Justification of "Design Excluded" in IATF 16949

Going through my audit notes to make some changes and improvements which were identified and I have written "Justify "without design" - section 4.3.1.2 of quality manual". Mind you, the auditor did NOT disagree that we are design excluded. But this is what my manual already reads which sure seems like a straight-forwarded and clear justification to me. Is this not clear enough or detailed enough? What might anyone recommend? Or is it fine and I should leave it as is? Note - it's read this way for years; we had a new auditor this year. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

4.3.1.2 Justification:

"Our company" does not design or develop products. All product characteristics are specified by customers or license holders. Our engineering activities are limited to design and development of manufacturing processes, and thus ISO 9001, Section 8.3, and IATF 16949, Section 8.3, shall be applied only where relevant to the design of manufacturing processes.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not sure
Or is it fine and I should leave it as is? Note - it's read this way for years; we had a new auditor this year. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

4.3.1.2 Justification:

"Our company" does not design or develop products. All product characteristics are specified by customers or license holders. Our engineering activities are limited to design and development of manufacturing processes, and thus ISO 9001, Section 8.3, and IATF 16949, Section 8.3, shall be applied only where relevant to the design of manufacturing processes.

Not sure I understand your question @Teamk1 ;
IF you are saying your certification body (3rd party) auditor wrote a nonconformance for the stated justification (that was in place at the time of the audit), then.......change nothing. IF indeed your organization is NOT design responsible (simply "build to print"), then your justification is well written.

Please provide the actual verbiage from the auditor's non conformance report. Thank you.

Be well.

Thee Bouyyy

Quite Involved in Discussions
But this is what my manual already reads which sure seems like a straight-forwarded and clear justification to me. Is this not clear enough or detailed enough? What might anyone recommend? Or is it fine and I should leave it as is?
Yes, Please leave as it is. This is enough and easy to understand for any one. Don't waste your time on this subject. I don't think so that auditor gave you the non-conformance on this. If so, I wanna see the exact wording of auditor in this case.

Thanks, all!

During the audit there were occasions where the documentation either was too vague, not what the auditor wanted to see, or maybe even wasn't completely buttoned up. On these occasions the auditor agreed that we met the spirit of the requirement and would not write non-conformances where it made no real sense to do so if I promised to go back and make the improvements or changes.

I had taken a great deal of notes during the audit and am now going back to do the work. This note about justification was one of them. He did NOT write a non-conformance. He could clearly see we are not design responsible and have plenty of evidence to show that, and had the justification in the quality manual. Nevertheless, I had that comment in my notes and while it seems fine to me I wanted to get some other opinions to see if it wasn't good or good as it could be.

The general consensus, then, seems to be it's good and to leave it be. Which is what I will do. Thanks again for the input!

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
Super Moderator
would not write non-conformances where it made no real sense to do so if I promised to go back and make the improvements or changes.
not what the auditor wanted to see,
Unbelievable. You may want to consider filing a formal grievance with the certification body and request a different auditor in the future. These positions by the auditor are not acceptable behavior.

Be well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Justification for Exclusion of Design and Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
somashekar Justification for Non-applicable clause at Stage 2, in clause 4. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
M V&V phase: Justification of acceptance criteria (statistical method ) - (Medical Device) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
B Exclusions or justification for non-applicability of IEC standards Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
B Per 21CFR 820.198 (b) - Justification for no investigation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 22
M CER Adverse events - Justification of databases searched EU Medical Device Regulations 5
P IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.2.3 - Justification for non-certified suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
O Statistical justification of sampling size in V&V tests ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
J Calibration Justification - Requirements for Measurement with a Calibrated Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
SATHYABALARAMAN Exclusion of IATF 16949 Clauses - 8.5.5.1 & 8.5.5.2 & Justification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
N Sample Size Justification for Medical Device Shelf-Life Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
M Justification for Not Having a Validation Plan for a Critical Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B EMC Repeat Justification - Reducing NRTL testing required after modification of ME IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
A Biocompatibility omission justification for FDA 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
G Exemption Filing / Exemption Justification RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
H Factory Dictated Sample Size Justification Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
S Justification of Lifetime of a Medical Device including Component Aspects ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
C Justification for No CAPA in Complaint Files Nonconformance and Corrective Action 24
Q Sample Size justification for IEC 60601-1 Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Wes Bucey A justification to take HR out of hiring Career and Occupation Discussions 3
S Establishing an MSA Plan and Justification Suggestions wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
G Sampling Plan - Sample Size Justification for a Bottling Cleaning Process Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
M Justification for Month End Calibration Date Calibration Frequency (Interval) 24
X Justification of Decrease in Receivables, Increase in Negative Cashflows Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
J Sampling Plan Justification and Rationale Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
S MDR (Medical Device Reporting) Justification - Canned Statements Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
P Out of Tolerance Gage - Justification for not Recalling Product Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
Wes Bucey Justification for organization's tax-exempt status? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
C Looking for Skills Matrix & Justification of skill levels. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A Justification for not performing overseas supplier audit General Auditing Discussions 6
Q Justification/Rationale for not investigating a nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
P Reference Only Gages - "For Reference Only" Rationale (Reasoning/Justification) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
G Justification for Supplier Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 3
M Justification for not doing Gage R&R Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
J Medical Device FMEA Occurence Rating Scale Justification FMEA and Control Plans 3
J What would be the justification for exclusion of ISO9001 clause 7.5.1? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J Software Justification in a Lean Environment - Convincing Management Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
R Frequency of self control and costs - Justification for 4 Hours vs. Every Hour IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N CE Mark Auditing - All they had for CE was a written Technical Justification EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Cost Justification Based Upon Intangibles - Cost of Quality Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
D Finding Optimum Design Parameters using Taguchi method? Using Minitab Software 0
S ISO13485:2016 7.3.9 design and development change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Managing design verification regression testing of design changes Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
K Design History File - Looking for Examples of DHF's. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Watchcat Software validation vs design V&V? Other US Medical Device Regulations 27
S Design & Development records for Medical Devices Packaging and Labelling ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
D Using electronic lab notebooks in the design control process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Essential Design Outputs for SAMD 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H Contract Manufacturer as Design Owner ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6