Items used for Design Verification

Chef100

Starting to get Involved
Hi all
I have a specific question about design verification which I cannot get my head around.
If you produce items used for DV testing, is it then not correct that you need to show that the actual produced items conform to the output specification?
I am just thinking that in order to show that your output meets your input then you need to have the right starting point meaning items that have passed output spec testing.

I have been challenged several times on this approach and I am starting to question if I see it wrong.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I am having trouble imagining why I would ever want to design things without ensuring they conform to the specification. Isn't this Design Verification? Verifying the design is suitable to produce what it's expected to?

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
If you produce items used for DV testing, is it then not correct that you need to show that the actual produced items conform to the output specification?
I am just thinking that in order to show that your output meets your input then you need to have the right starting point meaning items that have passed output spec testing.
You are not wrong. Typically the first step in verifying the design is ensuring that the articles produced comply with the specified design. However, it's preferable to verify the "pure" design without resorting to any produced articles, where possible and practicable. Refer to my article in the resources section for the rationale.
I am having trouble imagining why I would ever want to design things without ensuring they conform to the specification. Isn't this Design Verification? Verifying the design is suitable to produce what it's expected to?
The question at hand involves 2 distinct layers of specification. The more basic one is the physical specification of the article to be produced (e.g. composition, dimensions), and on top of it comes the product requirements specification (functional, performance etc.). Typically, Design Verification deals with the latter, while the former is assumed/implied to already be met. This is what the OP is referring to.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
If, by "DV" you mean Design Verification, I think the answer is (wait for it) "it depends." Some aspects of DV testing do not need a fully-compliant system. We frequently have to do DV testing with covers removed (or with a non-compliant cover) or with a debug version of the software. If the non-conforming aspects don't affect the testing then it's not a concern. Ideally, yes, everything is done with production / equivalent components that are compliant; but depending on the testing, some aspects may not be an issue. (Of course, design VALIDATION is quite different.)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Documentation for items used for Design Verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K Is there an overall standard for calibration of items used in TS 16949 Certified Co. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Incoming (Receiving) Inspection for Commodity Items used in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
J Are items with a NSN considered COTS Items? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
John C. Abnet Terms- Different Items in a system ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 0
A ISO 13485 procedure change and reflect to legacy manufacture items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
NDesouza COTS Items CoC for FAI Documentation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
K IEC 62304 - Functional and performance requirements for SOUP items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
K Verify Software Architecture - supporting interfaces between items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 14
nadhar2 Classification of Action Items Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F IEC 62304 - Segregation and communication between software items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
G Reporting measurement uncertainty for custom items Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
M IEC 62304 - Develop an Architecture for the Interfaces of Software Items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
C AS9100 8.3.5.e Design and Development Outputs - Key Characteristics / Critical Items AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Supplier Scorecard, Assessment of Pass Through Items From Sub Tier Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
C Per IEC 62304, are DHF documents Configuration Items? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
J APQP Requirements - What is meant by "among other items" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Timing for Closing High FMEA RPN Items FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Polypropylene Packaging for Food items Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
J Software and Methods for Tracking CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) items US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K What technical documents need to be maintained for "manufactured for" items 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
D NQA-1 Standard Applied to Services rather than Items for Nuclear Power Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M How to identify software configuration items in a BOM Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S Interesting Medical Device Database Site (666,413 items listed) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Requirements for shipping items that fall under the Cartagena Protocol Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
N ISO 17025 clause 5.8.3 Records of Non-Conforming Test Items ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
S Not accepting Flowdowns for COTS Items AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Shelf Life Control and Identification of items that do not have Shelf Life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O Process Startup Only items in a Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
G How to manage/control critical items and key characteristics? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Q Identifying Critical Items and Key Characteristics - Product Realization Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
AnaMariaVR2 The TSA Is Now Instragramming Items They Confiscate Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 5
A Segregation of Software Items on a Medical Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
R What is the optimum number of check items should an inspector look into a product? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
K Sampling Plan for Small Lots of Single Use Items Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M Record Retention requirements for Safety Items Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M 8.2.4.2 Appearance Items - When Masters for Colour, Grain, etc are not appropriate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Always Internal Audit all Line Items of applicable FDA Regulations? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
C Are Purchase Orders required for all items? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
Q FDA Bacteriological Analytical Manual (BAM) - Health Care Items Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B PFMEA Line Items for Poka-Yoke (Mistake Proofing) and Scans FMEA and Control Plans 2
K Opportunities for Improvement - Proposed Items in Management Review Meetings Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
M Can Resell Items be sold as ISO certified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Detailed Product Images for the Off the Shelf Items Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
L What typical items do auditors bring to Opening Meetings Internal Auditing 4
B Material Review Board for non-production related items Manufacturing and Related Processes 5