Jumpstarting a Failed System

E

energy

As Promised, betcha couldn’t wait.

Here goes. The deal with the new Company President falls through. Tainted goods-long story. Forget it. The existing CEO decides to come to work everyday on time until quitting time. His Palm Pilot is attached to his hand. Meetings, meetings and more meetings. The theme? ISO. Doesn’t matter whether it’s 9000-2001, 9002-2003, he is adamant about obtaining the badge. Every meeting I am asked to give a little speech. Energy Benenergy is driving this effort and he has my full support. Yippee. Right? Uh Uh. I attended three meetings so that he could demonstrate that we do have goals and objectives. 4 ½ hours of talking about hits and misses on leads for new work. Sales –won and lost. They call it a batting average. Those numbers mean something to them. Well they should lest we be finding another line of work. I noticed one number that was a job number for a Customer we had already shipped to. “Why is that there?” “Well, we had issues.” “What issues?” The story was 50% the customer’s fault, 50% ours. We know, as a company that is was a design/band aid issue, on our part. I told them “That’s what ISO is about”. Reporting problems with the Customer and performing Corrective/Preventive Action. “Huh?” I no longer have to attend those meetings.

Every meeting begins with him putting his hand to his ear like he is hearing something. “You know what that is folks?” That’s the beat you are going to hear from me everyday. It’s ISO,ISO,ISO….can you hear it?” To me, it’s a positive sign as long as we take the advice, collectively, that has been attained here in the Cove. He wants to know what happening amongst other companies and how are they dealing with it. Since becoming a member, I have downloaded valuable references, including what is in the Premium Files and distributed it to all members of the Steering Committee. They misplaced or ignored it. Not one person can produce a reference document that was given them. keep in mind that they weren't just handed a pile of paper. When a topic came up, I had already visited the Cove in preparation and distributed relevant information, only. King Rat, me, reminded them all that everything the CEO has asked for has been distributed, their response? “Well, you always give us too much paperwork and we don’t know what is good and what is bad. Am in this business to give you “bad” paperwork, you sniveling, whining, dirt bag?” I’m sorry; my fingers lost their cool.

This is an on-going saga, like, I think, much of you, but I wanted you get a flavor of what Energy’s day is like and, perhaps, a reason for being snippety from time to time. I will close by saying, “The Cove has made me everything I am today”. Good and bad! :vfunny:
I made it a new thread because I feel that I'm not the only one who as experienced this kind of set back in trying to achieve their goals or what is expected of them. So, let's not drag another topic of track and give this one a go. If you have experienced a similar experience please post it. If you have walked the walk, talk the talk.
:bonk: :ko: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Ah! Do it or it's your :ca: huh? Top management involvement can be as much of a problem as it is a help...

E

energy

In the way

Yes, indeed. I would much prefer the authority to implement rather than a tag team match. When others start making suggestions which are way off the target, he says "that makes sense, don't it?" Then I am on the defensive as to why it's not what is required. From identifying measuring instruments that will need calibration to establishing goals and objectives. Everybody is now an expert. The big guy doesn't know so it's like a tennis match with him in the middle. Quick example, Engineering honcho has told us that design is completed. I asked where is it? All the information is contained in the Project Execution Flow Chart. maybe it does and I'm too stupid to see it. I will post it Monday for inputs. I don't see it passing muster. Hey, maybe it is me. With the amount of talent among the members, I'll know quickly.

Deep Sea fishing on Mother's day. Cold and rainy day expected.

Randy

Super Moderator
Time to perform C&P on the management team with a little continual improvement (fresh blood);)

J

JRKH

You're Not Alone...

Can't say I have any real horror stories, but your note about engineering's paperwork rings a bell. Getting the feeback can be like pulling teeth from an alligator with your bare hands in the middle of the swamp.

Just as a suggestion. Does the ASQ in your area have an audit consortium? If so you can propose to have them come in for mock audits. I believe they do this for free so the CEO should like it. Let the "outside auditors" help to back you up.

James

E

energy

Re: You're Not Alone...

JRKH said:

Just as a suggestion. Does the ASQ in your area have an audit consortium? If so you can propose to have them come in for mock audits. I believe they do this for free so the CEO should like it. Let the "outside auditors" help to back you up.

