Kaizen vs. Six Sigma Certification

T

tori2432

I am researching Six Sigma certification. Having been very successful at Honda Quality Circles and the Kaizen events from my Japanese Auto Supplier, I wonder why they didn't call them Six Sigma projects. They entailed all the meat and potatoes but look useless on a resume. Having to start over as a green belt and work up to getting a black belt is depressing as I won several trips to Japan as a result of my Kaizen events.
I did a search on certifications for Six Sigma belts and there are a slew of companies willing to give you a cert for anything with the right price. If you were hiring a six sigma black belt, what evidence are you looking for?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Anyone can get Six Sigma "certified" for the right price. I have some standard questions:
1. Talk me through your certification project.
2. Tell me about a difficult project & how you overcame the difficulties.

Then during their answers I ask about the tools used. Question 1 weeds out plenty of imposters. certification without a project? I don't think so.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
there is also a difference between six sigma and lean. from my days at Honda and from typical definitions of QC circles and Kaizen I would interpret your experience (as good and valuable as it may be) as more lean and 'simpler' technical problems. Six Sigma is intended for complex technical Problems (physics if you will) unless you are thinking of transactional (business process six sigma).

What are you looking for from a green belt certification?

T

tori2432

It has been a few years since I was at that company and then I had some me time to go to school for graphic design but my projects were my pride and joy. One of them detailed how we researched high scrap in tools - specifically cutting tools for an armature line. We threw away thousands of dollars in diamond tip cutting tools each year. After some investigation I found that the head company had set a limit on all tools as to when to change them and toss the used one away whether it was still good or not. I had set up a team from floor associates and myself however I was a Quality Engineer with access to all records so I did the majority of the discovery work and creating the powerpoint presentation. We ran trails on the cutting tools collecting runout and surface roughness data and found that the tools we used were much better and lasted longer. We increased the cutting area check and let the tools run until the checks started showing increasing data. We ended up saving over a million dollars a year on this project. I think I have a CD with the presentation still somewhere along with a few others. I just joined ASQ and my current boss indicated he would pay for my six sigma certificate. He said - another black belt at the company would be great! I really enjoyed my projects and think this is a great direction for my future jobs as well. I tried to find how potential employers are verifying six sigma certificates but figured an ASQ cert would be sufficient with my project background.

T

tori2432

The company I worked for was a manuf of DC motors for Honda, Nissan, etc. My goal was to reduce waste in the manufacturing lines. Another project identified how cutting chips were getting into the commutators and we drastically reduced that defect, another was improving the fusing process... all won trips to Japan to compete for bigger trips. Seems the winners were either from India or Mexico... hmm.....!

J

jeffreywsaak

SME (Society of Manufacturing Engineers) is good is providing certifications. I got certified from there itself. It helps in the long run and their faculty members are also very helpful Go for it without having a second thought. :cool:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H What is the Difference between Kaizen and Six Sigma? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
G Lean Kaizen: continuous, step-by-step improvement in the Lean direction Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
I New to LEAN but not to Quality - How to run Kaizen events Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
C Kaizen Events - Factors Affecting Failure Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
T The difference between SOP and Kaizen Standardization Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
V 21 CFR 820 Compliant way to use Kaizen to address Nonconformances Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
B Kaizen Event - Which tools to use? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
A Kaizen implementation in telcos Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
M Where to start Maintenance Function Kaizen Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
Q I was assigned as Kaizen Leader for our MRB Area - Your advice appreciated Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
T Implementing a Kaizen Team - Where Should I begin? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
W Kaizen in the Engineering Dept - Have you done it? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
A Definition Continual Improvement vs. Kaizen - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
A Difference between formal and informal Kaizen Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
D EBIT Cost Savings after Kaizen Event Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
D KAIZEN Event "tools to use" Brain Jogger - Your thoughts please Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
A Kaizen Team Charter worksheet needed Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
P How do you know 3G (Gemba, Gembutsu, Genjitsu) in workshop kaizen? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
S Kaizen event for the final QA inspection process - Kaizen help Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
P Kaizen your life with the Ten Lessons for Good Health World News 15
M Implementing Kaizen in a Construction Company Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
M Is there a Kaizen Certification? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
M KAIZEN .doc File Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
P Ideas for Kaizen Event Posters in my Company needed Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4
D Kaizen Plan - What do you think about my Kaizen Plan? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 21
W Kaizen or Rework Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
W T-Shirt Kaizen? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
P Kaizen Blitz - Who can tell me how to do Kaizen Blitz? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
D Is a Kaizen Event really Kaizen? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 15
C Kaizen practitioners in Los Angeles? Come into my plant and execute Kaizen events Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
A Supermaket container label sample? Implementing Kaizen for one product line Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
C Kaikaku / Kaizen - Which aspects of lean fit in kaikaku and which in kaizen? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
Marc Definition Quality Circles (aka Kaizen Team) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
S The theories and practices of Deming, Juran, Kaizen and several others Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 3
B The Idea Generator - Quick and Easy Kaizen Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
A Prioritized Reduction Plan & Kaizen IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Kaizen Storage using the 5S Principles of this Concept Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
Marc Kaizan - Kaizen - Looking for information on setting up a Kaizan system Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
K How do Kaizen and 5S (Five S) fit in a quality system? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
B IATF 16949 News Six month extension on all valid IATF 16949 certs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 10
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 7
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
Marc ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 - Phoenix, AZ ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
Bev D ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Levels of Lean Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 3
T AS9100 Shop Travelers - Six Questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
J Excellent Resource on Statistics / Lean / Six Sigma Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
M How Organizations maintain Six Sigma and TQM in their Operations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6