ITAR for waiver/exemption for Foreign Persons

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
Trusted Information Resource
I know of a mid-size manufacturer with this dilemma. Of all the folks working there, one mid-level factory worker is a Foreign Person. Everyone else, including the company, is a US Person.

They make a few part numbers that are defined by a customer as subject to ITAR or EAR regulations. The part numbers are few and far between compared to their total manufacturing output. They have a finished goods inventory (small quantities, integrated in general storage areas) of the parts. They assume the worker must not participate in the manufacture of the parts and must not have access to the finished goods and technical information related to the parts.

Their Human Resources department is concerned that singling this individual out as a Foreign Person and denying work to him/her could be construed as discrimination. The Foreign Person has been in the US for five years, getting annual renewals of a work visa. I know no further details.

Is there a process the company can use to authorize the person work on ITAR product? If so, what is it? Thanks in advance for your help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

PaulJSmith

I know there was some movement last year towards an exemption for the UK, but as I recall it was rather complicated. I used to work for a British-owned aerospace company, and always found it interesting that some of our upper management were not allowed in some of the meetings because of ITAR.

And I agree with MIREGMGR. There should be no legal ramifications.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
I know of a mid-size manufacturer with this dilemma. Of all the folks working there, one mid-level factory worker is a Foreign Person. Everyone else, including the company, is a US Person.

They make a few part numbers that are defined by a customer as subject to ITAR or EAR regulations. The part numbers are few and far between compared to their total manufacturing output. They have a finished goods inventory (small quantities, integrated in general storage areas) of the parts. They assume the worker must not participate in the manufacture of the parts and must not have access to the finished goods and technical information related to the parts.

Their Human Resources department is concerned that singling this individual out as a Foreign Person and denying work to him/her could be construed as discrimination. The Foreign Person has been in the US for five years, getting annual renewals of a work visa. I know no further details.

Is there a process the company can use to authorize the person work on ITAR product? If so, what is it? Thanks in advance for your help!
I doubt a waiver is possible. Federal regulations are regulations. No discrimination. The company must take precaution to protect the information.

I worked for a Swedish owned company and Foreign Persons were not allowed in certain meetings and did not have access to ITAR controlled information.

I have a client today who has a separate floor in the building with limited access because of defense work. Also any ITAR controlled information has special access controls. Actually the badges show if a person is ITAR certified after a person has gone through ITAR training.

Do not take this lightly.

T

tomvehoski

I also recently worked for a defense contractor. It was possible to get a foreigner ITAR clearance. I'm not sure what it involved, but I know we had some people that were not US citizens but were allowed into ITAR restricted areas. I believe background checks were necessary.

Overall I found the entire ITAR program rather silly and ineffective. There is nothing guaranteeing that just because someone is a US citizen that they won't sell secrets. Even with a background check there is no guarantee. Our ITAR controlled engineering area was also simply an area of cubicles with higher walls and a badge reader at the door.

I do not believe that there is any discriminatory issue in requiring US citizenship to be an employee or work in certain jobs. Citizenship is not a protected class like gender, race, etc.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
I also recently worked for a defense contractor. It was possible to get a foreigner ITAR clearance. I'm not sure what it involved, but I know we had some people that were not US citizens but were allowed into ITAR restricted areas. I believe background checks were necessary.

Overall I found the entire ITAR program rather silly and ineffective. There is nothing guaranteeing that just because someone is a US citizen that they won't sell secrets. Even with a background check there is no guarantee. Our ITAR controlled engineering area was also simply an area of cubicles with higher walls and a badge reader at the door.

I do not believe that there is any discriminatory issue in requiring US citizenship to be an employee or work in certain jobs. Citizenship is not a protected class like gender, race, etc.
There is a difference between a US person and a US citizen per the ITAR rules:

http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/Webbrfg/tsld018.htm

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F AS9100 - Validation, FAIR's, ITAR and Sub-Contracting AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
B ITAR Category Levels AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B ITAR Visitor Log Examples AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
G ITAR Registration for Metrology Laboratory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
K ITAR Visitor Documentation of Citizenship AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Does ITAR apply to Exporters only? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
J ITAR flow down to Processors (Outsourced Processes) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S ITAR Document Types and Training Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
T ITAR/EAR relationship and Flow Down to Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A How to Verify Supplier I-9 Forms for ITAR Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
R Digital Storage of ITAR Controlled Documentation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
M ITAR Requirements and Visitor Screening AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
K What should the ITAR email disclaimer look like ? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S ITAR Document Communication Options and Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
R Level of Control requirement for ITAR Component AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Icy Mountain Combining ISO9001 and ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R Small Business Manufacturer Sub-Contractor ITAR Control Program AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
J ITAR Compliance Requirements for Foreigner Visitors AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
E ITAR/EAR Implementation - Aerospace Company with no Design Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Interesting ITAR related question from our Certification Body ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
W ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) Minimum Requirements or Shalls Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
P Are Canadian Auditors prohibited from Auditing U.S. based ITAR Companies? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
S I need an ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) form for my vendors Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
D ITAR and FAA Repair Station Security Planning - Visitors IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
michellemmm Reporting a possible ITAR violation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
W Is ITAR fair game for audit during AS9100 Registration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
J Does ITAR regulate the import of Raw Materials used in Machining AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) information AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
C ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) and EAR Training Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
C ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
D ITAR/EAR and effects on commercial Heat Treating AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) - Export control procedure. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 11
1 ITAR Compliance Manual Samples Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 19
R Procedure for Controlling Transmitted Technical Data - ITAR compliance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
D PSW with waiver statement (hold harmless clause) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Retroactive waiver AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Marc Definition Waiver - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
A Salt Bath Probe Style SAT requirement Waiver per AMS 2750 Rev E Section 3.4.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L Customer Waiver in ISO9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Who needs to apply for a CLIA waiver 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
P Contract Work Quality Waiver ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
T Deviation/Waiver Requiring a Nonconformance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
Q Is AIAG PPAP section 2.1 waiver a solution? APQP and PPAP 7
D Raw Material Waiver - Is Corrective Action Required? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M TS 16949 - 8.3.4 - Customer Waiver - What is your interpretation? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
G Production Permit (aka Waiver) vs. Concession (aka Deviation) - Definitions Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
N Waiver for ISO/TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
E Non-Automotive Component PPAP Waiver APQP and PPAP 4
M SOP - Unforeseen Circumstances (Waiver) Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
R Waiver for PPAP PSW Functional Approval APQP and PPAP 3