James

James,

What a great idea.:bigwave: As a new ASQ member, I may want to attend a meeting, instead of fishing. My concern, as usual, is that I would now have auditors defining our system. I could deal with a registrar auditor because, hopefully, we will have passed a Pre-Registration Audit and we would not be miles apart on issues. If I could arrange it so that they make observations on an informational basis only, it's worth a shot. No arguments. Just comments. I guess we could discuss the ground rules prior to their coming here. Even if they charge for it, we would provide lunch, it couldn't be that much. Great suggestion.
:ko: :smokin:

J

JRKH

Re: Re: You're Not Alone...

energy said:

James,

What a great idea.:bigwave: As a new ASQ member, I may want to attend a meeting, instead of fishing. My concern, as usual, is that I would now have auditors defining our system. I could deal with a registrar auditor because, hopefully, we will have passed a Pre-Registration Audit and we would not be miles apart on issues. If I could arrange it so that they make observations on an informational basis only, it's worth a shot. No arguments. Just comments. I guess we could discuss the ground rules prior to their coming here. Even if they charge for it, we would provide lunch, it couldn't be that much. Great suggestion.
:ko: :smokin:
Energy,
The audit consortium is designed to let people get audit hours under their belt while they so they can get their RAB certification. I know down here in Cinci they do not charge. They conduct it just like a regular audit. But you can get the feed back from them on what looks good and what doesn't.
Thought it my give you a lever (or club) with the big boss and all the little bosses.

James:bigwave:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
energy said:
Not one person can produce a reference document that was given them. keep in mind that they weren't just handed a pile of paper. When a topic came up, I had already visited the Cove in preparation and distributed relevant information, only. King Rat, me, reminded them all that everything the CEO has asked for has been distributed, their response? “Well, you always give us too much paperwork and we don’t know what is good and what is bad. I made it a new thread because I feel that I'm not the only one who as experienced this kind of set back in trying to achieve their goals or what is expected of them. So, let's not drag another topic of track and give this one a go. If you have experienced a similar experience please post it. If you have walked the walk, talk the talk.
So many stories, so little time! How about a quick one from last week? About 4 weeks ago our new Dir. Of Sales (supposedly very familiar with, and a supporter of, ISO, or so he said) asked for a few minor changes to the Contract Review procedures. No problem, I made the changes, he signed off on them, and all is wonderful. NOT!

Last week we get samples into the lab for a product that does not exist!! Huh?? How the h*ll did we take an order for THIS I wonder? Seems that the Dir. Of Sales just decided unilaterally that contract review was too much trouble and we weren’t gonna do that anymore!!!! At least not as per the procedures he approved and helped write. And he didn’t feel this required notifying anyone or any discussion, either! He decided he’ll do it on his own. Trouble is, he doesn’t have anywhere near the knowledge required. Not even close. I asked him what the spec’s. are for this product that does not formally exist and he said he didn’t know, and he didn’t know that it didn’t exist. (!!!???) After a short “discussion” with me he said he now understood the importance of following the procedure!!! Am I confident of that? Hah! I wouldn’t bet $1 of YOUR money on that one! But the owners love this guy (why I’ll never know) so he feels very secure in whatever he does. Me? I’m just trying to survive personally without letting everything go to h*ll in the proverbial handbasket.

I feel for you, Energy. Since misery loves company, this thread should make many people realize they aren’t alone. Commiserating might help us to release some stress and get some chuckles at the same time. Thanks for starting it! There should be no shortage of material!

Mike S.

D

db

Instead of fishing?

energy:

What a great idea. As a new ASQ member, I may want to attend a meeting, instead of fishing.

ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!!! :confused:

If you really want input...... take some ASQ folks fishing with you! :smokin:

T

tarheel

Re: Re: Jumpstarting a failed system

Amen, I had a sales guy who would take orders for parts that he knew we needed to build equipment to make, and give lead times of 2 weeks. :bonk: He didn't care, he made his numbers and we didn't get the parts, it was my fault. The crazy part was my boss agreed with him. To **** with that little item called quality planning. I wonder if they do things like that in aerospace. Makes you wonder if you ever want to fly again.

Top Bottom