Johnson transformation: The PPU has been got even if USL not?

Marco Bernardi

Mark_Navigator
Hi,

I got an unexpected situation today with this analysis:
a transformated distribution with the Johnson method gave me the PPU value even if the USL value cannot be obtained, due to a negative Ln.
How can Minitab calculate the PPU if no USL has been transformed?
As attachment the graphical result and the data collection (it's a circularity dimension, so geometric, with the boundary limit below zero).

30 sample values of first new ring production:

0,015 0,04 0,023 0,037 0,035 0,037 0,037 0,029 0,038 0,032 0,031 0,039 0,038 0,032 0,033 0,031 0,025 0,031 0,021 0,04 0,029 0,038 0,038 0,018 0,039 0,025 0,035 0,03 0,036 0,04

Attachments

• Johnson transformation with PPU and no USL.jpg
    Johnson transformation with PPU and no USL.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 331

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Recalculate it with the target as 0, boundary 0, no LSL. See attached analysis. The variation is too far from 0 to be beta. The PPU is calculating the "distance from the spec", which is kind of a waste, since the point of Ppk is to see if the variation is centered within the specification, and you don't want to be centered here.

Attachments

• cap circ.docx
    294.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Marco Bernardi

Mark_Navigator
Sorry Bob, but I didn't understand what you mean.
Specially about "The variation is too far from 0 to be beta" and the distribution centering taht I could not want to be.
Could you explain it with easier concepts and with not so much implicit considerations, please?
I'm a little bit newby.......
Thank you.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
This animation may help show how as the beta distribution approached the hard limit (0 in this case) it "smashes" into a skewed distribution. The further away it gets the more it acts like a normal distribution - in fact curve fitting may assign normal to it the worse it is. In this case 0 is the target or optimum value - not a central value as it is for a normally distributed variation within a bilateral tolerance. This is key to the whole point of a Ppk calculation - its is generally used to determine of the distribution is not only within specification (Pp), but also centered (Ppk).

Attachments

• distributions.pdf
    81 KB · Views: 147
Top Bottom