SBS - the best value in QMS software

Kaizen Blitz - Who can tell me how to do Kaizen Blitz?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
W

wmarhel

Hello everybody.
Who can tell me how to do Kaizen Blitz? Thanks a lot.
I would recommend that you either find somebody local who is practicing and see if you can attend one of their events. Another option is to hire a "good" consultant to come to your company and facilitate an event. You might even want to look at a "train-the-trainer" option.

If you want a book, you can always try the, "Kaizen Desk Reference Standard". It's okay in my opinion, but this is something that you really need to experience first-hand in my opinion.

Wayne.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
It's interesting. I agree it seems like an oxymoron, but I suppose it's okay to carefully make a targeted little Kaizen project called "blitz" meaning "event".

Here is a web site that quickly describes it.

This site offers a helpful-looking little timeline. This one applies a project focus on the subject and describes the management aspect.

I am not affiliated with any of these companies.

antoine.dias

Quite Involved in Discussions
It's interesting. I agree it seems like an oxymoron, but I suppose it's okay to carefully make a targeted little Kaizen project called "blitz" meaning "event".

Here is a web site that quickly describes it.

This site offers a helpful-looking little timeline. This one applies a project focus on the subject and describes the management aspect.

I am not affiliated with any of these companies.
Thanks Jennifer for the links.
" Blitz " does not mean " event " as you indicate.
It means " Lightning " or " flash " - So Kaizen blitz means " a quick Kaizen event " as opposed to the normal " several weeks event of Kaizen ".

For the OP : the explanations on the links provided by Jennifer are a good starting point. If you have more specific questions afterwards, I am sure you will get help here.

Best regards,

Antoine

W

wmarhel

There are two terms: Kaikaku and Kaizen.

KAIKAKU: Radical improvements or reform that affect the future value stream. Often these are changes in business practices of business systems.

Is really more related to the week-long event than is kaizen. Here is an article.

KAIZEN: (改善, Japanese for "change for the better" or "improvement", the English translation is "continuous improvement", or "continual improvement"). It is today closely associated with the Toyota Production System.

I think the term kaizen was more attractive and/or easier to understand (although there still seems to be plenty of disagreement about what it is or isn't after more than two decades worth of literature).

The kaizen event is also a large selling tool for many consultants who basically come into an area of your company and cherry-pick all the low hanging fruit. Given the myriad number and quality of the companies the members of The Cove have experienced, is there any doubt that improvements can't be shown. Yet the sad part is, many of the ideas generated during these kaizen events are the same thing the workers in that area have been screaming about for years.

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bill Pflanz

On the ASQ Discussion Board, Akio Miura has discussed the meaning of Japanese quality terms. As a native Japanese, he not only understands literal translation but the meaning of the terms in their culture. Here are some of his thoughts on Kaizen.

The “kaizen” in correct Japanese language is “improvement”. In my definition, improvement is to make good (or at least not bad) things better. I know many people in the world are confused in interpretation of “improvement”, “correction”, and “corrective action”. In Japan, it is much worse recently. Most Japanese companies do not know its correct meaning in their own language, and have been using this term in the wrong sense in the past 30 years. - Akio Miura
In addition, he also says:

In some ASQ books, “kaizen” is defined as “incremental change”, instead of improvement. I guess it is the result of their observing the actual status of kaizen usage by such Japanese companies. Many Lean kaizen people claim that they made improvement when they made some change, regardless of whether the result is good or bad. It looks to be improvement only from appearance, or just by misconception. So the definition of “kaizen” as “incremental change” is appropriate for such kaizen, reflecting their actual practice. - Akio Miura
In general, he feels that kaizen has been misunderstood and not used correctly even in Japan.

Bill Pflanz

D

duecesevenOS - 2009

I have read this in a few different places so now I'm a little curious if it's accurate or not. I was told that a better definition of Kaizen wasn't necessarily continious improvement. It could be better clarified by the root of "zen" in the word. Zen being an "ideal state" or "state of perfection." So a good translation for kaizen would be improvement (everyone seems to agree that you are trying to improve things for kaizen:cool: ) towards perfection.

I personally, really like this definition because it goes well with all of the TPS concepts that I've learned or taught. I think that if you translate it this way a "kaizen blitz" isn't necessarily an oxymoron. I personally think that a kaizen blitz can be a VERY good thing. They can energize people and really show a commitment to improvement. A kaizen blitz will definitely help in pushing a process towards perfection. Unfortunately pursuing perfection is a never ending goal so a kaizen blitz (no matter how successful) can only be a small step in an overarching kaizen policy. That's where the small, incremental changes on a daily basis come into play.

