Just to mess with your mind... What's a "Ton of Money"

J

JRKH

Hello all...Long time no write...Just thought I'd pop in since this little idea has been percolating in my mind for a while and since we have such an international group here..........

I probably should have saved this for a Friday....but here goes.

Here in the US there is a fairly common expression that goes something like, "That's a ton of money"...But how much IS a ton of money? What is the smallest amount that a "ton of money" could be????

Yea - I know, I've got too much time on my hands.....

So I figure that in the U.S., the smallest amount would be a ton of pennies and it would equal $3628.74 USD or 2781.92 EUR.

Anyone else have currency that will yield a smaller "Ton of Money"? :popcorn:

Oh -and to my old friends...My Lady is till hanging in there. She is still a joy to me even though she is unable to do anything for herself. I call her my "cheshire cat" because she has all but disappeared except for her beautiful smile.

Anyway - have fun with this bit of silliness.....

James

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Just ot mess with your mind...What's a "Ton of Money"

If I owe, it's anything over 100 bucks.

Ok, I'll give it a go in Swedish currency:

One Swedish crown (lowest weight/value ratio) weighs in at 7 grams:That would mean 142857 Skr = $21461 or ?16465.

Or?

As 1 US t = 0.907 metric tons, we would be down to 129571 Skr = $19465 = ?14934. The USD is still in the lead, then, but only because we got rid of the smaller coins some years back. :D

James, it's so good to hear from you again, and I'm glad your cheshire cat is still there. :agree:

/Claes

J

JRKH

Hey Claes...Good to hear from you.

There has been talk for some time over here abut dropping the penny. Seems it actually costs more to produce than they are worth.

If they did our next smallest amount - in nickels 5 cents) would be $9071 USD which is still well below your $19465 (in metric tons)...

Yes I'm happy to still have my lady...but I wonder how she keeps hanging on sometimes. She's one tough cookie...

James

harry

Trusted Information Resource
What's a "Ton of Money"

Interesting. Seems to depreciate over time too!

In the early days when people were eking out a living planting whatever that will grow in that season, I guess a ton of money means a lot of money (way beyond imagination).

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
If a ton is 2000 pounds then that'd be about $3020US at current exchange rate. :)

Seriously, though, money used to be equivalent to weights of some valuable commodity. Besides "pound", peso means weight. Peseta means little weight. Sadly, nowadays one pound (sterling) may buy only a pound (avoirdupois) of peanuts on sale.

Top Bottom