IVDD 98/79/EC Measuring Function Requirements

craiglab

Involved In Discussions
I am trying to understand ?device with measuring function? in IVDD 98/79/EC Annex I.B.4. My understanding is this distinction was carried in from medical device legislation and that, in general, IVDs by their general nature have a measuring function. MEDDEV 2.1/4 on this topic once was shown applicable to 98/79/EC but the current version MEDDEV 2.1/5 no longer shows 98/79/EC as related. We had a consultant some time ago rationalize that our IVD has no measuring function using 2.1/5 even though it detects a certain chemical biomarker and has a scale reading, but I don?t think his conclusion is valid. He also excluded Annex I Essential Requirements from the list of required Annexes - how can that be, short of not knowing what he's talking about?

Any insights into this aspect of the IVDD is greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I am trying to understand ?device with measuring function? in IVDD 98/79/EC Annex I.B.4. My understanding is this distinction was carried in from medical device legislation and that, in general, IVDs by their general nature have a measuring function. MEDDEV 2.1/4 on this topic once was shown applicable to 98/79/EC but the current version MEDDEV 2.1/5 no longer shows 98/79/EC as related. We had a consultant some time ago rationalize that our IVD has no measuring function using 2.1/5 even though it detects a certain chemical biomarker and has a scale reading, but I don?t think his conclusion is valid. He also excluded Annex I Essential Requirements from the list of required Annexes - how can that be, short of not knowing what he's talking about?

Any insights into this aspect of the IVDD is greatly appreciated.
You sound right.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Re-labelling in IVDD - Re-label two products and package them as one CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
B EU: Alcohol test kits for breast milk IVDD EU Medical Device Regulations 2
JoshuaFroud The withdrawal of Lloyd’s Register MDD & IVDD Notified Body Status CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
P Performance evaluation (IVDD Annex VIII) & Design and Development Validation Studies EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational Manufacturer Incident Report (MIR) for Serious Incidents (MDR/IVDR) and Incidents (MDD/IMDD/IVDD) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
P IVDD - IFU related requirements - Type of information/statement expected EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L IVD Reagent Techncial File Review Requirements (IVDD Annex III) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
X Algeria IVDD Registration Requirements in English Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
L IVDD 98/79/EEC - Can I self declare? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Proposed Changes to the Medical Device Directive (and IVDD) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M IVDD ER 8.3 Vs. Hazard Labelling Regulations - Which outranks? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
W New harmonised standards MDD and IVDD 2012/C 262 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D IVDD RoHS Directive Compliance to 2011/65/EU RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
R No Stability Standard on latest List of Harmonized Standards IVDD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I IVDD - Software and Graphics Standards or Guidance Documents EU Medical Device Regulations 3
W New Harmonized Standards MDD and IVDD EU Medical Device Regulations 5
W EN ISO 13485:2003 harmonized to AIMD, MDD and IVDD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R ULM Measuring Pressures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Missing measuring equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Marco Bernardi MMC & LMC modifiers and CMM measuring techinques like diameter least squares and circularity or minimum/maximim diameter. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
Kuldeep Singh Measuring Function MEDDEV 2.1/5 relation with MDD 93/42/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Measuring FIM (TIR) - Two inside diameters - Conflicting readings between inspectors Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
ScottK Measuring thread flank angle on a screw Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
D ASTM C1064 Temperature Measuring Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
V Ammeter calibration - Measuring head (on pic.) problem General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Monitoring and measuring resources - Example of how section ISO 9001 7.1.5 would apply to a manufacture of software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A CE mark - Measuring Instruments Directive confusion! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
E ISO 13485 7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - Assess the Validity ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Measuring fine tubing (< 0.100") "Wall by weight" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
G Posting Measuring Equipment Accuracy for User Information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S ISO 9001 7.1.5.2 - Actions Taken When Measuring Equipment is Found to be Unfit for Use General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 - Measuring tools not in calibration system General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S Calibration - Isolated current meter - Measuring patient auxiliary leakage current Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
G Measuring customer parts on a CMM - How many decimals to report to the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 28
qualprod Complying with ISO 9001:2015 - 9.1.1 b - Monitoring, measuring, analyzing and evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Tagin Measuring supplier quality with small quantities Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
G Uncertainty of staging a short line scale standard on longer measuring machine? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
U Measuring a Golf Club Face/Grip/Shaft Rotation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Q Acceptable calibration accuracy of a 60" linear measuring device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
H Measuring Design Process Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C AS9100D 7.1.5.2 / Calibration of Employee Owned Measuring Equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Effectiveness Measuring and Efficiency Measuring In ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
johnny johnson New measuring equipment selection (Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Cleanrooms - Particle Measuring - ISO 14644 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
S IOQ protocol for a Micro-Vu measuring system - Is a PQ required? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
K ISO 13485:2016 Cl. 4.2.3 - Determine QMS Processes, Monitoring, Measuring, etc. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L Radius Measuring Tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4