I've been auditing for a CB for 18 years

I've been auditing for a CB for 18 years. The ISO 9001:2015 version of the standard in my. opion is a step backwards. It. borders on being, again in my opinion, useless and not auditable.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I've been auditing for a CB for 18 years.
I've been auditing and in working in quality since the 1980's. This is not the place to be telling people you are in some way "the source of knowledge". Your 18 years in auditing vs. my ~35 years. Now - Who has the experience?

Put your experience in your Profile here. Trying to pull rank/experience doesn't work here because many of us have much more experience than you. I will also add - I have worked in companies, as in being an employee. I would very much be interested in your complete resume. How much actual work experience do you have outside auditing? One thing I have been disgusted with over the years has been auditors who "know it all" who had little or no actual work experience on the factory floor.

My opinion is that an auditor should have at least 5 to 10 years of actual work experience, working as a company employee, in the industry they are auditing in.

Randy

Super Moderator
I've been auditing for a CB for 18 years. The ISO 9001:2015 version of the standard in my. opion is a step backwards. It. borders on being, again in my opinion, useless and not auditable.
9K15 is very auditable as long as you stay out of it and just audit.

I also misunderstood you earlier at getting out after 8 years, my bad

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I have clients in the service industry who are very grateful for the changes; the 2008 version was pretty plainly directed at manufacturing.

The 2015 version moved from "Thou shalt do xyz" into "Thou shalt do what you and your interested parties have determined is the right thing to do." Auditing without all of those "shalls" requires some imagination. People have been complaining about this for a few years, to no avail: the standard is here, we go with it or we get a different job.
:2cents:

Risky

On Holiday
Marc,
I was simply stating my opinion of the 2015 version of the standard. My 18 years as a CB auditor is an indication that I have audited other versions of the standard. I do have many, many years experience in manufacturing and service as a worker, production manager, and quality manager. Once again My comment was an opinion only and I apologize if I upset or offended you.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
@Risky - I guess I'd be curious what you find unauditable? I think the concepts behind risk-based thinking and pushing companies to think more broadly (interested parties, etc.) have merit. To the point @Jen Kirley makes, it probably challenges auditors to think more about whether something is being effective for the company rather than focusing on records (which may have indicated compliance but may not necessarily have reflected quality health.

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
Here's my opinion, for what its worth. I actually like the changes made to ISO/IATF. Its very difficult to make a requirement so vague, that it will work in any organization (pretty tough for a 3rd party auditor i would imagine). As for me, I work in auto. I like the flexibility to do what works for my organization. Meeting a requirement on paper adds no value. These new revisions have given us more opportunity to look at the requirement and figure out how to put it in place in a beneficial way.
For my internal auditors, i tell them you just have to leave your opinion out of it. If its effective, and it meets the intent of the standard, then that's it. Is there a finding, do you have a requirement and objective evidence that it isn't being fulfilled? Every organization will not be able to comply to the requirements in the same way. That's impossible. So do we meet all requirements in the same way our 3rd party auditor would? Most likely not. Do we meet them in a way that is effective for our organization? I think so. Can we improve? Absolutely. If we are given the room to comply in a way that adds value, and makes our interested parties happy, isn't that what its all about at the end of the day?

Audit Coordinator

Involved In Discussions
I would concur as it has become much more vague but I am the type of auditor that prefers cut and dried for the beginning of the auditing journey. The feel free to venture off trail if the "spirit moves", within reason, of course.

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
I would concur as it has become much more vague but I am the type of auditor that prefers cut and dried for the beginning of the auditing journey. The feel free to venture off trail if the "spirit moves", within reason, of course.
Ah, wouldn't it be simple if it was cut and dry? But alas, that's not possible.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kedarg6500 Auditing Work Stations where Poka Yoke has been done - What to look for? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
Y We found out we have been using a equipment without validation for past 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
M Has anyone has been through an MDR audit? (3/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
V What plans have been put in place to achieve quality objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Richard Regalado ISO 22301:2019 has been published - Nov 2019 Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 0
D Validation of existing equipment - I have been asked to write a quality assessment for equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
A Would an MRP system that has been in use for over 10 years require validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Has an amended version of IEC 60601-1-6 TRF been released for use in conjunction with IEC62366-1:2015? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 0
planB ISO 10993-1:2018 has just been published Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
H I've been asked to look for PPAP Classes Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
howste AS9110 Rev C has been released and is available for purchase - November 2016 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
howste AS9120 Rev B has been released and is available for purchase - November 2016 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
V Deleting Risks if a particular Risk has been Eliminated ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
Marc AS9101 Rev F has been released and is available for purchase - October 2016 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M SAE-QQ-A-250/11A has been superseded by SAE-AMS-4027N AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T Has anyone been through the ISO 14001:2015 process? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 12
Marco Bernardi Johnson transformation: The PPU has been got even if USL not? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
G How to develop a strategy to eliminate an indicator who has been 0 forever? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
O Requirement to audit locations which have been relocated Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
V How many times the quality agreement has been invoked? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Does anyone know why the TC 176 website has been hijacked by CSA? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
V Our Registrar has been Suspended AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
L Has ISO 9001:2015 been released as of 10 April 2014? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M List of NB's which have been Denotified EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M EN ISO 60601-2-22:2013 hasn't been published in OJEU yet Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
F UMDNS and GMDN Codes - When a Preferred Term has been Retired Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
G Sampling Question - Random Sample of 100 pcs and 11 pcs. have been rejected Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 30
F QMS has not been maintained. How do we stay certified to ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
P ASTM Standard, Stainless Steel angle that has been rejected because it is not ?square Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Ajit Basrur On Henry Ford's 150th Birthday, His Greatest Insight Has Been Tragically Forgotten Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
M Inventory Parts Have Been Revised Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
S BS 11000 has been released as ISO 44001 (March 2017) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
M What is the best question you have ever been asked? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
insect warfare New R2:2013 (Responsible Recycling) Standard has been Released Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
T Anybody been hurt by a flying triangular flapjack? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
Q Has the update to MDD 93/42/EEC been released yet? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
Crusader Where have I been? LOL! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
B How has FMEA and QFD been adapted for Consumer Goods? APQP and PPAP 9
T Has NB-MED 2.5.2-Rec 2 Version 8 been withdrawn? EU Medical Device Regulations 10
A PPAP Sample Requirement - Using Product which has been Re-Worked APQP and PPAP 6
S EU Medical Devices (Amendment) Regulations 2012 have been published EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Frank T. How could this Hole Diameter and True Position problem have been Detected & Prevented Nonconformance and Corrective Action 27
T External Communications - Should this have been raised as a Minor Non-Conformance? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
J Information on IEC 60601-2-101 for IVDs - Has it been superseded? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
P Has VX3 127-131 has been replaced by a BAEP spec? BAE Specs - VX3 128 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Verifying Documents have been removed or destroyed once the Retention Period expires ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
P HR knows I'm looking and that I've been applying for jobs Career and Occupation Discussions 23
RoxaneB Just been published! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 23
Hershal Travel! Where have you been of late? What did you see? What do you think? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 15
ScottK The Internet has been a blessing and a curse for Job Hunters Career and Occupation Discussions 8