Issuing of CoC to Customer in a Word or Excel format

Skilz

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

Not sure if Ive missed something but went through the 9k std and could not find the exact answer Im looking for.

One of my customers have recently upgraded their ERP system and to make life easier for them from a data input point of view, they have asked if I can issue the current CoC documents in a Word / Excel format and not as pdf as we currently do.
I am reluctant to do that for obvious reasons and have pushed back, but they are still persistent on this.

Apart from my internal procedures, is there any ISO clause I can use to back up my statement to this customer

thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
I've given CoC's in XL before.
Some customers simply want to skip the retype and import the data into their software...or at leas copy/paste.

I'll keep the .pdf and the original file for later comparison should someone play games with things...but I've not had an issue with pushback over something someone has edited...
I've had customers complain of out of spec stuff on their control charts, only to find it is a typo when they retyped from a pdf...I figure the editable doc has exactly the same risk as a pdf... .pdf's can be edited and manipulated pretty easily too, simply using powerpoint.

My two cents...

I'n not aware of any requirement (in the standard) to even MAKE a CoC, let alone provide one...and certainly not anything about what form or format or platform.

John Predmore

Quite Involved in Discussions
CoC documents in a Word / Excel format and not as pdf as we currently do.
I am reluctant to do that for obvious reasons
The customer may ask for a particular format so the ERP can parse the electronic document and pull out information fields.

ISO-9001 section 7.5.3 says "Documented information retained as evidence of conformity shall be protected from unintended alterations." I think the "obvious reasons" you mention are to avoid CoC alteration outside your knowledge or control. Even PDF is not absolute protection, because PDF editor software exists. MS Word and Excel have the ability to password protect files, but those protections are also not absolute. But most people accept these are reasonable efforts to control unintended alterations.

May sure both parties understand the other's needs and reservations. There may be other options to explore to reach a mutually agreeable solution.
Hopefully you and your customer can devise measures to protect against unintended alterations once the document is outside your control. if that is your concern.

Skilz

Involved In Discussions
Thanks all for this valuable input and pointers, it is food for thought .

May main concern is in fact just the unintended alterations, maybe unintentional, to the documents. But by keeping a copy of the certificate/doc being sent, it does keep originality. But if I can avoid this altogether then why not.
Perhaps a mutual understanding and agreement would be the best between me and the customer

Thanks again for the input

Randy

Super Moderator
If they change it it's not your fault, you can make it a read only Word document, keep an original as a pdf, whatever...........If you think you have a cheat for a client maybe re-evaluate the relationship.

dwperron

Thanks all for this valuable input and pointers, it is food for thought .

May main concern is in fact just the unintended alterations, maybe unintentional, to the documents. But by keeping a copy of the certificate/doc being sent, it does keep originality. But if I can avoid this altogether then why not.
Perhaps a mutual understanding and agreement would be the best between me and the customer

Thanks again for the input
There is an old saying:
"Locks are for keeping the honest people out"
That is why the standard specifically calls out "unintended" alterations.
Simple password protection covers that.
Anything else on the part of your customer is willful fraud.
The sensible thing for you is to satisfy a reasonable request from your customer. You're not the Calibration Police.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Good advice on password and locks (be aware that locked cells only work if you also have it password protected).
Consider also how you store your "sent email".
That's the easiest and most convincing form of proof should anything crop up.
"I sent this, please find the sent email attached." is easy and as irrefutable as it gets (which BTW is not so irrefutable).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M What happens to certifications if the issuing certification body loses accreditation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
W Issuing reports under ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
M Informational Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2019/939 of 6 June 2019 designating issuing entities designated to operate a system for the assignment of Unique Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Issuing NCR for improper method statement submissions Internal Auditing 10
M Medical Device News EU – MDCG 2019-1 MDCG guiding principles for issuing entities rules on Basic UDI-DI Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
supadrai Auditing Organization dragging their heels on issuing our MDSAP Surveillance Audit Confirmation Letter - everyone is nervous ... are we the only ones? Canada Medical Device Regulations 7
W Auditor Remorse for not issuing an NCR AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
E ISO 9001-2008 Purchasing controls ? Issuing POs Without Specific Approvals Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
N DNV issuing six year ISO 9001 certificates? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
Ajit Basrur ICCBBA Is Now an FDA-Accredited Issuing Agency for Unique Device Identifiers (UDI) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Possible Actions for Nonconforming Product besides issuing NC Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
L Notified Body not issuing 'Improvement Potentials' anymore (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
K Reasons for Issuing Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
W Issuing Authority - ISO 17025 Clause 4.3.2.3 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Stores Stock Issuing Process Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
michellemmm Thoughts on issuing a CAR for Operator Error General Auditing Discussions 15
J Issuing Authority on Forms - Required? ISO 17025 Clause 4.3.2.3 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
L Issuing Credit to Customer - Example form / template Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
D Label Control - Who handles label control and the issuing of labels Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S TS 16949 Clause 8.5.2 Audit Nonconformance for not issuing internal CARs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Sidney Vianna Accredited registrars issuing non accredited certificates Registrars and Notified Bodies 38
M Issuing a Corrective Action against Internal Customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Risk Anlysis for Evaluating then Voiding or Not Issuing CPAR's Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
A Issuing Countermeasure Report - Does every nonconformance identified require an NCR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
bryan willemot Looking for a good CoC to put with my certification sheets when we send parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J COC (Certificate of Conformity) when NOT purchasing medical devices direct from the Manufacturer Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
H Customer Requirement for Certificate of Conformance (CoC) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
C Could I be exempted from the CoC requirement? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
P Paying For CoC - Should we charge Customers for a Certificate of Conformity? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
Y Laboratories which can do IEEE Std 844 Tests and provide a CoC Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
J Extent of information required in COC (aka C of C and Certificate of Conformance) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
S Is CE IVD marking required on CoA and CoC? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Certificate of Calibration (CoC) for Item without a Serial Number? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G Same parts but new customer - What will the auditor ask me? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Customer Satisfaction importance in companies with Government/Public Administration as main customer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Q Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R Who is the customer in the ISO/IEC 17025:2017? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 16
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S How to treat a customer complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I ISO 9001:2015 Section 9.3.2 C1 "customer satisfaction and feedback from relevant interested parties" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
JoCam Labeling to Customer Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1