Job Descriptions - Using "or equivalent" - ISO9001

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
My colleague in another facility just sent the following message:

‘equivalent’ should not be used anywhere as to qualification and requirements. The ISO guideline says as follows:

‘If job descriptions are used to define competence requirements, they may contain the expression “or equivalent.” To define every possible scenario that may be accepted as “equivalent” would be impossible. Therefore, the fact must be established that the organization has set parameters for making such a determination’.
what he's referring to is "High School Diploma or equivalent" in a number of our job descriptions.

The "ISO guideline" he refers to is specifically from DNV's Certification Interpretation book as DNV is his registrar. I saw nothing about it in the ISO9004 document.

What do you all think (especially the DNV people here)?

I disagree to some extent, especially in what my colleague is referring to, as I've alwasy seen it as common practice.
I think this is nitpicking.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Job Descriptions and ISO9001... using "or equivalent"

Discordian said:
My colleague in another facility just sent the following message:
what he's referring to is "High School Diploma or equivalent" in a number of our job descriptions.

The "ISO guideline" he refers to is specifically from DNV's Certification Interpretation book as DNV is his registrar. I saw nothing about it in the ISO9004 document.

What do you all think (especially the DNV people here)?

I disagree to some extent, especially in what my colleague is referring to, as I've alwasy seen it as common practice.
I think this is nitpicking.
We got rid of "equivalent" when we transitioned from QS to ISO 9001. We define education required and the competencies required on our forms. As I recall, we could not be vague or dodge around this at all and "equivalent" was too vague. We have UL for our registrar. :2cents:

D

Duke Okes

I agree that trying to define all the potential mixes of "equivalent" in advance would be difficult and not a good use of time. I would instead allow the manager who is doing the hiring to make the decision at the time of hire. After all, in some cases you have to adapt to what is available. If the manager documents why they hired a particular person, and that they considered this 'equivalent' or sufficient, then that's their decision (and not the registrar auditors ... how many of them could actually run a business???). Consider job descriptions as a starting point for the hiring process.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

Duke Okes said:
I agree that trying to define all the potential mixes of "equivalent" in advance would be difficult and not a good use of time. I would instead allow the manager who is doing the hiring to make the decision at the time of hire. After all, in some cases you have to adapt to what is available. If the manager documents why they hired a particular person, and that they considered this 'equivalent' or sufficient, then that's their decision (and not the registrar auditors ... how many of them could actually run a business???). Consider job descriptions as a starting point for the hiring process.
I think Duke is on the right trail here. Too many organizations paint themselves into a corner by making requirements so specific they lose efficiency by trying to find products, services, or people to fit the specific criteria which may not have been so necessary in hindsight.

Other organizations are so vague and loose, they find a platoon of jailhouse lawyers lined up trying to force the organizaton to accept an "equivalent" that simply won't fit the organization's REAL needs, merely because there is no "final decision" authority vested in someone or some department to make a distinction between "equivalents."

If you thinkabout education requirements, use a FMEA (Failure Mode & Effects Analysis) to consider whether ALL schools are "equivalent"

The solution may be to develop an arbitrary test with the skills and knowledge necessary to do a job and have candidates take and pass the exam before proceeding further with their candidacies, regardless of education level or school where it was achieved.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator

Wes Bucey said:
I think Duke is on the right trail here. Too many organizations paint themselves into a corner by making requirements so specific they lose efficiency by trying to find products, services, or people to fit the specific criteria which may not have been so necessary in hindsight.

Other organizations are so vague and loose, they find a platoon of jailhouse lawyers lined up trying to force the organizaton to accept an "equivalent" that simply won't fit the organization's REAL needs, merely because there is no "final decision" authority vested in someone or some department to make a distinction between "equivalents."

If you thinkabout education requirements, use a FMEA (Failure Mode & Effects Analysis) to consider whether ALL schools are "equivalent"

The solution may be to develop an arbitrary test with the skills and knowledge necessary to do a job and have candidates take and pass the exam before proceeding further with their candidacies, regardless of education level or school where it was achieved.
Ah-HA!
and here is the rest of the paragraph from the DNV interpretation that my colleague left out...

"The parameters may be quantitative, such as detailing the number of years of experience in lieu of a formal education. Alternatively, the decision may be based on an interview process with determination made by the interviewer. Whatever the process, the organization must define the methods used to determine what is considered to be equivalent".

Can't pull the wool over the eyes of you guys!

So if I responded that as part of the hiring procedure the interviewer may determine the bearing of any "or equivalent" issues, it should be covered?

Still - I think it's nitpicky in some cases.
Like "High Scool Diploma or equivalent" That's just boilerplate.
That's a lot easier to write than High School Diploma, or GED, or X years of experience, or whatever they call a high school diploma in various foreign contries.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
Q Have you ever "excluded" certain job descriptions from the QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
I ISO 17025 Job Descriptions - People who have mutiple roles ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
H Job Descriptions to comply with ISO Standards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
0 Quality Jobs, Titles and Job Descriptions Career and Occupation Discussions 13
S Job Descriptions for a two-man company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
JodiB Structure and Content of Job Descriptions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
drgnrider Job descriptions (4.4.1): Management Rep, Document Author, Document Approver Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 13
S Minor Nonconformity for Lack of Job Descriptions in ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 62
J Organization Chart and Job Descriptions - Responsibilities within a Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2 - Training Records, a Job Skills Matrix and Job Descriptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
N Changing Document Control Identification of Job Descriptions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
B Registered Medical Device Manufacturer - Are documented job descriptions required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Z Job Descriptions - Multiple Designation of Single Personnel General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Are Job Descriptions and Organizational Charts Controlled Documents? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
Z Job Descriptions - Are job descriptions a requirement of ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Process Owner vs. Job Descriptions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
K Job Descriptions - Should employees sign their job descriptions? Why or why not? Career and Occupation Discussions 31
B Approved Job Descriptions under Revision Control - Required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
N Should Employees be given Job Descriptions? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 43
F Where should job descriptions be housed (located)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J Job Descriptions - Records needed as evidence of the training? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
samer What are your references and standards in writing Job Descriptions? Career and Occupation Discussions 13
A Web site for job descriptions and skills requirements Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
A Job Descriptions - Is there a specific format required for job descriptions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
W QA, QC and Supplier Quality Job descriptions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Job Descriptions - Is a yearly review of job descriptions required by ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
I Job Descriptions - What do you really do? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
RoxaneB Job Descriptions for Quality Department functions Wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T How many job descriptions include support and maintenance of your QMS? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
D Do we need Job Descriptions for Internal Auditors Internal Auditing 23
A Is there a ISO 9001:2000 Requirement for Job descriptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M TS 16949 and its HR Implications - Job Descriptions? Competencies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T ISO 9001 Job Descriptions and Other Templates / Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 55
M Job Descriptions Under ISO 14001 - Section 4.4.1 Structure and Responsibility Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
T Job Descriptions - QC/QA Inspector or Senior Inspector vs. a QC/QA "Technician" Career and Occupation Discussions 7
S Trying to find examples of job descriptions for Quality Assurance functions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N QS Training - Trying to tie training in with job descriptions Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
N QS Training - Am trying to tie training in with job descriptions QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
D HR's Job Descriptions - Should Employees be able to see them? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
M Job Descriptions - Employees complaining that job descriptions are not available QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
BeaBea Organizational Charts and Job Titles Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
JAMESH Job Safety - Lockout/Tagout and Respiratory Protocols Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
Marc Job Opening - 1-4-2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
M Do I Expect Too Much of Job Candidates? Career and Occupation Discussions 33
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0