Just Changed Jobs - Ask me anything

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I've actually had better luck with Monster, which just got me my new job that was not advertised anywhere. You just have to know how to manage Monster. I also got some pretty good leads off of Dice. Careerbuilder mainly generates spam and check cashing schemes from my experience.

First, you need to update your resume every day. Update date is one of the key sorts, so if it is not current you will drop in the listings. You have to change something to get it to update the date. I found the easiest was to toggle "seasonal" on and off in the profile each day. Dice will update your date just by opening your profile and then clicking save after entering the secret code number.

Also make sure you put every possible keyword in your resume. I added a section at the bottom in 4 point text, white on white, so it is not visible but searches hit on it. It is tough to work in 8D, 7 Step, Kepner Tregoe, and all the other synonyms in the body of a resume.

For searching I found indeed.com the best as it brings together all the major job sites plus many company specific database. A negative is that it can generate a lot of duplicates if a posting is on a company site, and Monster and then gets picked up in other recruiter sites.

YES! I forgot that tidbit about updating. I updated about once a week because I was employed so there was not great hurry. Even if it was to just change punctuation it bumps you back to the top.

Even with the low signal to noise on CB, that's where I found the job I just started. I got it searching - they didn't come to me, I came to them.

I actually tried The Ladders. That's worth a whole new topic, but the short answer is DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Last edited:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I agree, there is a way to manage Monster & CB. I only got spam from Monster in the past. On the other hand, I got companies that found me through CB and got interviews & job offers that way even when I didn't initiate the approach.

Anyway I was wondering about time...Timewise, how long did your whole job seeking process lasted?
From starting your job search to getting leads, interview invitations & getting offers?
About a year ago I totally updated my resume and profiles just to prepare. About 6 months ago I hit the wall and said "enough, time to go" and began the active process in the evenings at home. Did a lot of phone calls with recruiters and companys - got some face to faces and turned down a couple offers and was not selected by a couple more. After February is when things started to open up and hits really started coming back...not a river, but enough to have some options.

I'm just wondering...there is a lot of extremely competent people out there that mainly due to being laidoff, they can't find jobs or even interviews and their unemployment benefits are running out. Is their difficulty industry-specific or are there other common lessons transferable into every job seeker's industry ?:confused:
I think, here in NJ, there are jobs and it's opening up more. The jobs may not be perfect, but it's back into the work force for unemployed people. I know people who are holding out for exactly what they were doing and that might not be practical.

Did you considered a pay cut too? Is that out of the table? I have many questions, I know many people hurting right now struggling to land a job and they don't know what to do anymore.
No - Since I was employed I was only willing to move on for better pay, better benefits, and better work environment. If I was unemployed it would have been another story.

Thank you in advance for your insight & thank you for starting this discussion.
Ana:)

you are most welcome. I hope this topic and all the feedback can help a lot of people.

AnaMariaVR2

Trusted Information Resource
What did you mean by this? "It is tough to work in 8D, 7 Step, Kepner Tregoe, and all the other synonyms in the body of a resume."

T

tomvehoski

What did you mean by this? "It is tough to work in 8D, 7 Step, Kepner Tregoe, and all the other synonyms in the body of a resume."
Some companies use the 8D method, so when they send a HR intern to seek out resumes, they will query on "8D". Some want people who know the Kepner Tregoe method of corrective action, so they search "Kepner Tregoe". Some want people who know the CAR process, so they search on "CAR". If your resume simply says "Responsible for corrective and preventive action system.", you won't be found since that is not a phrase they are searching for. If you put at the bottom (in white, not pink):

Corrective Action, Preventive Action, CAR, PAR C/P, C/PAR, P/CAR, CAPA, Kepner Tregoe, 8D, 7-step, 5-why, 5 why, five why, 5y,

you will get the search hit but when your resume prints, it won't look bad with a long string of junk at the bottom.

Moncia

Quite Involved in Discussions
Some companies use the 8D method, so when they send a HR intern to seek out resumes, they will query on "8D". Some want people who know the Kepner Tregoe method of corrective action, so they search "Kepner Tregoe". Some want people who know the CAR process, so they search on "CAR". If your resume simply says "Responsible for corrective and preventive action system.", you won't be found since that is not a phrase they are searching for. If you put at the bottom (in white, not pink):

Corrective Action, Preventive Action, CAR, PAR C/P, C/PAR, P/CAR, CAPA, Kepner Tregoe, 8D, 7-step, 5-why, 5 why, five why, 5y,

you will get the search hit but when your resume prints, it won't look bad with a long string of junk at the bottom.

This is a great trick
thanks

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Just curious. Did any of the stuff in our primary job search threads help you?

Well Wes - I think I already knew most of that having been through this before seveal times... not to say they are not valuable topics for people newer to job searching.
I encourage everyone to read them, new or not.

When I started seaching again after several years of not having to worry about it I got the most use out of the Gatekeeper thread.
Until this search I never really thought about it that way and it explained my great frustration with the insistance on 6s 5 years ago. And how I could have addressed it :frust:
But I had not yet found the Cove at that point.

Top Bottom