Job Descriptions - Are job descriptions a requirement of ISO 9001:2008?

Z

Zinger

Are job descriptions a requirement of ISO 9001:2008? I believe it may fall under Section 6.2.2 of the standard depending on one's interpretation. Can
anyone clarify this for me?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Job Descriptions

Are job descriptions a requirement of ISO 9001:2008? I believe it may fall under Section 6.2.2 of the standard depending on one's interpretation. Can

No interpretation needed....ISO9001 does not require job descriptions. Although many find them helpful for complying with much of section 6.

Do a search for "job description" and you'll find some interesting debate.

T

trainerbob

I agree - Job Descriptions are not a requirement for 9001-2008. They may sometimes be useful for organizations.

D

Duke Okes

Although not required, they are often used to support 5.4.2 and 6.2, as well as other HR needs.

K

Ka Pilo

Like what others said a job description is not a requirement of ISO 9001. However, a well-written job description can be a useful tool to aid in the communication between management and employees.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
:) OK. So let us not call it a job description. So we have nothing now.
Lets go back to the standard iso 9001:2008.
At 5.5.1 you will see this small sentence ~~~
5.5.1 Responsibility and authority
Top management shall ensure that responsibilities and authorities are defined and communicated within the organization.

This is a planning aspect where the top management first defines the R and A and then communicates that within the organization.
Also further in the standard at 5.5.3, you will see this simple sentence ~~~
5.5.3 Internal communication
Top management shall ensure that appropriate communication processes are established within the organization and that communication takes place regarding the effectiveness of the quality management system.

The organization will have to decide how best this can be done to demonstrate both defining and communicating within the organization.
Perhaps by a document ... ? aaaah yes.
A little earlier in the standard at 4.2.1 d) this is said ~~~
The quality management system documentation shall include:
d) documents, including records, determined by the organization to be necessary to ensure the effective planning, operation and control of its processes.

You can call this by any name .... also as Job Description. :)

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

Zinger,

No, why duplicate the procedures? A golden rule in system development is to avoid duplication. Say it once and that is it. Imagine maintaining a system that states the same thing more than once. :bonk:

It is better to have a procedure describing who has the power to decide and who does what for a process-team's success in fulfilling a process objective, than a collection of job descriptions that may overlap and leave gaps in authority and responsibility. :confused:

Job Specifications are however very useful for informing the recruiting process on the attributes, skills and knowledge (ASK) required for competence. Skills and knowledge may come from training but attributes can only come from getting the right person. ASK may be derived from the relevent procedures and HR should refuse to seek applicants until they have ASK for the vacant job. :whip:

John

Top Bottom