Just Changed Jobs - Ask me anything

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Just as the title says - ask me anything about the process of changing jobs I just went through.

I want to share my experience in this go 'round of job searching. I thought of writing a narrative but, since I'm starting a new job and I'm pretty busy, I'll approach it in this manner.

So ask away. I can talk about reasons I moved on, the search itself and resources I used, rectuiters, how I focused on what I wanted, stresses and frustrations I experienced, other companies I interviewed with, etc.

My Background - 20 years of experience in QA, Continual Improvement, Project Management, and Regulatory Affairs (OSHA, ISO, FDA, CE Marking all included) based on a degree in Industrial Engineering.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Congratulations Scott,
I wonder how many of us are actively searching while we are in our present jobs? It might make a good poll. It would indicate what level of dissatisfaction there is and maybe shed some light on the whys.

Moncia

Quite Involved in Discussions
Congratulations.
TO get job right now it is pretty amazing. I have friends who have been looking for 3 some years now and still no luck.
How did you do that. I know they go through recruiters, trade shows and nothing. Both have great experience in their fields, research, but nothing.

Any advice for newbie to the whole quality business. How to address lack of years of experience???

Good luck at your new job.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I know a lot of people who are looking to move on from jobs. For various reasons.
And the ones I see getting the hits are the ones spending time searching and not just counting on putting their resumes on Monster and Career Builder or handing it out to recruiters.

Yes - I had my resume on Monster and CB. Did it get me much just having it there? Not really. Mostly I got recruiters looking for someone to relocate or just looking for me to help them find connections for jobs that I was overqualified for.

I got the interviews by:
1) Answering ads on the internet boards by searching by geography and with various terms - QA, Manager, Director, Systems, Regulatory - various combinations of these.
2) Going to company websites and applying - I drove around industrial parks to see what companies are in the area and looked up their web site career sections.

And for both I always submitted a cover letter with the application. I have a general template which I tailored to each position.

Bottom line - you have to put in the time and do the research, not wait for them to come to you. That magic-of-the-internet is not working in this market.

T

tomvehoski

I've actually had better luck with Monster, which just got me my new job that was not advertised anywhere. You just have to know how to manage Monster. I also got some pretty good leads off of Dice. Careerbuilder mainly generates spam and check cashing schemes from my experience.

First, you need to update your resume every day. Update date is one of the key sorts, so if it is not current you will drop in the listings. You have to change something to get it to update the date. I found the easiest was to toggle "seasonal" on and off in the profile each day. Dice will update your date just by opening your profile and then clicking save after entering the secret code number.

Also make sure you put every possible keyword in your resume. I added a section at the bottom in 4 point text, white on white, so it is not visible but searches hit on it. It is tough to work in 8D, 7 Step, Kepner Tregoe, and all the other synonyms in the body of a resume.

For searching I found indeed.com the best as it brings together all the major job sites plus many company specific database. A negative is that it can generate a lot of duplicates if a posting is on a company site, and Monster and then gets picked up in other recruiter sites.

AnaMariaVR2

Trusted Information Resource
I agree, there is a way to manage Monster & CB. I only got spam from Monster in the past. On the other hand, I got companies that found me through CB and got interviews & job offers that way even when I didn't initiate the approach.

Anyway I was wondering about time...Timewise, how long did your whole job seeking process lasted?
From starting your job search to getting leads, interview invitations & getting offers?

I'm just wondering...there is a lot of extremely competent people out there that mainly due to being laidoff, they can't find jobs or even interviews and their unemployment benefits are running out. Is their difficulty industry-specific or are there other common lessons transferable into every job seeker's industry ?:confused:

Did you considered a pay cut too? Is that out of the table? I have many questions, I know many people hurting right now struggling to land a job and they don't know what to do anymore.

Thank you in advance for your insight & thank you for starting this discussion.
Ana:)

S

shaggy1812 - 2011

Congratulations,

I just changed jobs too. I spent 4 years kinda-sorta looking. I had a very long commute and wanted a job "back home" so I was picky. My background chemsitry-primarily research, then into tech service and quality control. Not a lot of opportunities. Most of my job changes came from recruiters rather than the big job sites. A lot of interviews came from my local paper. The job I'm in right now actually did come from CB and there were less than 10 realistic candidates. Just spoke with a friend at my old company and they are filling my Technical Manager position with a Quality Manager-they posted it on the local "big city" paper and received over 1000 resume's. Yikes.