Just because I like this definition doesn't necessarily mean that it is accurate so....

Tim Folkerts

Super Moderator
Thanks Jennifer for the links.
" Blitz " does not mean " event " as you indicate.
It means " Lightning " or " flash " - So Kaizen blitz means " a quick Kaizen event " as opposed to the normal " several weeks event of Kaizen ".

For the OP : the explanations on the links provided by Jennifer are a good starting point. If you have more specific questions afterwards, I am sure you will get help here.

Best regards,

Antoine
While I certainly agree that "blitz" has its roots in the German word for "lightning", the meaning (at least in American English) had evolved.

During WWII the word gained two meanings. "Blitzkrieg" ("lightning warfare") was the intense (and rapid) attack strategy of Germany. "The Blitz" was the term given to the intense (but prolonged) bombardment of London.

The term has come to mean any intense (and usually brief) "attack". A "media blitz" would be a whole bunch of ads in a short time in order to get a product known. in American football, a "blitz" is when extra people are sent in to "attack" the quarterback.

So a "kaizen blitz" would imply an intense but brief kaizen activity where extra people are committed to an improvement effort.

Tim F

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Lean Kaizen: continuous, step-by-step improvement in the Lean direction Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
I New to LEAN but not to Quality - How to run Kaizen events Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
C Kaizen Events - Factors Affecting Failure Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
T The difference between SOP and Kaizen Standardization Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
V 21 CFR 820 Compliant way to use Kaizen to address Nonconformances Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
B Kaizen Event - Which tools to use? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
A Kaizen implementation in telcos Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
M Where to start Maintenance Function Kaizen Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
T Kaizen vs. Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 6
Q I was assigned as Kaizen Leader for our MRB Area - Your advice appreciated Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
T Implementing a Kaizen Team - Where Should I begin? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
W Kaizen in the Engineering Dept - Have you done it? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
A Definition Continual Improvement vs. Kaizen - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
A Difference between formal and informal Kaizen Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
D EBIT Cost Savings after Kaizen Event Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
D KAIZEN Event "tools to use" Brain Jogger - Your thoughts please Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
A Kaizen Team Charter worksheet needed Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
P How do you know 3G (Gemba, Gembutsu, Genjitsu) in workshop kaizen? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
S Kaizen event for the final QA inspection process - Kaizen help Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
P Kaizen your life with the Ten Lessons for Good Health World News 15
M Implementing Kaizen in a Construction Company Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
M Is there a Kaizen Certification? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
M KAIZEN .doc File Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
P Ideas for Kaizen Event Posters in my Company needed Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4
D Kaizen Plan - What do you think about my Kaizen Plan? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 21
W Kaizen or Rework Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
W T-Shirt Kaizen? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
D Is a Kaizen Event really Kaizen? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 15
C Kaizen practitioners in Los Angeles? Come into my plant and execute Kaizen events Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
A Supermaket container label sample? Implementing Kaizen for one product line Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
C Kaikaku / Kaizen - Which aspects of lean fit in kaikaku and which in kaizen? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
Marc Definition Quality Circles (aka Kaizen Team) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
H What is the Difference between Kaizen and Six Sigma? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
S The theories and practices of Deming, Juran, Kaizen and several others Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 3
B The Idea Generator - Quick and Easy Kaizen Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
A Prioritized Reduction Plan & Kaizen IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Kaizen Storage using the 5S Principles of this Concept Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
Marc Kaizan - Kaizen - Looking for information on setting up a Kaizan system Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
K How do Kaizen and 5S (Five S) fit in a quality system? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S 5S blitz workshop - One of my first missions is to develop a 5S training course Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
M Informational Some things the EU MDR 2017/745 does not tell you, but you may need to know to comply with it effectively – Part 1 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G Can anyone tell me about Tooling FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
O Which is better - Quietly quit using a supplier or tell supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
R Can anyone tell me requirements standards for insufflator? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
C Quick - Tell me everything you know about TS 16949! LOL IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
V Tell me about AS9015 Requirement for the delegation of Product Verification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Tell me about Benchmarking Benchmarking 4
N How can you tell if Flame Retardant "kicks off" in plastic? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Can anybody tell me about p & np chart? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
B How do I tell my boss to write neatly without offending her? Career and Occupation Discussions 8