organization responsible for selecting this sub-contractor, but you are also required to be clear in your purchasing arrangements what you want from them...

You may wish to issue an NCR, however, what are they non-compliant with?

They haven't taken into account any of the project specifications and requirements and submitted a ridiculous document that literally make no sense . I was on leave and my junior engineer didn't review the document before submitting it to the consultant for approval .

mah1r

Starting to get Involved
mah,

You’re complaining about your subcontractor’s lousy service when it comes to designing and documenting methods that prevent nonconformity.

Of course you should issue to the subcontractor an NCR to define the nature of the nonconformity, the requirement that was not fulfilled and the evidence of the nonconformity with the requirement to fix the problem and to stop it from happening again. Naturally you’ll agree a deadline. Fixing by rework or replacement is fine but repair or accepting the nonconformity as both these “fixes” would be a design change needing the designer’s approval.

But you may find you’ve decided to do business with an incapable subcontractor and they are going to need your help unless you decide to replace them.

So, also invoke corrective action on your own management system so your subcontractor selection criteria are updated to conform to your subcontractor service spec perhaps to form boiler plate requirements to your subcontract docs.

Good luck,

John

We have no choice but to work along with this subcontractor as they are quiet close with our CEO .

Will surely raise the NCR , as they aren't reviewing any of the documents prior to submitting it to is and there is major lack of technical competency in the preparation of documents .

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I literally had a fight with upper management to get them off the project , as I'm put in a real bad situation with the consultant and client , but in fortunately the subcontractor has a close relationship with our CEO :( so stuck with them , only hope is to take out the stick and get them to behave .:)

Then may I suggest that you update your supplier selection criteria to include this truth?

...“or close relationship with CEO”.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
If the subcontractor was chosen for the wrong reasons, such as a cozy relationship with the CEO, what is the likelihood of them paying attention to your request for corrective action? What makes you think the subcontractor will listen to you?

Top Bottom