Job Descriptions - Is a yearly review of job descriptions required by ISO 9001?

T

tomjess

I have heard on the grapevine that job descriptions need to addressed or looked at once a year, is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Randy

Super Moderator
No, not hardly.

I'd cut the grapevine down if that's the kind of information you're getting.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Is the question does ISO 9001 or other 'standard' require a yearly review of job descriptions? Just wanting to clarify what we're talking about here.

T

tomjess

Yes, does ISO 9001 or other 'standard' require a yearly review of job descriptions?

P

Pataha

To me job descriptions equate to training records. I believe training records are covered by ISO 9000:2000. I know they are covered under ISO 13485:2003.

Standards aside, from a business point of view it is always good to review the job descriptions of each employee. I do this during the annual review. I have the supervisor track the training records of everyone under them at least once a quarter.

Plus, for the legalist that you are always saddled with, don't forget the sentence - "Other duties/task as assigned"

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I echo my two brethren - no one in ANY of the Standards dictates your frequency of reviewing job descriptions. No one even has the right to ask you that question.

Dealing with "grapevines:"
There are lots of reasons folks want to tell each other something they label as "heads up" or "FYI." Their motives can be friendly or nefarious or just from plain fear of being lonely.

Dealing with urban legends, grapevines, and other rumors is relatively easy. You ask the rumor monger how you can go about confirming the information he gives you.
  1. If he says it's secret, file that under "probably not true."
  2. If he says it came from some official at abc organization, ask him how to contact that person for confirmation. (Odds are the contact information won't pan out.)
  3. If he then goes on to rant about what a terrible thing it is (my personal favorite is the recurring rumor the US Government will ban the use of pennies) - ask yourself "If it IS so terrible, what does this guy want me to do about it? Why would anyone do this terrible thing?" (sometimes it's just because they can - price gouging, laws abridging human rights, cancellation of pensions, etc.) Then ask the guy telling you all this terrible stuff what HE, personally, is going to do about it. If he is just going to tell more people - that's the same as doing nothing - tell him thanks and forget it AND him - you'll never benefit from a fool, even a well-meaning one.
If you neglect all this advice, I have some friends in Nigeria who are willing to give you 40% of $163 million USD that their bureaucrat uncle (now dead from assassination) "liberated" from oil diverted from a pipeline. They personally can't go after the money because the current regime is watching them (of course, the current regime is too stupid and unsophisticated to monitor their email), but they will be glad to have the bank wire the money directly to your account. Just send them your bank account number by return email. I am willing to pass this deal on to you because I am already so rich from my deals with Ferdinand Marcos that I am willing to see that a truly deserving person like you gets a little reward.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) ;) ;)

Wes Bucey said:
I echo my two brethren - no one in ANY of the Standards dictates your frequency of reviewing job description.
And another echo from over here... There may however be such a requirement in your procedures? If so, the situation changes dramatically.

/Claes

Randy

Super Moderator
tomjess said:
Yes, does ISO 9001 or other 'standard' require a yearly review of job descriptions?

Do yourself a favor and read ISO 9001 if you haven't done so already and decide for yourself.

I

IEGeek - 2006

My boss was believing the same thing, that reviews were required yearly. She collaborated them with yearly increases. When I told her that reviews were not required, however they are probably a good idea, she jumped on board. So yearly increases are out. People were a bit upset, however now they realize they are getting paid on merit, not COLA, so they are working smarter.

There seems to be a lot of folks out there that think they are required by ISO, I wonder where that stems from? An Urban Legend? A folk tale?

Yearly reviews are a good idea, from a management standpoint and an employee standpoint. I prefer to conduct job descriptions reviews yearly, performance reviews quarterly, salary increases when appropriate. I like the job descr. review. folks really get into writing about what they have actually done throughout the past year. I identified a gal, who was spending more time doing document control than she was inspecting parts, so now she is a Quality Clerk, instead of an inspector.

Just some thoughts....

Top Bottom