I added a section at the bottom in 4 point text, white on white, so it is not visible but searches hit on it.
Excellent idea, i will incorporate that, thanks.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Also make sure you put every possible keyword in your resume. I added a section at the bottom in 4 point text, white on white, so it is not visible but searches hit on it. It is tough to work in 8D, 7 Step, Kepner Tregoe, and all the other synonyms in the body of a resume.
Thanks for posting your experience - and for this great tip!:applause:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Is validation required when consumables are changed Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Should ISO 9004 be changed from a guidance document to a requirements standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
G Special 510K possible? Only the packaging has changed Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
lanley liao What shoud i do if our company top management has been changed. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
L Does a backdate form format can be changed if wrong revision is used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
L GRR for a tolerance that has changed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
R AS9100 DELTA FAI - Sub-supplier for plating changed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S FAIR - If we have not produced a part in over 2 years, but nothing has changed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A How to deal with changed shared components in 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion ISO 9001:2024 - What should be changed in the next Edition of ISO 9001? - REVISION CANCELLED May 2021 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 165
Q Change revision number in document when only codification was changed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B MHRA Unannounced Audits Frequency Changed? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Managing Ongoing Compliance to Standards when they are Changed Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
N AIAG 4th ed. FMEA Manual "Fit" Changed to "Appearance" - Fit severity? FMEA and Control Plans 2
T IEC 62366:2015 Annex C - changed parts from 5.1-5.8 --> but what about 5.9? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 3
A Product status has changed from "tested" to "listed" in the EU Pharmacopoeia EU Medical Device Regulations 1
E Pallets need to be changed when raw materials are transferring from WH to MFG area? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
M FMEA Corrective Action target date changed ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
L What changed in Amendment 1:2011 in the ISO 2859-1:1999? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
B Safety & EMC certificate updated when MCU (MIcro-Controller) is changed? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Did UL 60601-1 change when the IEC 60601-1 standard changed to the 3rd edition? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J PPAP for New Family Revisions when the Part has not changed APQP and PPAP 4
P Losing Accreditation - JAS-ANZ has changed the conditions of non-conformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K EN 13640:2002 number changed to EN ISO 23640:2011 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S SFDA (China's state Food and Drug Administration) changed to CFDA China Medical Device Regulations 6
B PAS99:2012 - What has changed since the 2006 version? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
J Acknowledging Changed Documents and Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J Training/Notice when a New Document is Released or a Document is Changed Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
Marc Report: Facebook e-mail switch changed address books After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Z KPI Formula Issue - "Change Requests Managed" = Changed/Total ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B ISO 11607-1:2009 vs. 2006 - What Changed? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
G Packaging Re-Validation - Sealer machine broke down or was changed to a new one Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 11
K How to apply IEC 62366 and what shall be changed in establishing a Technical File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Y How can FDA supervise devices whose manufacturer name is changed US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
Marc 10 Year Time Capsule: When Napster changed the music industry After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Ajit Basrur Zodiac signs: Has yours changed? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
B Supplier changed their Manufacturing Process - Is a PPAP resubmission required? APQP and PPAP 17
ScottK When do you make your new or changed documents effective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
M Relative - "The machine that changed the World" Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
J Document Format vs Content Revision - Form changed from MS Word to MS Excel Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Auditing Recertification for Changed Standards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Ajit Basrur Websites that changed the Internet Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
I Should We Notify Our Registrar - Has Our Scope Changed? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Michael Malis FDA changed the criteria for Certificate to Foreign Government (CFG) on 12/08/09 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
C 510(K) submission - Is it necessary if we changed from nylon to polyester suture? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
C 510(k) Submitter Name Change question - Only the name of the company is changed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Marc Has the 2009 Swine Influenza (Flu) changed your travel plans? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 22
R Obsolete a DoC if NB (Notifying Body) changed EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Only appearance and PCB are changed - Do we need to submit a new 510(k)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Sidney Vianna What should be changed in the ISO 9001:2015 Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 433