Johnson transformation: The PPU has been got even if USL not?

Hi,

I got an unexpected situation today with this analysis:
a transformated distribution with the Johnson method gave me the PPU value even if the USL value cannot be obtained, due to a negative Ln.
How can Minitab calculate the PPU if no USL has been transformed?
As attachment the graphical result and the data collection (it's a circularity dimension, so geometric, with the boundary limit below zero).

30 sample values of first new ring production:

0,015 0,04 0,023 0,037 0,035 0,037 0,037 0,029 0,038 0,032 0,031 0,039 0,038 0,032 0,033 0,031 0,025 0,031 0,021 0,04 0,029 0,038 0,038 0,018 0,039 0,025 0,035 0,03 0,036 0,04

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Recalculate it with the target as 0, boundary 0, no LSL. See attached analysis. The variation is too far from 0 to be beta. The PPU is calculating the "distance from the spec", which is kind of a waste, since the point of Ppk is to see if the variation is centered within the specification, and you don't want to be centered here.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sorry Bob, but I didn't understand what you mean.
Specially about "The variation is too far from 0 to be beta" and the distribution centering taht I could not want to be.
Could you explain it with easier concepts and with not so much implicit considerations, please?
I'm a little bit newby.......
Thank you.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
This animation may help show how as the beta distribution approached the hard limit (0 in this case) it "smashes" into a skewed distribution. The further away it gets the more it acts like a normal distribution - in fact curve fitting may assign normal to it the worse it is. In this case 0 is the target or optimum value - not a central value as it is for a normally distributed variation within a bilateral tolerance. This is key to the whole point of a Ppk calculation - its is generally used to determine of the distribution is not only within specification (Pp), but also centered (Ppk).

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Johnson Transformation in Minitab - How upper & lower spec limits are recalculated Using Minitab Software 1
H Specification Limits outside of Johnson Transformation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
P Data Analysis - Johnson Transformation/Weibull Distribution/Capability Analysis Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
M Using the Johnson Transformation in Minitab Six Sigma 1
Q Johnson Transformation Tool - Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
D Johnson's Transformation - Minitab 14 - How can I find out Ppk - Non-normal Distribu? Using Minitab Software 9
S Johnson's Transformation Distribution Model Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
V One auditor for ISO 9001 & ISO 17025....AND Perry Johnson (PJI&PJLA) ISO 17025 related Discussions 12
Q Johnson & Johnson employee anyone? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
T Johnson Thread View System - Measures many characteristics on a thread plug gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
R SAE AS8879 Interpretation - Using a Johnson Thread Gaging System Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
B Quality Stand Down form - Part of a PPAP submission to Johnson Controls Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
Randy PJR (Perry Johnson) Reputation - What is it? Is it deserved? Registrars and Notified Bodies 78
B Perry Johnson Registrars - TS 16949 Registrar Qualification Registrars and Notified Bodies 40
R Auditor Certification Requirements for Registrars - Perry Johnson de Mexico General Auditing Discussions 3
L Lean Transformation - How do you get Senior Leadership engaged Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 6
D Transformation of Data Normality Failed Using Minitab Software 11
I Finding optimum transformation equation for two sets of data Using Minitab Software 15
L Cpk after Data Transformation - How to Transform LCL /UCL to get Capability Report Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
J Lean Transformation Project - Distribution centre in Europe Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
P Taguchi Logit Transformation in Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
F Sigma Level and Capability - What are Ppu, Ppl, Sigma Level, Sigma Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8