Job travelers through a machine shop

We are a small machining company going for our AS9100 accreditation and we receive jobs that vary greatly in size and diameter. Usually these can be quite specialized and we may never make the parts again. The issue I have is when we need to split the parts on the shop floor with job travelers. We have tried many different ways of attaching labels etc. with wire, sticking them on etc. and nothing works. We then thought of putting parts into boxes and then the job traveler can sit in with each part, but because we have some large, some small etc. this could become a very expensive process and we are also pushed for space to store all these different containers. We then thought what if at each machine we put a plastic document holder and the job travelers sit in there until the parts move to the next machine (and in the meantime if the person wants to start the second machine process he can take e.g. 2 parts and 2 job travelers back to his machine and document holder). I am wondering if the job travelers have to be actually on the parts or if this will be acceptable?

Sounds basic I know but struggling with this one.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
An age old problem....
There is a requirement for everything to be traceable. How it's done is up to the individual company.

Your idea is good for putting the travelers at the machines, but how do you identify the actual components? Label? Barcode? Sticky thing? Box?

We used to keep the traveler in the container with the items at all times (or the components in the bag with the traveler if they were small enough). If this was not possible, then they would be clearly marked with tags, labels or whatever was suitable. Raw material was engraved or stamped.

I think the phrase we used in our procedure was "All items will be marked with the works order number at all times". No more descriptive than that, the actual method used relied on common sense.

When visiting suppliers, as long as they can demonstrate a clear link between the metal and paper, I'm happy. :)

How to make the link between which parts go with which traveler, is up to you. (But beware of similar parts..........)

Cheers
Paul

JTM

Registered
Just wanted to say thank you for this information! It was very helpful and much appreciated! We are re-vamping and making some serious upgrades to our small company, and this ASO ISO stuff can be a bit confusing although it seems as if it should be quite simple! :lol:

Have a great evening and thanks again for this templates! :thanks:
-Amanda

@Samson555,

I, too, work for a small manufacturing company - one that specializes in manufacturing and distributing precision hole-making tools (punches, drills, etc.) - and we maintain traceability by labeling our raw material and zip-tying our Job Travelers (which are inserted into sleeve protectors) to our bundle or stick of raw material. The raw material lot number is also written on the Job Traveler. Once the material is machined, the parts are put onto fixtures and the sleeved Job Travelers are transferred from work station to work station with the product.

Also, we, too, split Job Travelers for a number of reasons (expediting partial orders, changing operators, changing machines, etc.) and we maintain traceability the same way. The differences: we photocopy the original JT and assign "A" and "B" to the end of the original lot number as an indicator to our operators, inspectors, and shippers that there are two partials. We also apply labels to both JTs to indicate the status of the job (remain open or complete/close).

I hope this helps or you find a solution to your problem.

:bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Job Travelers questions - unsigned operations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 41
H AS9100 - Accountability for Job Travelers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
S RFQ's and job tickets/travelers - Seeking Example of forms and process flow Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
XRAY_3121 New Job with Wholesale Distributor Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
Marc Job Opportunity - Engineering Technician - Suspense 23 Sept 2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
N Looking to Impress - New Job - Advice, Thoughts, Comments Welcome Career and Occupation Discussions 15
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
BeaBea Organizational Charts and Job Titles Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 11
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
JAMESH Job Safety - Lockout/Tagout and Respiratory Protocols Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Do I Expect Too Much of Job Candidates? Career and Occupation Discussions 33
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Sidney Vianna Are the Accreditation Bodies doing their job? Keeping CB's accountable Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I ISO 9001:2015 - On the Job Training and Records Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Job interview - So I have to do a presentation on PPAP APQP and PPAP 16
Marc Posting Job Openings - Read Me Please - 27 January 2019 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
K Assigning the Correct Procedures Applicable to Job Titles General Auditing Discussions 15
W Job Card/Router sign off - Want to go paperless AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Is management representative a temporary post or a job title Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
Q Have you ever "excluded" certain job descriptions from the QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
C IATF 16949 Cl 8.5.1.3 - Verification of job set up IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D How do you use statistics in your job Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Sam Lazzara Notified Body CE Project Manager - Worst job ever? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Job Titles referenced in Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
Marc How did you "get" a full-time job? (A 2017 discussion) Career and Occupation Discussions 11
M Apply for a job when no opening is posted? Career and Occupation Discussions 64
M AS9100D excluding Design and Development - Small Job Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
A Splitting Paper Routing Job Worksheets AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
N I updated my Job Description - Critiques Appreciated Career and Occupation Discussions 22
L South of England - experienced Auditor / QMS looking for a new job Career and Occupation Discussions 1
I ISO 17025 Job Descriptions - People who have mutiple roles ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
A Best Method of Auditing an Installation Process at a client job-site ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H Job Interview Question - Faulty machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
M Taking on a job outside of our ISO Scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
X Question about Job Documentation Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
H Job Descriptions to comply with ISO Standards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Suggestions for job interview regarding CCD's (Charge Coupled Device) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
O New Job 1 Month from Recertification Audit - Missing Documents, no Internal Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Z Control of Job Aid Videos Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
R Gage Identification Methods in a Job Shop Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
P Leadership Standards - New job as Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
S Calibration Engineer and Calibration Technician Job Interview Questions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Should the CEO Need a Job Description? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10